1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Paint the dash with Zero Rust?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 07:11 AM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint the dash with Zero Rust?

Well I looked inside my truck and noticed everything is out except the gages which is easy enough to do I hope. I am thinking of painting the dash and maybe what ever else is left to cover up a few of the chips it has. I am going to lightly sand to smooth out the chips under the glove box. Prime to promote adhesion to the old black paint then paint. I am thinking of painting the truck exterior with Zero Rust can I do the dash with it? How would it look? Can I add a little clear to help with the UV fading? I want the interior to match the exterior when I get that far.

Old 05-04-2005, 02:11 PM
mt54
Posting Guru
I painted my whole cab inside and out with ZR it turned out very well, of course my plan is just using it as the base and paint over in time I just wanted it protected during the construction. I was in touch with a ZR factory rep who said this will work fine as long as you allow atleast 30 day prior to any top coating or fillers are applied. Also stated there will be no need for epoxy primer as the ZR will do its job. Just move right to the sandable primer (urth)
There are Pics in my gallery if you care to look. (P.S. I sprayed it on)
Mike

Old 05-07-2005, 06:21 PM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On their website, Zero-rust warns about fading and chalking in applications exposed to UV. They recommend going over the opaque coat with their own brand of clear finish.

Old 05-07-2005, 08:55 PM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
I am planning on using a satin finish as a clear top coat for UV protection. I need to contact them and see what I need to use. I am not sure the clear coat will give me the desired finish.

Originally Posted by jvmcc
On their website, Zero-rust warns about fading and chalking in applications exposed to UV. They recommend going over the opaque coat with their own brand of clear finish.

Old 05-07-2005, 09:53 PM
ke6bnl
Senior User
Originally Posted by jvmcc

ZR does recommend that you protect the paint with a uv protection BUT I used it on my doghouse cover on my 63 econoline that was exposed to direct sun for a couple of years and it looked the same as first painted, sold it so the test is over. My ford F1 sat outside in the weather for 1 year after painting the frame and no rust not chalking, I painted over many rear end parts and brake parts with NO prep and the gloss black paint looked great and adhered great. just my experience do what you think best Ed ke6bnl
brake fluid will destroy it though don't ask how I know.

Old 05-07-2005, 10:09 PM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
I want the extra protection on the dash just to make sure it does not get sctratched up. It is easy to do the inside right now because I have just about everything out getting ready to put new interior pieces in.