1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

how to check compression

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2000, 02:59 PM
nissanjon
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to check compression

i've been reading posts of people checking their cylinder compression, and giving the PSI ratings for each cylinder.

my truck has a 302, and i was wondering how i can check the compression myself? what kinds of procedures are involved? is there a kit i can buy? or is this something a mechanic has to do? also, for a 302, what should the compression be in each cylinder? thanks, nissanjon

Old 01-21-2000, 03:45 PM
cbremer
Senior User
how to check compression

I dont know what the specific pressure should be for the 302, but to test pressure, you need a compression testing gauge (duh) It looks kinda like a tire pressure gauge with a 8-10" hose attached to it, and (usually) a brass threaded end with two size threads (one for each size of plug opening). All you do is unscrew a plug, screw in the gauge and crank the engine, and the gauge will retain the highest pressure achieved. There is a release button to reset the gauge. I think summit racing has a gauge like this for about 20-25$

Hope this helps...
Chuck

Old 01-21-2000, 04:56 PM
nissanjon
Senior User
how to check compression

thanks chuck. exactly what to you mean by "crank the engine". you you mean crank it manually somehow, or just turn the key and fire it up?

also, anyone else know the proper cylinder compression for an 1987 302?

thanks guys

Old 01-21-2000, 05:08 PM
cbremer
Senior User
how to check compression

>thanks chuck. exactly what to you
>mean by "crank the engine".
>you you mean crank it manually
>somehow, or just turn the key
>and fire it up?

just turn the key for a few seconds, whether or not it catches... if it does, it'll run horribly, of course. Then turn it off after maybe 2-3 seconds. You have to do this to each cylinder, which can be TONS of fun! Might as well change the plugs if you haven't for a while

Chuck

Old 01-21-2000, 05:26 PM
nissanjon
Senior User
how to check compression

thanks guys. maybe i'll pick up a compression tester and do it this weekend if i get a chance.

anyone else out there know the proper cylinder compression for a 302? i have the haynes manual, would it be in there? if so, i can just look it up.....

Old 01-21-2000, 05:37 PM
82F100SWB
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
how to check compression

In order to do a correct compression test, the engine must be brought up to O/T, then all the plugs pulled, and the throttle wide open. I read this in Popular Mechanics a few years back, and forget the reasoning, but thats what it says to do.
Evan MacDonald

Old 01-21-2000, 05:50 PM
nissanjon
Senior User
how to check compression

thanks for the info

when you say "throttle wide open", how is that accomplished? is that simply a matter of holding down the gas pedal?

Old 01-21-2000, 05:54 PM
PAUL_2
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
how to check compression

Nissanjon,
Evan was right ..First thing to do to prevent the engine from starting is pull the coil wire off and make sure its touching some metal otherwise you ll have sparks flying all over the place . Removing all the plugs lets the engine spin freely . The wide open throttle lets the maximum amount of air in the cylinders . Finally , record all the numbers you get and I belive the rule isnt so much the the highest pressure , but that all the cylinders are within 20% of each other . If the engine is healthy , you should see 100 to 150 psi per cylinder . I may be a little off with the numbers , going from memory here . Also let the engine make 3 or 4 revolution per cylinder , and you crank the engine with the key . Good luck .
Paul

Old 01-21-2000, 09:54 PM
jojo
New User
how to check compression