Error code: Excessive EGR flow

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 05:40 PM
psu1xj
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Error code: Excessive EGR flow

Hey!

I've got an '01 F-150 with the 4.2 and M5OD. Friday it began showing the error code for Excessive EGR flow. I cleared the code, replaced the EGR valve. Today it threw out the same code again.

I guess I'm going to replace the EGR solenoid and maybe the sensor that controls them, as well, but haven't been able to because the dealer is the only place in my area that seems to carry them...and they keep bankers' hours.

Anyway, can anyone who's dealt with this code tell me what finally fixed it?

Thanks!

-Sam

Old 06-13-2005, 05:46 PM
NHRstein
Senior User
did you check the DPFE sensor, that is a common malfunction. It's located just before the EGR valve, and uses differential pressure to monitor the flow of gas through the valve.

Old 06-13-2005, 07:09 PM
psu1xj
Senior User
Hey!

Not yet. Is that the round-ish device located on the right side nearer the firewall that has a vacuum tube running to the EGR valve? That was the part I was going to get at the dealer, though I couldn't remember the name. I'll get one tomorrow, if I can get there during their convienient (only for them) business hours.

Thanks!

-Sam

Old 06-14-2005, 08:50 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No, that round thing on the firewall is not the DPFE.
Do a Google search for Ford DPFE and you'll be able to find one that should give you an idea of what to look for.
DPFE = Differential Pressure Feedback Exhaust gas recirculating valve

You should fine it passenger's side, near the throttle body.

Last edited by BrianA; 06-14-2005 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:56 PM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the round thng is the brake booster

Old 06-15-2005, 05:49 AM
psu1xj
Senior User
Sheesh! I meant that it has a round/cylindrical top on it. Yes, I got the right part and replaced it last night. Cleared the error code and drove about 30 miles with no more lights. Before, when I just changed the valve, it took about 30 minutes of driving, starting with the engine cold, to show a code. We'll see.

By the way...one thread on this in the archives mentions some guy getting the dealer to swap one out for him for $175 or so... The part cost me $28, and it took 5 minutes to replace. I want to make that labor rate!

Thanks!

-Sam

Old 06-15-2005, 04:33 PM
travlnman
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
It's worse than you thought. I got a letter on my '02 that said that there was a "recall" or tsb on that part, and that I could get it for free, or get reimbursed if I had already replaced it. I needed a receipt, which was gone, but I replaced mine at about 100,000. Look up the tsb's on your model truck, you may get your money back.

Old 06-15-2005, 06:20 PM
psu1xj
Senior User
Well, now I'm getting annoyed.

Replaced EGR valve, cleared code. Next morning the light came on after about 20 min of driving.

Replaced DPFE Sensor, cleared code. This morning the light came on after about 10 min. of driving.

So, valve and sensor are both good, and I still get the code.

Ugh. Help?

-Sam

Old 06-16-2005, 05:35 PM
NHRstein
Senior User
the dpfe sensor should be located just to the left of the valve, There are two lines coming up from the valve input line going to a small rectangluar looking thing near the throttle body. should have a 3 conductor electrical plug on it as well, if you want i can send you pice of the thing. It costs about 20 bucks and might be all you need.

//John

Old 06-17-2005, 06:54 AM
psu1xj
Senior User
Originally Posted by NHRstein
the dpfe sensor should be located just to the left of the valve, There are two lines coming up from the valve input line going to a small rectangluar looking thing near the throttle body. should have a 3 conductor electrical plug on it as well, if you want i can send you pice of the thing. It costs about 20 bucks and might be all you need.

//John
Hey!

I've already replaced the DPFE sensor (located on the right side top, near the intake manifold, just under the hood cowl -- a pair of vacuum lines and an electrical plug). Are you speaking of another sensor?

Thanks!

-Sam

Old 06-17-2005, 04:03 PM
travlnman
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Mine was not under the cowl. On my truck (an '02), the dpfe sensor is just to the left of the egr valve. The small round thing with the connector near my cowl is the solenoid for the egr valve, which basically gets a signal from the computer, that opens the solenoid valve, and lets vacuum flow to the egr valve, which is then measured by the dpfe sensor. Different year models have different locations, but if those were truly "vacuum" lines, then you replaced the egr solenoid. If they were just two hoses that go to a metal pipe that comes off the exhaust manifold, then you replaced the dpfe sensor.

I know it's confusing, but I bet that our locations are similar, 'cause they are only one year apart. The solenoid is round, and the dpfe is square,or rectangle, one plug, and two ports on the bottom that the aforementioned hoses go to.

Old 06-18-2005, 08:52 AM
psu1xj
Senior User
Hey!

Well, I am confused, then. I asked for the DPFE sensor at the dealer's parts counter. Guy said, "DPFE sensor...$28.00"

It has two plastic hoses (linked together in a single rubber boot which plugs into it) and an electrical connector. The top 1/2 of it looks like a cylindar about 1" tall, maybe 1-1/2" diameter, under that are the ears for the two mounting bolts, and the bosses for the different connectors. It is definately mounted over near the battery, and tucked up under the cowl.

I'm going to go look through my manual again and see what I can figure out.

Thanks!

-Sam

Old 06-18-2005, 08:58 AM
psu1xj
Senior User
RRrrrrgh. O.k. So the manual shows a very rectangular box as the DPFE sensor, and the round-topped thing I replaced as the Electronic Vacuum Regulator.

Looks like the parts guy grabbed the wrong thing. Oh well. I'm out $28, but at least I know that's NOT it. (yay.)

I'll see about getting a REAL DPFE today.

Thanks again!

-Sam

Old 06-18-2005, 04:10 PM
psu1xj
Senior User
Hey!

Went to the dealer, asked for DPFE sensor. "There are two kinds for that truck. If you don't know what yours looks like, there's no way to tell which it is. One costs $40, one costs $80."

I bought both, took them back home and installed the right one (it was the $40 one...YAAY!). Cleared the code and drove the truck back to the dealer to return the un-used one.

No new codes have appeared, so I'll hope for the best!

The new sensor does not look just like the one it replaced, but its ports and connection are identical. The electronics box part of it is about 1/2 again bigger than the old one.

Thanks again for the help!

-Sam

Old 06-18-2005, 09:03 PM
farm-stretch
New User
http://www.tomco-inc.com/Catalog/dpfe%20sensors.pdf

id the right DPFE sensor for all Ford's.

Quick Reply: Error code: Excessive EGR flow