1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

'83 charging problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2000, 12:23 PM
tmcalavy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'83 charging problem

Old 01-21-2000, 05:48 PM
jojo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'83 charging problem

I got this '83-[300]f150 4x4 not running. I put new motor in and just got inspected.Driven only to gas station. I just realized it's not charging. Changed alt and reg-still no more than battery voltage. Anyone have a wiring diagram? I have a chiltons but it's not accurate. A couple wires have been cut/spliced but seem ok. I think a fusible link was also removed. I assume it worked for the previous owner. All I can think of is something in the wiring.

Old 01-21-2000, 07:37 PM
82F100SWB
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'83 charging problem

Where is this reading coming from? If it is from the dash guage, it might be that the guage is dead, the simplest way to find out is to take the battery cable off when the truck is running(don't have the lights on though) and if it dies, you have charging troubles, if not, it's your guage, my 82 has an amp guage which wasn't working, I pulled the dash to clean it up, and while I had it out, I had the cluster apart, including taking the guages out, when I put it back together and hooked it back up, it worked, I'm not sure what I did, but it may have been corrosion on the connector.

Old 01-21-2000, 08:05 PM
Phillip Guidry
Posting Guru
'83 charging problem

Removing the battery cable is one way to see if the alternator is charging, it's also a good way to fry a good alternator and anything else that's electrical as well! Sure,YOU may not have suffered anything,but other people have,because of the overcharge condition that occurs when you remove the battery from the circuit! Can you say 18 volts !! There is a fuse link from the solenoid to the Alternator,battery voltage should be on both ends. Also,there is an "I" term on the regulator plug,voltage should be present with key on, if not, fix this first.
Phillip

Old 01-21-2000, 09:54 PM
jojo
New User
'83 charging problem

I have always just put a volt meter across the battery posts and expect to get /- 14 volts. In this case I got 12.43 -not running and 12.11 and dropping slowly -running. I noticed a reg terminal was rusted so I replaced reg. I just checked the reg connector and noticed the terminal in there was a little corroded. I jiggled the heck out of it while running and my meter went to /- 15 volts at battery. So it's some new terminals next. Yes my dash meter does not seem to register, There is a red wire cut and not connected to anything by the solenoid /regulator wiring. I think maybe it feeds dash guage? Thanks for input but I would still like to find a wiring diagram.