1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slip joint

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 09:15 AM
MILL
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slip joint

How do you remove the axle to lube the slip joint? I see the the 8mm bolts at the rear diff and in front of the slip joint, with these removed how does the axle come off?

Old 05-23-2005, 02:51 PM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you mean driveline (driveshaft) instead of axle?

Let us know.

Old 05-23-2005, 03:05 PM
MILL
New User
Oops, I mean driveshaft

Old 05-23-2005, 04:42 PM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
There are 2 ways to remove the driveline at the yoke. After removing the rubber boot:
(1) Remove the bolts at the rear diff and pull out the shaft
or
(2) at the carrier beaing and just move it laterally until it separates.

Grease the slip yoke, bolt it back up, and re-install the boot with a stay-tie or similar clamp and you're good to go.

Old 05-23-2005, 10:57 PM
etcetera
Senior User
Get teflon grease. GM dealers sell a special grease to cure this problem on Chebbies. Not sure if Ford has a similar product.

Old 05-24-2005, 07:35 AM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ford has a special grease also! One word of caution,make sure you put the e-brake on!
we had someone do this awhile ago and the truck almost ran him over after pulling the drive shaft!
Rich

Old 05-24-2005, 08:23 AM
MILL
New User
When you say bolts at the rear diff are you refering to the 8mm bolts or the bolts that look like ten point or something. If the ten point(if thats what their called) where do you get a tool to fit them?

Old 05-24-2005, 09:07 AM
bddo
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FortyFords
Ford has a special grease also! One word of caution,make sure you put the e-brake on!
we had someone do this awhile ago and the truck almost ran him over after pulling the drive shaft!
Rich
Hey Rich,

I'm suprised anyone remembers that!!! I still get cold feet when it comes to getting under the truck after that incident.. My 5 year old daughter still comes up to me sometimes and says "Daddy, remember when I was outside playing, and your truck ran over you?!!!"

Still sends shivers down my spine...

Bryan

Old 05-24-2005, 09:26 AM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi Bryan, we have all made some _______ mistakes! I'm included in them too!!!!!!!!
Like droping a screw down the intake of a 460 while running. or starting the truck with the timing light cord in the way of the fan blades! ouch!
So safety has been one of my pet pieve's as we try to help each other around the country.
Good to hear from you !

Rich

Old 05-24-2005, 01:56 PM
MARZ06
Senior User
Mill..remove the 4 8mm bolts the secure the drive shaft to the u joint at the carrier. I used jack stands to secure the drive shaft becuase once you swing it away at the carrier you'll need something to support it.

Old 05-25-2005, 08:13 AM
MILL
New User
Thanks for the help. The "clunk" is gone - wow is that better!!!

Old 05-25-2005, 04:39 PM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by MILL
Thanks for the help. The "clunk" is gone - wow is that better!!!
Good news. Thanks for the feedback.

Did you install the grease fittings?

Old 05-25-2005, 04:54 PM
Finally
Senior User
Kinda interesting that I came here to ask about how to find where the "slop" is in a driveline, and this thread was on top. I read about the clunk and was wondering if I have the same prob. I can feel the slop when I stop and go. My first thought is the rear differential gear wear. Is there a way to narrow it down to where it is at?

If I jack up the rear end, put it in drive, and try to move the driveshaft or wheels, will that tell me anything? Thanks.

Old 05-25-2005, 05:01 PM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Finally
Kinda interesting that I came here to ask about how to find where the "slop" is in a driveline, and this thread was on top. I read about the clunk and was wondering if I have the same prob. I can feel the slop when I stop and go. My first thought is the rear differential gear wear. Is there a way to narrow it down to where it is at?

If I jack up the rear end, put it in drive, and try to move the driveshaft or wheels, will that tell me anything? Thanks.
One good way to check is to chock all the wheels, put the tranny in neutral and see how much backlash you have on the pinion and ring gear in the diff. You should have some, but not much. If you can't actually feel the "slop", then more than likely it's your slip joint.

What year model and how many miles?

ON EDIT: Your sig says '99 model - it needs the slip joint grease I would think.

Old 05-25-2005, 07:21 PM
Finally
Senior User
Well, in neutral, I can get quite a bit of movement. I would guess a half inch of rotation in the drive shaft. Is that excessive? As far as the slip joint goes are you talking right behind the carrier bearing? Between the two shafts is a pretty tight fit, not much slop at all.

Quick Reply: slip joint