2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrades for '06 model F-150

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 07:56 PM
dford3
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Danko
You guys are hilarious! You want 5 speed autos, 6 speed manuals, more h.p., bigger tires and wheels, diesels, more level, better looking, regular cab, 4.10 rear, etc. THEY HAVE THAT!!! IT IS CALLED THE SUPER DUTY!!!!!!!!!!! I have one being built this week with 362 h.p., 457 ft.lbs. of torque, 4.30 posi, MP3 radio, reg cab, 6 speed, steps, polished alum 17" wheels, decent tires, bodyside mldgs and it is costing me $23K "out the door" after saving less than $1K for employee discount (thnx, bro-in-law) and $3K rebate. Ya'll can spend over $30K on your F150;s and I will have one Hell of a better truck for many thousands less. Check out your local dealer. There IS a reason you will see only a couple SD's there and a zillion F150's left over. As far as CVT's go, they use a belt that is not strong enough for real engines. Riceburners do okay with them. Here in Michigan, a drunk smashed into a Honda. The drunk was driving a truck and not injured. The woman and two sons in the Honda are dead. They got good mileage until then, though. See, if you downsize your car, trees, abuttments, buses, trucks, etc. are still big and is your safety worth losing to gain mileage? More airbags is not the answer. More gears in the transmissions will help, though and 6 speed autos are spreading.
I, for one, was mainly liking the idea of a diesel because of the better milege but it might still deliver a little bit more power as well.

Old 05-10-2005, 08:12 PM
Danko
Senior User
employee discount

Adam, I am giving no false price info at all. I said the employee discount saves me less than $1K and invoicepricing.com is available to everyone. The dealers will typically find anyone that pushes for it some "X" Plan papers that will also save money. I too appreciate the ability to get h.p. and 6 gears in a reasonably priced vehicle. I HAVE two F150 automatics and am disappointed in only four gears. When you mention the price difference between 150's and SD's you did not mention they do not have the same number of gears and to properly compare the prices, what you get for the prices should be used, too. Mentioning there is a $1K difference in the rebate is appropriate and lessens the SD to F150 difference by that much. I am REALLY disappointed the Harley pkg. that was a total pkg. for my two trucks has become a trim level only now with no unique engines. The new 2006 F150 HD will offer only one engine that you can get in all the other trucks. If I am getting under someone's skin... TOUGH! I suggest they go back and read this thread from the beginning and note all the items/features that posters are saying they wish they could get in F150's.

Old 05-10-2005, 08:15 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Danko
snip Chris, I am a good example of someone that did not look at Super Duties because he NEEDED a real truck. The SD just happens to have all those things the F150 guys wanted on the previous pages and for the right price and I am going to ENJOY!!!!!!! ..for less than ANY of you are going to be buying new F150's for!
Ithink you might want to look at the request list. Better mileage was a biggie, and I wanted the five speed auto for the fun of driving a quicker sporty truck.
Superduty trucks are not sporty.
I will happily bet my pink against any of yours that I paid less than you did for any of your new trucks, and less than you can buy a Superduty for.
It would be a sucker bet, I have read your posts.
I paid 13k, after rebates. So where do I find that kind of deal on a Superduty?
Anyone can get a good F-150 for well under 19k. There's one in this hick town, new from the dealer, a Supercab for less than that, sitting there as I type.

Where do I get that price on a Superduty, assuming I want to pay the gas, and wrestle that big turkey around the LA basin?

Not a great place to drive a big truck. I know, I have a P30 chassis in the backyard now. It makes your Superduty look tiny. It is great on the open road, and at 70 it's the most comfortable thing you can drive, but she's a bear on parking and drive through.

Actually you can't do drive through, she's just under 10 feet tall. 6 mirrors and a backup camera. You wanna talk macho?
Kidding of course, my wife drives it.
Chris

Old 05-10-2005, 08:50 PM
Danko
Senior User
$13K for a new 2005 F150? I doubt it!

I said I was getting my new SD for less than any of you will be paying for NEW F150's, not what some theoretical nonexistant being might be able to. Go ahead and tell me which one of you is actually buying a 2005 F150 and what you paid (including tax) and what is on it. You call the SD's big and yet I believe mine will be shorter than my F150's are. The wheelbase will be 2" shorter. I am not here to sell SD's and will not try. You know why I posted was in response to what members said they wanted in a truck and my comments are appropriate and if you are looking to argue with someone, talk to the Jap lover that is in the Ford forum. There IS a post in the SD section that says the new V-10's get 17 mpg and the diesels get 22. I find it amazing someone here tells me that is not possible when they do not have a new V-10 and probably do not know anyone that does. I will know pretty soon, but I do not buy vehicles for mileage. I bought a Corvette and drove it for 8 years and sold it for $100 more than I paid for it. I bought another and lost $240 after putting over 16,000 miles on it. To me, that makes those economy cars, regardless of the gas mileage and my new SD will have great resale, too, just like my 2002 and 2003 F150 HarleyDavidson's will. Good night! I am through with this thread. Ya'll can just go on wishing your F150's had more options, features and oomph. Mine DO!

Old 05-10-2005, 08:55 PM
dford3
Freshman User
I thought this thread was about what would be nice improvments for '06 F-150's, not whether to buy a F-150 or Super Duty.

Old 05-10-2005, 09:34 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Yeah, that would be a good thread. What would you like added or changed in the 06?
Chris

Old 05-11-2005, 11:20 AM
Truckasaurus
Senior User
Could have been worse...we could have been arguing about whether the Chebbies are a better truck than our beloved 150's and deuce and a halfs.

I still see no need for anyone to get riled up...no one has said that either of the rigs are crappy, merely we are hung up on which offers better features for the money.

