Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Straight piping in NJ

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 06:33 AM
thinksnow
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Straight piping in NJ

Ive been going back and forth on this for sometime now. I'm trying to decide between straight piping my '02 or installing a Walker BTM. Does anyone know if you can get past inspection in NJ with a straight pipe?

Old 05-06-2005, 10:46 AM
rmilchman
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was wondering the same thing and could not find any information. I decided to go with the straight pipe, my first inspection is a year from now. Worst case I fail and pay a local shop for a sticker.

Old 05-06-2005, 11:14 AM
thinksnow
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was on the phone with the DMV inspection section for about 20 minutes this morning. The woman was very helpful but the answer is "if the truck is sold factory equiped with a muffler then it must have a muffler at inspection." She did say however that if the truck wasn't that much louder at inspection the inspector might just put the probe in the pipe and not even look under the truck. I think I'll go for the straight pipe and if I get jammed up I'll install a Walker BTM. Did you do yours already? How do you like it?

Old 05-06-2005, 08:20 PM
gameboynws
Senior User
if your truck is registered over 9 or 10k lbs you dont have to visit the inspection station. You are supposed to do a self inspection (what ever that means). The lady said i didn't need to go thru the line, so i left.

Old 05-06-2005, 08:28 PM
gameboynws
Senior User
you could also go to a local repair garage to get your inspection sticker. You might get lucky and find a forgiving garage to overlook your missing muffler.

Old 05-06-2005, 10:21 PM
surfclam
Senior User
At the inspection station I go to , heck all they do is check is my lights and brakes. I was thinking about doing the same thing- got mine thru this month. now I can straightpipe it and worry about it in 2yrs.

Old 05-06-2005, 11:53 PM
rmilchman
Elder User
The DMV center I use is Quackerbridge, they usually don't give people a hard time.

gameboyws, I believe the information about self inspection and weight is if you have commercial tags and maintain a log book.

Old 05-07-2005, 10:49 PM
Steve_250
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by thinksnow
Ive been going back and forth on this for sometime now. I'm trying to decide between straight piping my '02 or installing a Walker BTM. Does anyone know if you can get past inspection in NJ with a straight pipe?
Yous guys got inspections in NJ? Wow, bummer....
Hell, just show 'em the turbo and say it's an in-line exhaust system. Or you could just "buy" your inspection sticker.
Nah, I didn't say that.....