Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

chevy are not that bad after all??

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 07:51 AM
ford_nut
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chevy are not that bad after all??

Guys
I know that this post may make some here 'hate' me, but I just wanted to share an experience. My girlfriend just gave me her 95 chevy tahoe LT 2WD because she bought a ford explorer. Well, I was all excite about the ford (as usual) but let me tell you, after running both cars for a while and servicing both, I hate to say this, but the build quality of the chebby is outstanding. To this day, I still feel that the early 80 and up fords are not made as well as the older stuff. I have been losing faith in ford esp when my sisters mustang GT has mazda front brakes. In short, My first love will always be a ford (the early 59-76 trucks) but I'm starting to lean in favor of a ...dare I say it.....a CHEBBY....for newer build quality and comfort. Again, I hope I didn't offend anyone with this post
Regards
Ben

Old 05-13-2005, 09:55 AM
i1dery
Posting Guru
Well thats because chevy's are built like caddy's, you would'nt
take a caddy 4 wheelin would ya? So i say this, if you want to
look good buy a chevy if you want tough buy a ford and or a dodge of course thats if ford didnt exist.FORD first on race day.

Old 05-13-2005, 10:24 AM
Frost13
Posting Guru
not really. i like fords and chevys. it's dodges i don't like. but even so, i would pick a ford over a chevy in most cases.

Old 05-13-2005, 10:38 AM
ford_nut
Senior User
I most certainly agree. I wouldn't dare to wheel a chevy (although the old C-20's? look cool). Heck, all my 4x4's are pre-77 highboy F250's! I wouldn't have it any other way. I hear all the time how folks put down chebbys and I think that before judgement is actually passed, one has to have first-hand experience. I never thought that I would speak these words but I must admit, I am continually impressed by that thing. Something has to be said for the mileage: 180,000 and doesnt burn a drop of oil and the original tranny(never rebuilt). Maybe the engine longevity is testament from running Mobil 1 exclusively??....who knows. The bottom line: I will always bleed blue...
~~nut~~

Old 05-13-2005, 10:54 AM
i1dery
Posting Guru
Tell ya what really as long as you keep up with regular preventitive maintenance you should get lotsa mileage from
your vehicles no matter what it is. And my commuter car 89'
probe had roughly 250,000 miles on it before selling it to my
freinds daughter, and it was all original factory equipment except
the power steering assist pump crapped at 175000mi. This is
preventitive maintenance. And still today that car has over 300000mi finally had a clutch put into it.

Old 05-13-2005, 11:06 AM
73Fastbackv10
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
95 Tahoe? Sell it while it still works. My cousin has one of those heaps that I'll selling for her. The wiring is a mess on it, the power mirrors don't work half the time even though the mirrors and motors are new, the blinkers flash like flashers, the flashers cause the gear shift indicator to blink with them, the power windows move extremely slow, the wheel bearings broke, the control arm bushing were erroded, the sway bar bushings were meat, the windshield washer motor gets no power to it, and it's rated at 12 city/15 highway mpgs.

Old 05-13-2005, 11:37 AM
AG4.0
Posting Guru
I was talking with a friend last night that's close to finishing his masters in Mech. Engineering. During his time in college, he was part of the Ethanol Vehicle Challange where GM donated several schools each a 99 Silverado to convert to E85 and compete in competition from mileage to emisions to drivability, and other categories. Apart from the engine and fuel system that were heavily modified to tolerate Ethanol, this truck has him convinced to never buy a chevy. I know it's only one truck, but tons of things including the rear axle, cheap interior parts and bad welds inside the drivers door had him turned off from GM. They also had a project Malibu before the Silverado that was even worse. I know they aren't all bad or Chevy wouldn't stay in business, but every GM product I or someone in my family has owned, built within the last 15 years has been junk, with the exception of a Dad's company Impala that he didn't have long enough to show problems.

Old 05-14-2005, 08:01 PM
MofW
Mountain Pass
You are correct in saying "it's only one truck". If I went by what people have told me about their experience with Fords, GMs, Dodges, Toyotas, BMWs,..........the only thing left to drive would be a horse.

Old 05-14-2005, 08:15 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
And even they get sick...

Old 05-14-2005, 10:57 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ford_nut
Guys
To this day, I still feel that the early 80 and up fords are not made as well as the older stuff. I have been losing faith in ford esp when my sisters mustang GT has mazda front brakes.
Regards
Ben

Please, pray tell, what year GT has Mazda brakes..........and what Mazda are they from?

Old 05-14-2005, 11:13 PM
borderman
Senior User
Well in my family we've owned Ford, GM, Toyota, and Nissan products, all have been good and bad. My dad's first and second trucks were Chevies and he loved them, his third was a Ford pickup, his fourth was a Chevy Suburban, his fifth was Chevy S10 Blazer, and now he is back to Ford, a 91 Ford Ranger Supercab V6 Auto, wrecked twice, fixed and still running with over 200k on the odo.