Since we had this discussion perhaps we can ask what tastes better? an apple or an orange? These trucks are not in the same class with each other so why compare them...let's move on.

T

Old 05-12-2005, 12:00 AM
rougeriver
Fleet Mechanic
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Smile

The upgrade most needed for 06 is better fabrics- stain and wear resistant- and a no-cost vinyl option for the XLT. Today I had a loaner (Enterprise rental) 05 XLT while my Lariat was in for the butyl pad fix and the seats looked 10 years old. Obviously this truck hasn't been cared for like a privately owned vehicle but the fabric was stained and frayed like I have never seen in a 6 month old vehicle. Not a pleasant place to be. I am very glad to be back in my clean leather-lined Lariat. Not meant at all to be a knock against anyone's truck with fabric, but you all deserve better. I can only imagine how hard it is to keep looking good. The beautiful vinyl seats of the work truck option should be available in XLT!

Old 05-12-2005, 12:31 AM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rougeriver
The upgrade most needed for 06 is better fabrics- stain and wear resistant- and a no-cost vinyl option for the XLT. Today I had a loaner (Enterprise rental) 05 XLT while my Lariat was in for the butyl pad fix and the seats looked 10 years old. Obviously this truck hasn't been cared for like a privately owned vehicle but the fabric was stained and frayed like I have never seen in a 6 month old vehicle. Not a pleasant place to be. I am very glad to be back in my clean leather-lined Lariat. Not meant at all to be a knock against anyone's truck with fabric, but you all deserve better. I can only imagine how hard it is to keep looking good. The beautiful vinyl seats of the work truck option should be available in XLT!
I should have thought of that one, myself. My light gray cloth seat is already looking old, with less than 6k garaged miles on it.

Good one Rougeriver.
Chris

Old 05-12-2005, 11:31 AM
KevinM
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Voice activated GPS, radio button on the steering wheel to allow you to change from station to station(seek) without it using the memory presets.

Old 05-12-2005, 07:35 PM
dford3
Freshman User
The fabrics on the seat are rougher than the ones on this Super Duty that i've seen. I think that the F-150 used to have those fabrics too. Hopefully they can make them a little softer (like the ones i've seen), more water resistent, and stains wash out eaisier. I doubt that it will accually happen though.

Old 05-13-2005, 11:00 PM
dilas
Tuned
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
last comment on F150 vs F250

When I was in the "new" truck market, I wanted the 6.5 bed, roomier crew cab, good gas mileage, and a truck that will pull my 3K tent trailer and my family. So the choice narrows down to F150 crew or F250 crew with diesel (for bit better gas mileage and bigger bed). Knowing F150 is plenty truck for my need. Was drooling for F250 looking at option papers, it's capabilities, the pricing difference is somewhat minimal at around 10% more (for the V10) but steeper for the diesel. After testing drive the Superduty and F150, the choice was easy. F150.... better handling and nicer to drive/ride for daily driver. If I have a bigger trailer such as TT or fifth wheeler, then I would definitely go for superduty. SO F150 isn't a poor choice AT ALL. I'm not a strong believer into buying more than I need. Same applies to owning a 2500 sq footage home for family of four, 4000 sq footage home is nice but it's more than we ever would need. Just my 2 cents worth.

Back to this thread, new Supercrew should include 6.5 bed and smaller diesel engine for better gas mileage.

Old 05-14-2005, 08:05 AM
Danko
Senior User
Okay, how much better would the mileage have to be and how many miles would you have to drive annually to justify spending an extra $5500 on a diesel and $1500 on an automatic with fewer gears? (especially with diesel prices up!) Somehow I cannot help but think mileage is not enough reason to opt for the expensive pkg. unless a zillion miles are driven. Remember, too, there is cost associated with having that extra $7K tied up. You are paying interest on a bigger loan or foregoing income on it if you paid cash. My state charges more forever for plates/registration if the MSRP is higher, too, and the insurance costs also are higher. Do ya'll REALLY realize how expensive diesels are? Maybe I am all wet because the Jeep Liberty offers a 2.7 diesel for about half of the big numbers above ........ ???????? But to me it still makes no sense to buy a diesel for mileage........

Old 05-14-2005, 10:26 AM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Any fuel mileage increase, and there frequently is none, is eaten by the cost of diesel, cost of the motor, finance costs, and taxes, plus the extra expenses of running diesel.
Like more frequent oil changes, more oil during a change, needed fuel additives, driving out of your way to buy fuel, and much more expensive maintenance.
The best reason to have diesel is ‘bragging rights’ and proof that you have ‘bigger equipment’ than the other guy.
Now if you have a diesel Superduty, and you tow with it, the fact that it costs more is not what’s important. It does tow better, and is a fine choice in a ‘working truck’.
The extra expense is a cost of doing business.
The guy driving the diesel truck to go to the grocery store or to play golf is sending an entirely different message…
The idea that you bought it for mileage is a bad joke. Something you tell the wife, hoping she isn’t too good with a calculator.
Chris

Old 05-14-2005, 06:24 PM
desratt
Freshman User
I am not a diesel fan.
ok now my wife bought a jetta tdi (diesel) and it gets 50 miles every time I do the mpg. the owners manual says. change oil once a year, regardless of miles. It is a 1.9 yet the turbo charged engine flat has power. with cars I see it as a very good alternative.
ok now the utility company I work for is for diesels. how ever if you notice the diesel engines are all bigger (like 5.4 gas Vs so called smaller diesel 6.0). I think you are only joking yourself if you buy a diesel truck for the gas milage. if you want better milage step down to a 4.2. most f-150 owners will never need the power the 5.4 has.
most people will never tow anything and if so maybe once a year. so go alittle slower with a smaller engine once a year.

Quick Reply: Upgrades for '06 model F-150