1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Its those conti tires again

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 01:44 PM
SAYERS
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Annie: before you go back to the dealer you might run the search engine on ford trucks and copy all of the feedback on these conti tires, that is want I did and gave it to the general manager at the dealer where I bought my truck, just an Idea ! That way you can have a little ammo.

Old 06-06-2005, 04:08 PM
motors
Freshman User
Does anyone know what tire options are available for the 18" Lariat wheels (8" wide). I would hesitate to go smaller but a size or so larger as long as they fit those wheels. Mudders would be a little extreme but I would like to get something more agressive than these Continentals....

Old 06-06-2005, 08:03 PM
Photogman
Senior User
I've got the Conti's too, but go out and sit down on the pavement and read the whole tire carefully. Mine said load rated E, but they are only 6 ply tires....it says right on the tire.

LT275/70RX18E BSW ALL TERRAIN

Old 06-06-2005, 08:50 PM
BareBones
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Ditto on that. My Conti's also indicate load range E, 6 plies: 2 nylon + 2 steel + 2 polyester. Truck was assembled at the end of March '05.

Old 06-06-2005, 11:23 PM
annieacres
New User
Is this load E and the plys wrong> What load and number in the plies should I be looking for and have on my King Ranch? I have been to the conti website and cannot get anything from it. It seems my contitrac tire is not mentions any where in it. Annie

Old 06-07-2005, 08:05 AM
Jawbreaker
Junior User
Don't get confused....the load rating does NOT mean the number of plys in any tire. The load number is the strength of the tire under wt. The ply number is the construction of the tire. A tire may meet a Load E with fewer or more plys depending on the company.

Old 06-07-2005, 10:15 AM
annieacres
New User
I have it now. I talked w/Continental today and my tires are not AT. What tires that are quiet doesn't fling rocks up and can withstand road and some gravel will I want and Ford will agree to put on. My fingers are crossed. I pull a two horse loaded sometimes over 5 miles of gravel. I live in Northern CA and have big hills. Annie

Old 06-07-2005, 10:49 AM
Jawbreaker
Junior User
Your best bet right now would be the Good Year Wrangler LT 275/65 18" AT/S. Little bit smaller, but the only real choice that a dealer would go for. It changes you speedo reading 3 mph less. Remember you need to change the spare also if they do something for you. As you know, I have the Wranglers and have been pleased so far. Some tire guru will tell you they wear quicker, but nothing is perfect in this world. Good Luck. You can check the tire specs and see a pic on the internet like tire rack .com etc

Old 06-09-2005, 09:01 PM
TrekChick
Senior User
I unloaded my Conti's on some poor unsuspecting fool for $400. I took them off with only about 250-miles on them to sell them, and put the $$$ towards some BFG mudders 35x12.50x18. I'm happy now!!!!!
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...oid=72908&.jpg

~~~~~TrekChick

Old 06-09-2005, 09:59 PM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm, nice pic. Oh yeah, nice truck too

I, too, have the POS Continental tires. Got on the throttle in the rain yesterday and the tires spun all the way to 60MPH before I let off. Yee ha. I wish BFG would come out with some AT K/Os in 275/75R18 load range E.

Old 06-09-2005, 10:58 PM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
TreKCkick

Ok well good looking every thing! I like photos of a great truck, cute driver, hauling two gorgeous dogs! And I admit to trying to blow up the photo just to see what the shirt had printed on it.

Load ratings and side wall ratings: Load range "E" can be very deceptive these days. Few tires are really 10 or 8 or 6 ply any more and the load rating can be as broad as 2900 to 3860lbs and be called "E"

The Conties are rated at 3640lbs single and I think 3440 dual.

There are NO load "E" in 18" that will haul max vehicle axle weight except the Contis and fit the 8" wide rims.

TrakChick would be pushing it with the BFG if she hooked up a fairly heavy 5th wheel. The 35x12.50x18 if I remember correctly, require a 9 to 10 inch rim width and their max load is at 65 or 75psi for 2900lbs> But as long as the two dogs are the primary load, those tires look and handle very good!

Annie your complaint is exactly what mine is, the damned Conties really are terrible on gravel roads.

I seriously doubt you will get Ford to get you new set of five but try anyway...if you don't ask the answer is always no! All I could get was my $250 back because I need the max tow/haul of my F-350 and any other Ford tire was going to lower the capacity of the rear axle by over 480lbs

Last edited by Fredvon4; 06-09-2005 at 11:00 PM.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:24 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jock
That's one more reason why I ordered an XLT with 17" wheels. the BFG so called "all terrain" are no hell but a lot more aggressive than the Contis. I can't believe they get away with putting an M&S designation on what is no more than an all-season tire.
M&S indicates Mud and Snow. Conti's are rated Mud and Snow as they would fit that category. I believe that ALL highway tires are rated Mud and Snow these days.
Now AT indicates All Terrain. Contitracs are NOT All Terrain (as Ford has sold them as). And yes, I can't believe they did that either.

Old 06-09-2005, 11:37 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think Trekchic has the right idea. BFG, in my opinion, are the best all 'round AT for the buck out there. I hope they don't waste any time producing LR E tires. My "Conticrap" Tires are beginning to fade and I'll need to replace soon. I'd hate to replace with more of the same.

Old 06-09-2005, 11:43 PM
TrekChick
Senior User
Originally Posted by Fredvon4

TrekChick would be pushing it with the BFG if she hooked up a fairly heavy 5th wheel. The 35x12.50x18 if I remember correctly, require a 9 to 10 inch rim width and their max load is at 65 or 75psi for 2900lbs> But as long as the two dogs are the primary load, those tires look and handle very good!
We haul a 31-ft weekend warrior that's ~9000-lb with all the 'fluids' full, but with the 3 axles the weight distribution is really good. The F350 has the heavy-duty suspension package, so we don't even need to run air bags with this rig. (Did have to use them on the previous '01 F-250 in the pic.) Both these trucks haul this trailer with no wobble or wag.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...oid=69280&.jpg

~~~~~TrekChick

P.S. The shirt says "Poison Spider Bycycles - Moab, Utah"

Old 09-07-2005, 08:45 AM
douthit
4wd Low
Talking to my Ford GM today.

Originally Posted by Jawbreaker
As of last month, the only tire out there in a 275 70 18" rated E......you guessed it boys and girls Conti A/T TR ...so FMC got a great deal to outfit the O5's with that tire. You can go smaller or go bigger, but the tire on your truck is the only show in town for right now!!!!!
I am going to talk to my ford dealer today about my Conti tires, (among other things). You say that I can go bigger or smaller. What is the bigger size? I hear the 2006's have 20" wheels. I wonder if my dealer would put 20 and whatever tires they offer. I'm thinking that I will accept a refund of $615.00 (option price) and wear these tires out then look at whatever is available at that time. Problem is if Ford only used 18"s one year then what are the prospects of anybody building a tire to fit such a small client base?

I need to update my information.

Quick Reply: Its those conti tires again