Sponsored by: DP Tuner

7.3 turbo upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 01:28 AM
sean23johnson
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
7.3 turbo upgrades?

i own a 2001 F-250 PSD with 58,000 miles on it. i have 4in exhaust,edge programer and a brand new ATS trans ($$$$$$). i love the way it tows and drives but i want more power, of corse. i cant afford a new ball bearing turbo, but i was thinking about installing a wicked wheel. my turbo has a weird wine, and i am wondering if it is going to go on me. so i would like to crack it open and make some modifications to it, but i am new to this diesel thing and i dont want to hurt the truck. i was wondering what you powerstroke experts have to say.
thanks.

Old 05-25-2005, 07:21 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Takes more fuel to make more power, not more air. The sum of the available upgrades for your turbo are the wheel, an ATS compressor housing, and a larger A/R exhaust housing.

None of those upgrades will make any more power. They will cure compressor surge (if you have it), lower EGT's, and probably make it feel a little snappier, but unless you smoke heavily to the top of the tach. they won't actually make any power.

How weird is weird? Is it a whine that's it's always made, or has it started recently?

Old 05-25-2005, 08:25 PM
lukecline
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cookie88
Takes more fuel to make more power, not more air.

What???? If that is the case then why were turbos added to diesels, maybe to add more air and increase efficency (sp?). The rest of your advice i agree with but this i do not.

luke

Old 05-25-2005, 08:48 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Originally Posted by lukecline
What???? If that is the case then why were turbos added to diesels, maybe to add more air and increase efficency (sp?). The rest of your advice i agree with but this i do not.

luke
On a gas engine you add more air and it will make more power with no fueling changes. You can lean it out and continue to make power until it melts down without ever adding a drop of fuel.

If you take a stock 17psi PSD, turn it up to 25psi the only thing you have accomplished is lower EGT's and a quicker spool up. There is no more power until you add more fuel.

Yo are exactly right, turbo's were added to stuff in more air and increase efficiency. Nothing to do with power output other than the boosted motor is capable of supporting more.

As an example: In 1994 the non turbo 7.3 was rated at 190 horsepower, and the turbocharged version 195....why only a 5 horsepower increase....no more fuel was added, only more air.

Old 05-25-2005, 08:56 PM
sean23johnson
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cookie88
Takes more fuel to make more power, not more air. The sum of the available upgrades for your turbo are the wheel, an ATS compressor housing, and a larger A/R exhaust housing.

None of those upgrades will make any more power. They will cure compressor surge (if you have it), lower EGT's, and probably make it feel a little snappier, but unless you smoke heavily to the top of the tach. they won't actually make any power.

How weird is weird? Is it a whine that's it's always made, or has it started recently?
this might be a stupid question, but what i an A/R exhaust housing and how would my truck benefit from this mod?

the noise is like a woooosh when i let off the throttle, it has done this since i bought it (32,000). also when i shut off the truck i can here the impeller clanking in the turbo housing, this is new and makes me wounder if i should put a new wheel in it.

do you know of any cheep (besides larger injectors) mods i can do to increase fuel?

thanks

Old 05-25-2005, 09:02 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
this might be a stupid question, but what i an A/R exhaust housing and how would my truck benefit from this mod?
This is the ratio in the size of the inlet versus the outlet of the exhaust housing. Your stock one is .84 a/r. The upgraded one would be a 1.0 a/r it reduces backpressure and lowers EGT's, but the cost is the turbo will spool up a litle slower.

the noise is like a woooosh when i let off the throttle, it has done this since i bought it (32,000). also when i shut off the truck i can here the impeller clanking in the turbo housing, this is new and makes me wounder if i should put a new wheel in it.
If the impeller is actually making contact with the housing it's already too late. It needs to be rebuilt ASAP.

do you know of any cheep (besides larger injectors) mods i can do to increase fuel
Yes I do. Do a search for "clamp mod" or "10K mod"

Old 05-25-2005, 10:13 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
The two mods mentioned above will cost about $50 and produce a noticable buy mild increase in power. The next step would be a chip or programmer at about $300 but you really should do exhaust mods before either of them and the cost of that will run $400 to $900 depending on what you do. You should also add at least an EGT gauge if your gonna chip.

As you can see it can get pricey quickly just ask anybody here with a bunch of extra goodies hanging on their PSD you can tell them by the goofy grin on their face.

Old 05-26-2005, 01:01 AM
Biwanylo
Senior User
Phydeaux88, From a right profile I think my goofy grin look good on me. Hay by the way how do you like that powershot 2000. I have a 97 4x4

Old 05-26-2005, 08:00 AM
mech2161
Posting Guru
Cookie
I agree on the fuel to make more power. When you get to a certain point you have to have more air, or yes, it will melt. A Turbo will make more power, with added fuel.

Old 05-26-2005, 09:12 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Originally Posted by mech2161
Cookie
I agree on the fuel to make more power. When you get to a certain point you have to have more air, or yes, it will melt. A Turbo will make more power, with added fuel.
Right. That was my point exactly.

The turbo will only make more power with added fuel. If Sean23johnson were to upgrade an H2E on his stock truck, not only would he not make any more power, but his truck would get slower because it took the big huffer so long to spool.

Old 05-26-2005, 09:13 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
I love the Powershoot short of bigger injectors it is the most power producing mod I have done. It wont snap you neck at a stoplight but once you pass the boost trigger point and the turbo starts to spool rapidly hang on. There is a definite difference in the rate of boost increase with propane on and with it off.
I likes it on

Old 05-26-2005, 10:18 PM
Biwanylo
Senior User
Cool I don't want to break my neck again that was no fun put i did come by the way of my ford psd as a result. I think i need to intercool it egt hit 1250 pre turbo when pullen my toy box and it's only geting hoter in So. Nevada

Old 05-26-2005, 10:40 PM
arninetyes
Posting Guru
Requiring more fuel to make more power is true of gassers, too.

If you add a turbo to a gasser without making sure to increase the fuel to maintain the proper gasser fuel:air ratio, detonation will destroy your motor quick. So, to make more power with the gasser, you boost intake pressure with a turbo AND add more fuel to maintain the proper fuel:air ratio.

Gasser - fuel=power, too little air=won't run, too much air=melted engine from detonation.
Diesel - fuel=power, too little air=melted engine, too much air, just add more fuel for more power!!!

Old 05-27-2005, 07:20 AM
mech2161
Posting Guru
As for your quote- If he has a good chip a turbo upgrade will help. Look at my sig. I don't have aftermarket injectors.

Old 05-27-2005, 10:32 PM
mainecorrado
Junior User
a friend did injectors, tuner, exhaust, and intake and it was scary. pulling a skid steer and big trailer was downright funny. would rip on the highway and around town was awesome!

Last edited by mainecorrado; 05-27-2005 at 10:36 PM.

Quick Reply: 7.3 turbo upgrades?