Notices

Dash Kits...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 11:13 PM
Mr. Man
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Dash Kits...

I'm not into the dash kits available now, like the ones that stick on, and don't cover EVERYTHING, and they cost like $160. Soooo, I have no idea if this would be a good idea or not. I've been looking in a few mgazines(the ideas you find in mags ) and it seems a lot of fellas out there have specific parts on their dashes powercoated, or painted with a good automotive paint. Would it end up costing a lot of money to have the center dash part painted? I would think it wouldn't cost too much at all, maybe $50 for that one piece, which is good IMO, it would look great and would make the whole thing one color, not like the stick-on counterparts. But here is the biggest question, how would the paint hold up? I know that when it comes to painting, preparation is where experience comes in, not the acutual painting process, thing a can of that paint that makes paint stick better would do the trick? Think it would look like crap if I took a crack at it? I was thinking of buying some auto-paint from autozone and trying it myself. I would do it right now if I knew it wasn't going to screw up my dash, if I could find a center dash on Ebay I would buy it and then paint it instead, having the one I have now for backup. Oh one more thing, thing a metallic blue or metallic red would look good, or silver? my interior is a dark charcoal color... Sorry for the long post, thanks for any help.

Old 07-31-2005, 08:28 PM
AUoffroad
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a buddy that painted the interior of his Tacoma with spray paint made for plastics. He sanded all the parts and painted them, let them dry, and took his time reinstalling all the parts. A week later some parts were scratched. After about a month it looked horrible. He had to keep repainting it every few months to keep it presentable.(show truck) I would have it professionally done. It might be kinda expensive, but better than having to redo it every couple of months.