Old 05-15-2005, 10:02 AM
osbornk
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ford_nut
Guys
I know that this post may make some here 'hate' me, but I just wanted to share an experience. My girlfriend just gave me her 95 chevy tahoe LT 2WD because she bought a ford explorer. Well, I was all excite about the ford (as usual) but let me tell you, after running both cars for a while and servicing both, I hate to say this, but the build quality of the chebby is outstanding. To this day, I still feel that the early 80 and up fords are not made as well as the older stuff. In short, My first love will always be a ford (the early 59-76 trucks) but I'm starting to lean in favor of a ...dare I say it.....a CHEBBY....for newer build quality and comfort. Again, I hope I didn't offend anyone with this post
Regards
Ben
Maybe your thoughts about the Chevy are skewed because you paid what it was worth. I had several of the older Fords and I agree that the newer Chevys have a higher build quality and comfort than they did. I was fine with that until I drove the new F150. Then, somehow, the Chevy didn't stack up nearly as well.

Old 05-15-2005, 01:58 PM
Brad4321
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My dad used to buy ford trucks, but now he gets GMC trucks (thanks to a big discount). This forum as a whole is obviously bias for obvious reasons, you can't deny that, but I don't have any major complaints with the gmc. It pulls well, looks pretty good, and is fairly comfortable. The only compaint I have is the back seat. All the back seats on these trucks suck except for the new dodges, so I have heard. I don't tend to sit in the back seat of anything .

I see no reason why you not wheel in a chevy. If you build anything right, it will do just as good as anything else, although some may take more upgrading than others to reach the same level. I tend to go toward the ford trucks for mudding as there seems to be more options available for them, and that is all I have ever owned myself. When I ever get my bogger finished, I won't be blind enough to scoff and a blown 454 stroker chevy on 44 boggers no more than he would scoff and my turboed 460 stroker on 44 boggers.

My car is a chevy, and I won't mind trading that in though. Anyone want to trade a cavalier for a mustang?

Old 06-09-2005, 07:51 AM
Pkupman82
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Frost13
not really. i like fords and chevys. it's dodges i don't like. but even so, i would pick a ford over a chevy in most cases.
You know I have to agree I would NOT own a Chrysler product ( maybe a Jeep) if someone payed me to! The older GM trucks (87 and older) I think were the best trucks ever made...67-72 body style is my personal favorite. I think the new "trucks" are a joke...car front suspension, CV axle shafts, push button 4wd?!!! They ride and feel like cars inside and out, ground clearance what's that? The frames on these new trucks hang down soo low you can't put a body lift on em anymore, because you will be able to see a huge gap under almost the entire body...yuck! On a more positive note, motor technology has improved by leaps and bounds. GMs Vortec series engines are absolutely outstanding, as are the Triton engines from Ford. They go longer between tune ups, they run smoother and quieter, and make more power...and still get decent fuel mileage! Alright guys have to bicker one last time, so bear with me. How do I compare my 84 Ford pickup to my 95 GMC Jimmy? Aggghhh! That damn GMC has given me soo many fricken problems, and I have owned it for just over 1 year! Every time I have taken it out of town on a trip somewhere something always breaks. Here is what has happened so far: ate up 2 trannies (4L60 E), 1 rear end, 2 sets of fuel injectors, 1 alternator, 1 power window motor, 1 EGR valve, 1 fuel pump, 1 exhaust system, 2 oxygen sensors, 1 set of tires, shocks, I think thats it. Now I realize that some of these parts wear out and have to be replaced, and this vehicle does have a lot of miles on it (178k). It runs excellent and drives very nicely, it's a great winter vehicle. The main thing that just gripes my a$$ is it has gone through 2 sets of injectors and 2 trannies! Yeah I have had my share of problems with my Ford, but at least I can take it out of town and not have to worry about it breaking down. It has been a much more reliable truck than my GMC. I don't know how everyone else has such good luck with their Chevy Blazers and GMC Jimmys, and mine is just a money pit from hell! I am thinking about trading the Jimmy in for a 95-96 Ford Bronco...at least if it continues to give me persistant problems. I don't mind GM trucks but I like Ford better.

Old 06-09-2005, 04:30 PM
MofW
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Pkupman82
I think the new "trucks" are a joke...car front suspension, CV axle shafts, push button 4wd?!!! They ride and feel like cars inside and out, .
If you can show me a car with it's stock front suspension with an 800lbs snow plow on it, I'll agree with you. The GM trucks I've been in don't ride near as good as my wife's car. They don't stop or take corners like a car either. I'm not tring to be a jerk, but I just don't see how you can compare a truck to a car.

Quick Reply: chevy are not that bad after all??