2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vent Visors question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 11:25 AM
Toreador
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vent Visors question.

Howdy doody all. I'm thinking of adding Vent Visors to the truck. I read that clip on types cause wind noise and adheasive types actually reduce wind noise. True?? Bottom line question is which brand vent visor reduces wind noise the best? Thank U.

Old 06-05-2005, 12:39 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dual posting I see...
Everything that sticks out will make some noise. The amount I get from my Autoshade Vent Visors is not a problem. They are inchannel and work quite well. I think they would look good with a low profile bug deflector, but I haven't got around to getting one yet.
Chris

Old 06-05-2005, 09:12 PM
4x4twinkie
Freshman User
I got the stick on vent visors by accident and I wish I would have gotten the in channel visors. There is no wind noise but it doesnt look right because it covers up some of the painted part of the door. I would say get the in channel visors!!!

Old 06-06-2005, 11:18 AM
Toreador
Elder User
Originally Posted by ChrisAdams
Dual posting I see...
Everything that sticks out will make some noise. The amount I get from my Autoshade Vent Visors is not a problem. They are inchannel and work quite well. I think they would look good with a low profile bug deflector, but I haven't got around to getting one yet.
Chris
Double yer pleasure, double your fun!!! Anyway, my theory would be the visors would channel the wind away from the door/window edges and reduce wind noise. If not true then I don't want vent visors. I want overall less cabin noise when I'm done with all my mods.

Old 06-06-2005, 11:25 AM
bobri
Freshman User
I also went with the in channel Autoshade Vent Visors and love them...no noise at all.

Old 06-06-2005, 12:15 PM
EnergizerBunny69
Senior User
I agree. I installed the AutoShade Vent Visors (In-Channel) on my truck and I love them. I looked at different models of visors made by different companies before I made my decision. I liked the design of the AutoShade. The additional noise is actually less than that of the mirrors. The noise is very minimal

Old 06-06-2005, 03:03 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by EnergizerBunny69
I agree. I installed the AutoShade Vent Visors (In-Channel) on my truck and I love them. I looked at different models of visors made by different companies before I made my decision. I liked the design of the AutoShade. The additional noise is actually less than that of the mirrors. The noise is very minimal
Toreador, note the above quote, and the word minimal... There is no way any outside add-on is going to lower your inside sound. Well, except for a tonneau, but that doesn't go on the cab... If I was trying to make my truck quieter I would check into adding sound absorbing material under the carpet, inside the doors. etc. There is no sound proofing stuff in there now, they use the 'quiet steel' instead. Seems to work well, but you could add Dynamat or something to improve it.
Chris

Old 06-06-2005, 07:55 PM
UfosBigRigsnBBQ
New User
I also went with the in channel Autoshade Vent Visors. I love 'em and the noise is minimal. I also like the fact that they are low profile and it almost looks like the truck came from the factory that way. Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.

Old 06-06-2005, 11:37 PM
Toreador
Elder User
Toreador, note the above quote, and the word minimal... There is no way any outside add-on is going to lower your inside sound. Well, except for a tonneau, but that doesn't go on the cab... If I was trying to make my truck quieter I would check into adding sound absorbing material under the carpet, inside the doors. etc. There is no sound proofing stuff in there now, they use the 'quiet steel' instead. Seems to work well, but you could add Dynamat or something to improve it.
Chris
Seems to be the consensus. No vent visors for me. Guess my theory is not correct. I do intend to do as you say (and have already done some of that). The goal is to make this as comfortable and quiet a ride I can possibly get. Thanks all.

Old 06-07-2005, 01:13 PM
Firewiz
Senior User
I had the AutoVent in channel ones! After the winter was over, I took them out for a few reasons...

1. Didn't like the look after a while. My truck is black, and adding them made the windows look awkwardly smaller.

2. This winter, I had a few incidents where the window had trouble going all the way up or down. I was afraid I would hit the express down by mistake, and it wouldnt go down being ajar, and burn out the window motor!

3. If I want aairflow, I'll just crack the sunroof and rear slider!

Old 06-07-2005, 01:59 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Firewiz
I had the AutoVent in channel ones! After the winter was over, I took them out for a few reasons...

1. Didn't like the look after a while. My truck is black, and adding them made the windows look awkwardly smaller.

2. This winter, I had a few incidents where the window had trouble going all the way up or down. I was afraid I would hit the express down by mistake, and it wouldnt go down being ajar, and burn out the window motor!

3. If I want aairflow, I'll just crack the sunroof and rear slider!
1. Yeah, on a black truck that might be a real problem. On my silver, it looks better.

2. Must not have been in right. I have express up/down on both my windows. Not a problem.

3. I use the fan and open the rear slider sometimes. Easy on a reg cab. The Ventvisors work good on parking with the window down slightly. Much cooler inside, and nobody can get anything into the window because it is covered by the visor.
Chris

Old 06-07-2005, 09:24 PM
Firewiz
Senior User
2. Must not have been in right. I have express up/down on both my windows. Not a problem.
Yeah...only had the prob with the drivers window too...things were a bit snug. Everything was installed correctly too.

1. Yeah, on a black truck that might be a real problem. On my silver, it looks better.
Ive noticed other things on the Black truck too...like because you can see the frame from the side and its dark color, it makes the truck appear lower!

Old 06-07-2005, 09:44 PM
Blue Blooded
Senior User
Originally Posted by Toreador
Seems to be the consensus. No vent visors for me. Guess my theory is not correct. I do intend to do as you say (and have already done some of that). The goal is to make this as comfortable and quiet a ride I can possibly get. Thanks all.
I haven't noticed any additional wind noise. My belief is that the noise is from the mirrors. If you change your mind and decide to get a pair, do yourself a favor and get the inchannel type. I put my stick on type where they belong, in the garbage! I now have Weathertech's and have no problems. As for windnoise, all vehicles have it to some degree. My father-in-law has a $80,000 Lexus which is very unimpressive with windnoise.I would buy them for looks and so you can open windows in the rain.

Old 06-07-2005, 10:11 PM
Toreador
Elder User
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded
I haven't noticed any additional wind noise. My belief is that the noise is from the mirrors. If you change your mind and decide to get a pair, do yourself a favor and get the inchannel type. I put my stick on type where they belong, in the garbage! I now have Weathertech's and have no problems. As for windnoise, all vehicles have it to some degree. My father-in-law has a $80,000 Lexus which is very unimpressive with windnoise.I would buy them for looks and so you can open windows in the rain.
Vent visors are low on my priority list. The only reason I was considering them was the possibility of reducing wind noise. I'm doing an experiment with my truck for a total soundproofing. Since they don't reduce wind noise and may cause it under some circumstances I may not end up getting them. I've added a Magnaflow muffler and an intake tube which has slightly increased cabin noise (only at startup and "punching it"). So I have some work to do to get it as quiet as possible. Right now I'm deciding between a tuner chip or a Powerdyne supercharger. Tuner I can get for $300, Powerdyne for $2,300. Right now I'm leaning towards Tuner and bigger rear gears. Thanks for all the info.

Old 06-08-2005, 08:08 PM
Blue Blooded
Senior User
Tuner works well. I have X cal. Dosen't make it "fast" ( these trucks are heavy) but is noticalbly "peppier" Also, throttle lag is GONE! I found it worth it just for that as apparantly the dealer couldn't get rid of the lag. I would recommend the X cal.