1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

valve cover gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2000, 07:12 PM
cbremer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
valve cover gaskets

this weekend's project is replacing the valve cover gaskets on my 90 F150 351W with FI. any words of wisdom/advice? i know the driver's side is pretty easy once i move all the hoses, and the passenger's side necessatates (sp?) removal of the upper intake manifold, which is no problem. just wanted to know any of any possible unpleasant surprises that may be waiting for me.

thanks, everyone
chuck

Old 04-07-2000, 12:00 AM
PAUL_2
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
valve cover gaskets

Chuck ,
To make sure you dont have to mess with it anytime soon , make sure you use rubber gaskets Vs the cork variety . I know Ford still offers the cork ones for some applications ...and as always with any valve cover gaskets , make sure the valve cover bolts are torqued properly .
Paul

Old 04-07-2000, 01:07 AM
cbremer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
valve cover gaskets

Paul,
thanks for the tip. i had forgotten to mention in my original post that i did get the rubber gaskets instead of cork. i just figured they'd last longer, and besides, they're cheaper! should i still use some gasket sealer on them, or do they seal themselves? i got a rubber oil pan gasket a few months ago that said it did not require any, and it still has not leaked, so i'd assume the valve cover gaskets from the same manufacturer (Fel-Pro) would behave the same.

Thanks again,
chuck

Old 04-07-2000, 08:58 PM
PAUL_2
Postmaster
valve cover gaskets

What I always do when replacing gaskets is use some sort of adhesive to hold the gasket in place . Some gaskets that get mounted vertically often need some means to hold them in place until you can attach the part and bolt it up . Fel Pro makes quality stuff , Ive never had any trouble from their products .
Paul

Old 04-07-2000, 09:03 PM
PAUL_2
Postmaster
valve cover gaskets