1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

1981 longbed woes...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-1999, 01:22 AM
John Heffelfinger
1981 longbed woes...

Hey guys, I need to pick your brain. I picked up a 1981 F150 with the 8 ft bed, standard cab. The bed had been hit in front of the rear, driver's side tire (just below the front gas tank filler cap). The owner tried to pound out the dent, and made it into a "work truck". Here's the thing, I got the truck cheap enough and would like to keep it that way. ($600 from someone at church, 92,000 original miles). I was quoted $600 to fix the bed, and that was without painting it. How hard is it to transfer a bed off of another truck if I find one, and what does it entail? IN ADDITION, DID FORD MAKE A 8 FT BED IN A STEP SIDE FROM 1980-86? WILL THE 8FT STEPSIDE BED FROM THE 70'S WORK? Thanks for the help.---John

Old 10-31-1999, 04:38 PM
Mark H.
1981 longbed woes...

I use to have a '81 (should have never sold it) Before I sold it I repainted it and since it had a rusted bed (no wheel well lip) I replaced it, I got a close to rust free one for $100 and put that one on (after everything was painted) It really isn't that hard, there is 6 ( I think it is 6) bolts that hold it in, if you look in the bed you can see them, well I tried to remove one but is was pretty tight and I assume yours wont just come out eather, what I did was used a angle grinder (if you don't have one you can buy cheap ones for around $25-30, that is what I did) and after a long time of grinding and about 3 grinding wheels I had all 6 out ( there is probably a better way but it beat laying underneath with a wrench cursing) after they are out you have to detach the gas filler tube from the bed, make sure it is off the hanger to. Then the last and by far the easiest is the wiring, look under the back of the bed, right around the middle, there is a wire plug, just pull it appart. Then get two or three friends ( I used two but could have really used three for balence) and lift it off.

As for the step side bed, I know, I really wanted one to but the 8 foot one doesn't look as neat as a 6 footer so I think I would stay with the regular bed. Although I think the 70's bed will fit, but the fuel filler might be different and the wiring is almost sure to be.

Old 11-01-1999, 12:14 AM
BigBrownTruck
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1981 longbed woes...

Old 11-01-1999, 10:27 AM
deleontow
Laughing Gas
1981 longbed woes...

Just for info, Ford did not make an 8 Foot Step Side, they are all short beds. As for replacing the bed. It is very easy, just remove the 6 bolts holding the bed down, some use a torx bit size T55 and unplug your tail lights, remove the filler tank hose, and a few of your friends to help you lift the bed off. You should be able to find a bed cheaper than repairing the one you have

Oh and by the way 1980 thru 1986 fit and also 1987 thru 1997 will fit but there is a small cosmetic difference.

<a href="http://members.aol.com/deleontow/auto/index.htm">http://members.aol.com/deleontow/auto/index.htm</a>

Old 11-01-1999, 02:45 PM
john
Senior User
1981 longbed woes...

Thanks for the help. I guess it won't be that hard, just have to find one in good shape. I hope I can find one that is white, that way I won't have to paint the truck for a while. Best of luck.