bigdaddyTank
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 06-10-2005, 05:18 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RedTaurus94
I have looked at the USED oil option and I am very interested. Perhaps I am not ready to make a $1500 commitment to run used veggie in my truck with fuel around $2 per gallon. But, as the cost of fuel goes up, so does the practicality of going this route. I have to wonder what the implications of not paying highway fuel tax are. You know the government will jump on this as soon as they figure it out.

How appealing does using used veggie oil become if fuel prices approach $3? $4?? $5??? or even more????
I figered some numbers and @ the current diesel price I would have to drive 40K miles to PAY OFF THE TRUCK!!. so it seamed really sensable for me, cuz I put 52K on the '97 in a year and a half!!!!! so the '96 "should" be paid for in saved fuel right at the one year mark. but realisticly I think it will be closer to two years, either way I will have a paid off truck, and free fuel within 30 months from now.

Diesel Rod

Old 06-10-2005, 11:32 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
If you live in the state of Washington, this guy's fuel prices make a rather long journey worth the trip for fuel. His web site is quoting $2.22 per gallon of bio, road tax paid. You have to buy it by the barrel and pump it yourself. He also has filtered WVO for less than $1.00 per gallon. Two different choice/prices depending on what you want.
www.donnelsonbiodiesel.com

Old 06-12-2005, 06:24 AM
997.3okie
Freshman User
This is a very interesting thread.

I work for the worlds largest offshore oilwell construction company. I have witnessed some interesting things and have seen just how much the government screws things up. The problem with the price of fuel is not normally related to the how much oil is recovered worlwide. Most of it is geopolitical problems and predominantly in the U.S. local, state and federal regulation, taxing etc. Prices were recently affected by the dip in stockpiles of crude. This happens and stockpiles are recovering as they have in the past. Our problem is that we have not increased our refining capacity in over twenty years if my memory is correct. During the summer months we are at full refining capacity just to meet a normal demand. Add to this the fact that some facilities actually stop refining because they don't produce one of the myriad "blends" that are now required at the different federal, state and even local levels in some cases. Price fluctuations can be affected locally simply because of the supply problems associated with demand and actually getting a certain blend to a certain part of the country at certain parts of the year.

Nor does anybody want the new facilities to receive oil or natural gas at major coastal ports. The old "not in my backyard thing".

Believe it or not oil production to your gas tank, forgetting government involvement, has actually gone down in the cost per barrel in real terms because of improved recovery methods, superior technology and logistics all the way from well construction to the pump. There is currently plenty of oil out there. More seeps out of natural fissures in the sea floor than you might imagine. Canada, our largest source of oil from a single country, has over a third of the oil in the mideast as yet untapped because it costs more to recover there, they would need prices to stabilize about $10 a barrel higher than average of the last few years. We are even noticing that previously abandoned wells are seeing oil flowing back into them, something previously not expected.

Sorry, i'll shut up now. I guess the point is that we need to fix the problem here which is not oil or, for the most part, those we get it from. Someone alluded to the government getting into the act once they see biodiesel really take off and he is absolutely right. If you want to escape higher prices you may never stop running.

Americans are innovators and will find the best, most economical alternative to oil when the market dictates it to be necessary. I am sure of that. The current higher prices are not market driven but bad government policy driven I am afraid that whatever alternative we seek out the government, with its evergrowing appetite will not be far behind.

Old 06-12-2005, 08:37 AM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by 997.3okie
This is a very interesting thread.

I work for the worlds largest offshore oilwell construction company. I have witnessed some interesting things and have seen just how much the government screws things up. The problem with the price of fuel is not normally related to the how much oil is recovered worlwide. Most of it is geopolitical problems and predominantly in the U.S. local, state and federal regulation, taxing etc. Prices were recently affected by the dip in stockpiles of crude. This happens and stockpiles are recovering as they have in the past. Our problem is that we have not increased our refining capacity in over twenty years if my memory is correct. During the summer months we are at full refining capacity just to meet a normal demand. Add to this the fact that some facilities actually stop refining because they don't produce one of the myriad "blends" that are now required at the different federal, state and even local levels in some cases. Price fluctuations can be affected locally simply because of the supply problems associated with demand and actually getting a certain blend to a certain part of the country at certain parts of the year.

Nor does anybody want the new facilities to receive oil or natural gas at major coastal ports. The old "not in my backyard thing".

Believe it or not oil production to your gas tank, forgetting government involvement, has actually gone down in the cost per barrel in real terms because of improved recovery methods, superior technology and logistics all the way from well construction to the pump. There is currently plenty of oil out there. More seeps out of natural fissures in the sea floor than you might imagine. Canada, our largest source of oil from a single country, has over a third of the oil in the mideast as yet untapped because it costs more to recover there, they would need prices to stabilize about $10 a barrel higher than average of the last few years. We are even noticing that previously abandoned wells are seeing oil flowing back into them, something previously not expected.

Sorry, i'll shut up now. I guess the point is that we need to fix the problem here which is not oil or, for the most part, those we get it from. Someone alluded to the government getting into the act once they see biodiesel really take off and he is absolutely right. If you want to escape higher prices you may never stop running.

Americans are innovators and will find the best, most economical alternative to oil when the market dictates it to be necessary. I am sure of that. The current higher prices are not market driven but bad government policy driven I am afraid that whatever alternative we seek out the government, with its evergrowing appetite will not be far behind.

well spoken, and i believe you are correct! thanks man!

Old 06-12-2005, 08:43 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
997.3okie very good post.

Old 06-12-2005, 09:00 AM
MobeyDick
Posting Guru
Ford recomends no more than 5% Biodiesel. I think (in the South) you could run 20% with no modifications, with no problems!! Modificationd are Fuel heaters to keep the veg oil from gelling.

Old 06-12-2005, 09:00 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by roaky81
I just read on MSNBC, http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8129979/ about a diesel car (I think by Dam-Chrysler) that was getting 70-80 MPG's. It looks ugly as sin, but developed 140 HP. The article talks more about the design of the body & chassis then it does about the motor. Still an interesting read, especially how they treat the emissions down the tail pipe.
The VW Lupo 3L (so named for its ability to get 3 litres per 100km) gets 78mpg, and it is a production car.