Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

Load Ratings

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 11:20 PM
Chichomang
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Load Ratings

I am thinking about putting something a bit wider on my stock rims (might switch to some Eagles or MT classic IIs depending upon cash flow).

I looked in the FAQ and noticed that 295/75/16 is as large as I can go w/out a lift.

Here's the issue: The tires that came with the truck (Steeltex 265/75s) have an "E" load rating according to some local tire outfits. The BFG ATs have a "D" load rating. When will this become a problem? Only under heavy load, or is it a better idea to stick with the E rated tires and scrap the whole idea?

I have an '02 F250 V10 - bone stock except for the sprayed bed, plastic vent and bug things, and XM. I don't normally haul too much weight (usually just firewood, lumber, quad) or tow anything at all.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 05-07-2005, 01:18 AM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you don't haul heavy loads or travel on rocky surfaces, D should be OK.

Old 05-07-2005, 01:38 AM
Chichomang
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the response, aurgathor. I do take my truck back into the woods on bumpy trails... I put the tires on the rocks quite often. I don't beat it up, but it is "off-road" quite a bit (often filled with firewood in the fall).

Are there any other options in an E rated tire without a lift kit and 35+ in tires? I can't find too many and I don't want to sacrifice functionality just for the better looks of bigger rubber. I mean, what does everyone else do about this?