2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

eFans & UD Pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 02:33 AM
64f10
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eFans & UD Pulleys

Wow... got it done last night ... it took me some time! ...

The UD pulleys only have one potential hard part and that is getting that balancer bolt out! ... impact wrench didn't work so I went a got a bigger one! ... that didn't work so we used the floor jack handle for leverage and modified a strap wrench to hold on with.

The fans were actually easy ... just took some time. Much easier with 2 people for sure!

Oh, and put in RAS today.

Old 05-08-2005, 10:30 AM
64f10
Senior User
Talking

My install took 3 evenings with 2 computer type people playing mechanic. It really helps to have the extra hands for mounting the fans and getting the pulley bolts loose/tight. Didn't rush anything and took a lot of time to read instructions and ponder each step. Went and got a point and shoot thermometer for setting the fan turn on temp,s but ended up figuring out how to use my predator’s diagnostics/monitoring function to watch ECT (engine coolant temperature) as it was more stable, accurate and repeatable.

Performance? Hum? It will never see the track so a tame SOTP is all that I can use for comparison. It does feel lighter and quieter. Now that the fan isn't spinning you can hear everything else! I'm figuring that most of my driving will rarely activate a fan whatsoever. It’s too early to tell any mpg gains if any and SOTP perspective it’s not a night and day sort of deal. The belt squeal at WOT shifts is gone. Feels more responsive at higher RPM’s and is noticeably more quite running down the highway. It’s interesting that shifts seem to be quicker between gears up and down ??? might be the resetting of the learn data from having the battery out for 3 days?

Driving around even in town the fans don't kick on yet ... maybe with warmer temps they will. Temps the last 2 days have been 65-70 so we'll see how things work when it's over 100 here soon. They sure pull a lot of air through when they do activate! When starting up after a short sit, one or two fans kick on from heat soak and then turn off shortly thereafter.

So, with the Roadmaster Active Suspension it was 4 straight days of turning bolts and such. Which brings me to one last modification of the intake via AF1 that I’m waiting in line for? Then I think I'll call it done for at least awhile.

My install took 3 evenings with 2 computer type people playing mechanic. It really helps to have the extra hands for mounting the fans and getting the pulley bolts loose/tight. Didn't rush anything and took a lot of time to read instructions and ponder each step. Went and got a point and shoot thermometer for setting the fan turn on temps but ended up figuring out how to use my predator’s diagnostics/monitoring function to watch ECT (engine coolant temperature) as it was more stable, accurate and repeatable.

Performance? Hum? It will never see the track so a tame SOTP is all that I can use for comparison. It does feel lighter and quieter. Now that the fan isn't spinning, you can hear everything else! I'm figuring that most of my driving will rarely activate a fan whatsoever. It’s too early to tell any mpg gains if any and SOTP perspective it’s not a night and day sort of deal. The belt squeal at WOT shifts is gone. Feels more responsive at higher RPM’s and is noticeably more quite running down the highway. It’s interesting that shifts seem to be quicker between gears up and down ??? might be the resetting of the “learn data” due to having the battery out for 3 days?

Driving around even in town the fans don't kick on yet ... maybe with warmer temps they will. Temps the last 2 days have been 65-70 so we'll see how things work when it's over 100 here soon. They sure pull a lot of air through when they do activate! When starting up after a short sit, one or two fans kick on from heat soak and then turn off shortly thereafter.

So after several months there’s one last modification of the intake via AF1 that I’m waiting in line for? Oh, there is the Xcal coming too but it’s sort of a duplicate thing already done. Then I think I'll call it done for at least a little while.

The forums have been a great resource of information ... I owe a big thanks to ya’ll.

Old 05-08-2005, 01:02 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice photos' and good info.

I see you also work for the Department of Redundancy Department...
Chris

Old 05-08-2005, 01:47 PM
64f10
Senior User
Don't know what happened there? must be my head space & timing ... sort of funny as that's just how I do things sometimes!