D.I.S. 8 plug head

Old 05-12-2005, 09:09 PM
88treadbrite_150_4spd
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
D.I.S. 8 plug head

i have a 92 ranger and i am starting to swap in a turbo 2.3 out of a 86 TURBO COUPE. i would like to know if i can use the head off my 92 on it so it will have the distributerless 8 plug ingition system. i thought i read some where that i can do this. now i can't find where i read it. so any help would be great. could any one who has expirience on this swap please give me any tips on problems that were encoutered that i should watch out for. i hope to up and running in a couple weeks. thanks

Old 06-02-2005, 01:59 AM
Samsonitesamsonite
Elder User
t could work with some fabbing, you will have to splice the plug wires together, then run them to the dist. removes the coil packs and everything

Old 07-12-2005, 12:58 PM
F-Liner
Senior User
Ok, my experience with the 2.3 is limited to a 78 Pinto and a 79 Mustang. And, other than knowing the 8 plug head was available for a short time, I'm not completely up to speed there either, but (now for my question), is there any reason why treadbrite wouldn't be able to keep his DIS system? I'm really not seeing why the DIS would have to go away to use the turbo block? Can the dist not be run empty to provide the oil pump drive?

Old 07-13-2005, 10:51 AM
88treadbrite_150_4spd
Junior User
Originally Posted by Samsonitesamsonite
t could work with some fabbing, you will have to splice the plug wires together, then run them to the dist. removes the coil packs and everything
not the best idea to splice the plug wires.

here is what i did
i started with an 86 2.3t and ripped it apart then i took the 92 2.3 D.I.S. motor and ripped that apart then i took the rods, pistons, and oil pump out of the 86 and put them in the 92 block then i used the 92 D.I.S. head, intake, and throttle body. i put the E6 and turbo from the 86 on and stuffed it in the ranger. as for the D.I.S. i am running it with the ranger EEC wth low boost but i plan to get a turbo EEC an LA3 i hope but any of the turbo EEC's will run the D.I.S. the only problem is the crank trigger the turbo block has to be drilled and tapped for it. then there is the problem with N.A. brlocks not having the drain for the turbo so that has to be drilled and tapped also. so there you have it it can be done with a little time and some cash.
AL

Search this Thread