1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

56 Gas filler

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 06:16 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
56 Gas filler

Ever since I had my truck the gas spout on the cab really bugs me. Not the location, but how far it sticks out from rubber bushing. I've tried shorting the neck and that doesn't help. I was wondering if anyone had a solution to getting the neck up tight onto the bushing, or better yet flush up to the cab.

Old 06-05-2005, 08:27 AM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ed -

I have the same problem with the filler. Like you, I thought that just inserting it further into the neck would do it. I'll be interested what solutions others might offer.

I did see a very cool solution on an old guys 56 at a PU Limited meeting. He had a filler door over it in the stock location. There was a lot of shape to the door and it looked to be grafted from something else. Didn't get a source for it from him. Maybe Ed Oe (edsf100) can ferret that out for us.

Old 06-05-2005, 10:46 AM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Randy, I know what your talking about. I've seen several people going to the junk yard and cutting out gas filler necks with the trap doors attached. The only problem is to install something like that you have cut metal, weld and repaint the who cab. Since my truck is painted, I need to look for other options. I was thinking about checking with a muffler shop, maybe they could fabricate a new pipe and weld the gas cap portion on it? I'm going to check into it further. I'm surprised there isn't any aftermarket kits available to do that? We might be onto something big here? LOL.

Old 06-05-2005, 10:47 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts
The street rod suppliers have flip fuel door weld in panels in several shapes with both flat and curves. I am planning on using an aluminum fill plate with screw cap as used on the deck of boats, but mine is in a flat surface in the side of my panel truck and like the idea of just a hint of billet on the outside with my resto rod theme.

Old 06-05-2005, 11:06 AM
imlowr2
Postmaster
The problem with the 56 is it has difficult angles from both the cab and to the gas tank. It's even more difficult to get a flip door mounted because of the limited room and angles involved. Even the original filler tube has angles bent into it. Most of the trucks I've noticed, the filler tube doesn't fit right or even look right. Why they put the filler where they did on the 56 is beyond me. The 53's have more space to work with.