1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

97 Expy EB w/LLS Ride Height

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 12:16 AM
ltmerrill
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 97 Expy EB w/LLS Ride Height

I have been next to other EB and XLT Expy's and have noticed that theirs rides higher than mine. I have recently replaced the shocks and everything is working as required. My question is what should the height of the vehicle be? If someone can give me any idea as to how high it should sit I would appreciate it. I know that there are sensors that can be adjusted to raise or lower the vehicle. I just feel that mine is not riding at the proper heighth.

Old 05-04-2005, 11:32 AM
01silvergt
Senior User
Talking

Not sure what the Factory ride height should be, but I have a friend with a 2000 with rear springs, and if we are side by side his sits higher than mine. I have a 99 with LLS. Now when we were towing jet skis (2 on his and 2 on mine) my truck sat a bit higher than his at that time.

So maybe those with springs sit higher unloaded than ours do, and ours sit higher loaded than theirs. Hence LLS!

Old 05-04-2005, 12:00 PM
pitrow
Elder User
I have a '99 with LLS and my roommate has an '02 F150 Supercrew (standard spring suspension) both are stock as far as wheels/tires and suspension goes. When they sit next to each other in the driveway mine sits about 2" lower than hers. I know the LLS drops down when it's parked so I figure the actual ride height difference is probably right around 1". Then again, that maybe the difference between a truck and an SUV.

Old 05-04-2005, 01:21 PM
ugotkern
Junior User
I have 3 Eddie Bauer Expeditions... 2 1997 models w/ LLS and a 1998 w/o LLS. There is definately a differance between the ones with LLS compared to my other. My guess is its a 2 to 3 inch ride height differance. On several occasions I've drove side by side and the height differance was very noticeable just by looking at the mirrors. I spoke with several Ford techs and its possible to raise the height but they advised not to raise the height on the LLS because of possible suspension airbag damage which is very costly.

Old 05-04-2005, 07:35 PM
ltmerrill
Freshman User
Thumbs up

Thanks you guys are great. I knew that mine was riding lower, but thought that there was a problem with my LLS. Since everyone agrees that the straight spring is about 2" higher than mine appears to be at about the correct height.

Thanks again for everyone's reply.....

Old 05-04-2005, 08:27 PM
orleec
Senior User
Ltmerrill,

You mentioned replacing your shocks recently. I have replaced my rear shocks with Bilstein and have been waiting for front 'air' shocks for more than a month now (Napa is supposed to have them as NS 40004 which sounds like a generic of Monroe 40004). It is back-ordered per Napa, and I even tried on-line purchase from Napaonline, my order got processed but they credited back my paytment since it's not available yet. Dealer wants $180 a piece, the Napa/Monroe when it becomes available is only $80. Advance Auto is also not yet selling the said part (unavailable as of yet).

Did you get the dealer's front shocks? How hard is it to replace (assuming you did it yourself). Would front 'air' shocks replacement require re-alignment? I understand that under normal circumstances, shocks are not really part of suspension, but I would think 'air' shocks is, since it lower/raise the vehicle.

I have 88k on my 998XP-XLT and boy, did the rear new shock made a difference. I know that once I replaced the front shocks, it will definitely improve the ride further. I have ordered a refurbished compressor-drier already and am just waiting for the shocks.

FYI, I had a 2000EB that got totaled. It was a conventional suspension, and when I had it with about 90k, I replaced the shocks with Rancho RSX. Needless to say, I really liked it that I got almost the same thing (white XP), and apart from some extra trims, they are identical since my 99XLT has the same steel chrome wheel and leather interior.

Thanks

Old 05-04-2005, 09:16 PM
ltmerrill
Freshman User
Yes I replaced them myself. I have an artificial elbow and with the use of air tools (I have them as I require them) I replace the front in 45 minutes. Very easy to do, take off the front tire, remove the air line and remove the shock. Replace in reverse order. I did not get an alighment as these are just shocks with air bags. My compresser was still good, just running every 2-3 minutes so did not replace the compressor/dryer. I like you tried to find aftermarket but could not even find ones on the internet. I got mine at the dealer and bought all four for $330. Never pay retail price. I called four dealers before I got this price. Just tell them you will not pay full price and you want to know what their best price is. You would be amased as to how the dealer inflates the prices.

Old 05-07-2005, 10:30 AM
orleec
Senior User
Thanks Ltmerrill.

I called around and maybe I just don't have a skill to haggle...

Anyway, it's nice to hear that its easy to do.

I'm sure that stock shock is still better than a worn one. But I'm hoping that aftermarket could be even better (and as I said earlier, a lot cheaper too).
Mine is not out yet, but I believe that after almost 90k miles, its time to replace it and have no doubt that doing so will be an improvement. So I will just wait for it to be available - I do have some other projects in line...

Thanks again.

Old 05-08-2005, 12:10 AM
dbexpydrvr
New User
Check online for low prices on OEM parts. I got my front LLS air shocks from fordpartscheap.com for around 105 each. Very easy to install, I didn't even remove the wheels.

Old 05-08-2005, 08:33 PM
lakesidebluexpy
Junior User
ltmerril-

i'd like to posit another possible reason for "ride height differences".

many do not realize that there is a ride height difference between 4x2 and 4x4 expys. 4x2 will always ride noticeably lower- so much so that some believe my 4x2 eb expy has been "lowered".

check it out......lakeside

Old 05-08-2005, 08:49 PM
ltmerrill
Freshman User
I have a 4X4 so that is why I was asking. I did read that if you put the expy in 4L that the LLS will raise the truck up 1-2 more inches. That would put it at about the same ride height as the straight spring models.

Old 05-10-2005, 09:14 AM
madspence2
Freshman User
There are many many many posts in this forum about the LLS system and ride hieght. Take a few minutes to read through them. As for the dealer that told you that adjusting the ride hieght could damage the air bags, I beg to differ. There is a sensor in the back that you can adjust to get the ride height up. You will find details on that in this forum. When your truck is in 4X4 low it will raise up a lot, which means that the air bags can handle it. Also another trick that I learned is to put it in low, let it pump up and then turn the air ride off. Your truck will stay at that height until you turn the system back on.

Old 05-10-2005, 03:11 PM
ugotkern
Junior User
Yeah... the airbags can handle the height increase by placing your Expedition in 4L, they're designed that way. But who drives in 4L at all times to test that theory? As far as turning off your suspension after raising it to your desired level.. yeah that works too and you get to stare at a check suspension light until you turn it back on. My suggestion because of the extreme cost if it becomes damaged it to use the LLS system the way it was designed. If your not happy with the ride height then there are many posts in these forums to convert to non-LLS suspension.

Old 05-10-2005, 03:42 PM
pitrow
Elder User
So you're saying I shouldn't leave mine in 4L all weekend when I go camping out in the sand dunes? They're not designed for that? then I want my money back. I dare to say that the abuse my suspension gets driving around in sand dunes in 4-Low for two days is WAY more abuse then you're going to get in ANY amount of street driving. I'd say, pump 'em up and leave 'em. They'll be fine.

Old 05-10-2005, 03:45 PM
silly34
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where on the forums is the info for adjusting the LLS sensor for more height??

B.