Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Need Help not sure whats wrong

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 11:55 PM
halfpint321
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help not sure whats wrong

I did a tune up on my diesel. IT was running fine I was just trying to improve my gas mileage. Therefore I changed the oil,oil filter, air filter, and the fuel filter (one that sits on top of the engine thats the water seperator). Now my truck has no power when u slam the peddle to the floor. It will barely back out of the driveway and then once it gets going it takes forever for the turbo to kick in before when i was driving down the highway i could slam the peddle down and it would go into passing gear and the nturbo right after that now it takes forever for turbo to kick in. But the major problem is that it has no power from sitting still to going at all. I know that I replaced the gaskets just like it said in the manual and on the piece of paper that came with the filter. I checked for leaks and its not leaking anywhere they only thing is that when i turn the key on like to let the glow plugs go off i hear the pump kick on but i hear a slight sound of air sound likes its leaking out but no fuel comes out. The procedure i used on the fuel filter is i removed the old one then drained the bowl it has little bit of debree in there i icleaned it out the best i could let the bowl fill back up with some diesel adn then redrained the bowl put the new filter in put the cap on and then turned the key on for 30 secs turned it back off did that again then started the truck. But still no power at all I have tried everything and like i said before my truck was running great before i did all of this i just did it as a maintenance/fuel mileage thing. So its something i did just not sure what PLEASE HELP me. My truck btw is a 2002 7.3 diesel.

Thanks for any and all help its my first diesel and my first tune up that i have done to one so i know nothing about them.

P.S. Since this has happened i removed the new filter again to make sure the seals were still in place and reinstalled it and still the same problem

Thanks

Half

Old 05-12-2005, 12:05 AM
bodabdan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you checked for fuel pressure?

Old 05-12-2005, 12:40 AM
halfpint321
New User
if u unscrew the top of the filter just a little fuel sprays everywhere and u can hear it presurize when u turn on the key so i dont think its that but not sure how else would i check? Im new to all of this so im not ruling out anything.

Old 05-12-2005, 01:24 AM
rockyrider
Senior User
Are you sure you got enough oil back in it? Should take about 14 qts. If your HPOP level is low you'll have problems, although usually it won't start if it's too low.

Sounds like you got air in fuel system. The rubber gasket on fuel bowl lid is a PIA, check to make sure it's on right.

Seach this form for air in fuel system.

Old 05-12-2005, 03:31 AM
AustinS
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What brand of fuel filter did you use? There are some problems with some of the filters out there. Here's a little info on it:

The fuel filter has a pin in the top which opens a valve inside the filter housing standpipe. Some aftermarket filters have a shorter pin than necessary which results in the valve not opening completely and this can cause lack of power concerns.

Hope you get it figured out,

Austin

Old 05-12-2005, 10:26 AM
gseeders
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fuel filter is where i would start looking, rocor, international, or motorcraft is the only filter i would trust. there all the same but different price.
gseeders

Last edited by gseeders; 05-12-2005 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:26 PM
halfpint321
New User
motorcraft is what i put in it. Still doing it i made sure i pushed the filter down in there as far as it would go to try and make sure that valve would open im lost and not sure what else to try.

Old 05-12-2005, 07:53 PM
bug juice
Junior User
try this, attach a peice of hose to the water drain hard line so you don't spray fuel on the starter, turn key on, have someone else open the water drain valve and you watch for air comming out of the filter.

Old 05-12-2005, 07:53 PM
dagren99
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Fuel Filter

Might want to take the fuel filter back out & look to see if the o-ring from the previous one is down in the bowl. Happened to me a while back, made it hard to start.

DG

Old 05-12-2005, 08:05 PM
halfpint321
New User
its not hard to start at all just has no power. ill try the hose thing.

Old 05-12-2005, 08:21 PM
scotwms
Freshman User
you know i'v had this problem before. i tried everything to correct the problem. i finally took someones advise at the station and bought a new filter. it solved the problem. might be worth looking into???

Old 05-12-2005, 09:37 PM
cangim
Postmaster
I agree with what has already been stated, pull the filter back out, make sure the old oring is not in the bowl still, also if you are not getting any power, does it smoke at all? No smoke to me would say that you are not getting fuel. I'd get another filter, see if that one can be returned as defective.