1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

fuel tank woes

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2000, 12:01 PM
tmcalavy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fuel tank woes

Thanks to all who replied to my post on TSB help. Have since found out that my truck has only the top vent hose on each tank that I can't get to without raising the bed off the frame or dropping the tanks completely.
But I'm wondering if this slow filling front tank problem is related to my rear tank fuel pump being faulty. A couple of months ago, I noticed on a road trip that the back tank pumped the front tank almost full after switching the selector from front to rear. Plus when I did a pit stop, I noticed the rear pump whining, so I switched back to the front tank. I'm guessing my rear pump is shot and needs replacing because its cross-flow check valve is apparently shot, or it wouldn't pump into the front tank. Haven't done that repair yet, though. The question is, could my faulty rear tank pump/check valve affect my front tank's ability to burp through its vent hose? The service a** at the only Ford Dealer around here said the tank vent hoses connect to a check valve on the tank. Is that right?? How do you tell if such a check valve is shot? One last query: for the average joe with average tools/equipment, is it easier to drop the tank to change an in-tank fuel pump and check vent hoses, or is it easier to remove the bed bolts/nuts and raise the bed off the frame??

Old 06-01-2000, 10:48 PM
PAUL_2
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
fuel tank woes

Tim ,
Its much easier to lower the tank . My dad had the same problem with the rear tank filling the front , They replaced the check valve under warranty . The Tsb you asked about for the F250 etc dealt with the fill pipe being too small . I suspect the problems youre having are totally related to the check valve malfunctioning . It basically boils down to the air in the tank having no where to go when you fill the tank . Its basic physics ..when you fill a space with a liquid , the air has to have some place to go . W/o going into lengthy detail ( Late Here ) From previous exp , once you get this check valve , which has been updated to a design that works ) You shouldnt have any more problems .
Paul

Old 06-02-2000, 04:48 AM
TallPaul
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fuel tank woes