Sponsored by:

Need Parts? Part 2 Boneyard hunt

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 06:26 AM
JBronco
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Need Parts? Part 2 Boneyard hunt

ATTENTION - PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND PUBLICLY TO THIS THREAD!

Hey all, a while back I had posted about some boneyards that I saw Broncos in and said that I would be going back, and some of you asked me to look for certain items. I must apologize - I got a new job doing 12 hour graveyard shifts, 6pm to 6am, and I got it right after I had posted that. And I have not been to a boneyard since then, mostly because I have been sleeping by day, but also because my Bronco literally needs nothing! I should be happy about that, no should though, I AM happy about that! However, I am getting used to the hours now and I don't have to sleep all day, every day. And I also bought an old car to restore and have all sorts of stuff to look for now. I had mentioned how I have seen Broncos in the yards around here, and I have also seen some of the parts that people asked about, so I know that I can help some of you. In order to be fair to everyone, and the admins here, and myself - I am putting a few guidelines here so this can work smoothly for everyone involved, ok? I don't want to seem beaurocratic here, but I've seen this type of thing get way out of hand. So please respect your fellow Bronco drivers who might also need parts, and respect this board.

1 - This is not for profit by me. It is strictly to help fellow Bronco owners.

2 - I will try to buy your parts and then you can reimburse me for them and send payment for shipping. I will enclose all of the receipts with your parts. I can only do this to a point, I am not rich but I will do what I can. If the part is too expensive, I will try to put down a deposit to hold it, and then go back for it when you send payment. I can probably handle about $20 total of fronting the purchase money for all people at one time, before needing payment. So figure that. If you do not mind sending payment before I go out and look, that would be the best for you. You can send what you want to spend and I will work with that. I'll try to talk them down too, if I am buying a bunch of stuff they are usually willing to give a discount, and they give me small parts for free sometimes, like *****, etc. If it's free for me, it's free for you too, except for the shipping. If I do not find your part I can either hold on to your money and keep looking, or send it back. Also, I can take reimbursement through PayPal, just remember to cover the 3% fee. I don't mind helping out, but I can't pay extra for it! But the quickest way to get parts is to send the money first, before I go looking, so there is no chance of a holdup on my end. Because it is possible for me to find your part but not be able to pay for it or even put a deposit down, and then when I go back it might be gone. It's up to you though. I have no preference.

3 - The first time somebody does not reimburse me for a fronted payment, or stalls, then it will go to a strictly "cash first" deal. So please respect me, and respect other Bronco owners. If I buy the part that you asked me to buy, I expect payment by PayPal that day, or a check or money order sent the following morning.

4 - Lets limit our requests to parts for 1978-1996 Broncos only. But if your Bronco part can be found in an F-series truck, I will look there for it too.

5 - Please only ask for only what you absolutely need and cannot get. Don't put "overhead console" or "rear cargo cover" or such items on the list because if I see them, I am getting them for myself! But the point is to just ask for the crucial stuff, and not send a whole shopping list of things that you would not mind having but don't really need.

5 - I cannot promise when I will be going to the boneyards. There is no schedule. But since I have the car to restore now, I am very anxious to go out and look. I do have some weekdays off and it will most likely be during the working week that I go.

6 - If you write me, and I acknowledge it, please do not keep writing and asking if i found your part yet. If I find it, you will know the same day.

7 - I can take pictures with my camera phone and send them to you from the yard. Likewise, I can call you from the yard if I have any questions.

8 - I am not pulling (or shipping) any large, heavy items like transmissions, transfer cases, axles, differentials, etc. And nothing that requires crawling around in the mud underneath the truck. Because I don't even do that for myself! For those things I tip the yard guy to pull them for me. But you can ask me to look for them, and if I see them I can put you in touch with the yard and you can arrange purchase and shipping.

9 - ABSOLUTELY DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS THREAD! SEND ME A PM OR E-MAIL! ANYONE WHO POSTS TO THIS THREAD WILL NOT GET PARTS. THIS IS OUT OF RESPECT FOR THIS BOARD AND ITS ADMINS. Send any relevant info, such as year, color if applicable, etc. etc. Please do not make me write back and ask for more of a description. Also, be sure to include your first name, your phone number, and your e-mail address so I can call you or send pictures if need be. ADMIN - please feel free to lock this thread, but also please give the folks who had asked me to look for parts time to see this. I will be keeping adatabase of who wants what, once people request parts.

OK got all that? I am sorry if it seems like a whole bunch of rules, I am not a beaurocratic person at all. I do not generally like ra bunch ules. Think of these more as guidlines to help us all. They are here are more for you guys than for myself. If we all go by them then this can be very easy and I can help you all out where I can. If it gets to be a burden on me I will have to stop. I once did something like this, not for auto parts, but I never laid down any guidleines and I got completely overwhelmed. Everybody got their stuff, but some had to wait months, and I totally burned out on packing stuff and going to the Post Office. So please be considerate of your fellow Bronco owners here at the forums.

Thanks!

Old 05-12-2005, 09:08 AM
JBronco
Postmaster
PS - two more things. First - if someone asks me to pick up a part, and then does not reimburse me and stops answering e-mails etc. after I purchase the part that they asked me to buy, their name WILL be given to anybody who asks me privately, and they can deal with the blame from everyone else. But we don't have any people who would do that here, right?

Second, you guys can REALLY help me out too, the car that I am restoring is a 1977 Pontiac Grand Prix. There are many things that I can use, from model years 1973-1977. So please keep your eyes open for any 1973-1977 Grand Prixs in the boneyard, or any ads for parts for sale, or even cheap, whole cars in people's yards or wherever, perhaps with bad motors etc. that I can buy for parts. Don't go out of your way or anything, but if you happen to see anything please let me know. I am not asking you to purchase anything for me, just get me in touch with the seller.

Thanks!

Old 05-13-2005, 06:11 AM
JBronco
Postmaster
One last thing - e mails and PM's both work, but try to use the e mail instead of the PM, then I can save your e mail to a special Bronco parts folder and will have all the info right there without cutting and pasting etc. But I have gotten your PMs, I just have not read them yet.

JB

Old 05-13-2005, 09:03 PM
Fishallot
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent thread. You have definately put alot of thought into this. I on the other hand went into my boneyard thread without thinking everything all the way through. I think I need to adopt most of your comments into what I'm planning to do. Thanks.

Old 05-15-2005, 08:26 AM
scurbiedog
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understand your conditions and agree to all of them ,with that being said if you could look for the cover to the window washer / overflow tank and let me know how much before you buy it that would be great. I dont have a paypal account but if you will take a check or money order and you can wait untill it clears then send it that would be fine.My Bronco is a 1982 but I dont think it should make too much of a difference. Thanks , Mark.

Old 05-15-2005, 03:22 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Guess scurbie didnt read your protocol. Please keep all conversations on the PM/email level. Thank you.