1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Portable Sandblaster First Use

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 08:17 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Plastic media is probably the best and safest to use.

Old 05-03-2005, 08:41 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,836 Likes on 1,835 Posts
The plastic media, as well as organics like walnut shells etc would probably be better for our hobby anyway. I think that they would build up less heat and therefore not warp the metal as bad. I've heard something recently about soda blasting, which is basically blasting with baking soda I think (Sodium Bicarbonate??) its supposed to be real easy on the material being blasted.
I have no idea how expensive it is or if the soda is readily available.

Bobby

Old 05-03-2005, 09:51 AM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody have information on palstic media or baking soda? I want use the blaster on fenders this summer.

Old 05-03-2005, 10:02 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Here is of link about soda blasting, sounds perfect for our hobby

http://www.ace-sandblasting.com/soda...g-article.html

Old 05-03-2005, 10:27 AM
Scott123
Elder User
The guy who sandblasted my frame in was also into soda blasting. He blasts an entire car, under hood and trunk, and door jams for $600-$800. When he's done he wipes it down with vinegar and water to neutralize the baking soda. He said the soda grains start out about the size of sugar grains, so it's not your typical box of arm & hammer baking soda. It does not create any heat to distort the panels, nor does it erode metal away like sand can. He has a lot of people with 60's muscle cars with thinner sheet metal use the soda blasting and they have no warpage to the door skins or other vulnerable panels.

Scott

Old 05-03-2005, 11:48 AM
j gibbs
Senior User
I've seen walnut-shell media on harbor freights website. It is about the same price as aluminum oxide.

All I know about the baking soda is that it is what my dentist uses on my teeth . I do remember someone saying that it is a wet media, so a conventional sandblaster wouldn't work, but maybe there is something new or different out there.

Old 05-03-2005, 11:56 AM
j gibbs
Senior User
I just went to the link George gave and found this:

"Type CE abrasive-blast supplied-air respirators are the only respirators suitable for use in abrasive-blasting operations."

Does supplied-air mean that it has an air supply? It sounds to me that the only thing that should be used is simmilar to scuba gear. Is that right, or am I misunderstanding what a supplied-air respirator is?

FYI: To back up what has already been brought up, it also says that silica sand should not be used.

Old 05-03-2005, 12:22 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
A typical supplied air respirator for a sand blasting operation is a large hood type structure that is worn over the head, there is a face piece to see though, it rests on the top of your head and your shoulders and drapes down yoru front and back. There is a air supply line that feeds in air from a compressor (after it is filtered and scrubbed). They are heavy and uncomfortable.
The OSHA PEL(permissable exposure limit) for a 8hr TWA (time weighted average) is 80mg/meter cubed divided by the %SiO2...blah blah blah
Basically all the data and facts are based on employees working in industry or mroe simply, people who are sandblasting day in and day out for most of their workshift.

For the home hobbiest who is going to blast several times a year at most, having a full bore supplied air respirator is probably overkill. Yes, it is a danged good idea to protect yourself from breathing in large amounts of silica dust (or any other dust for that matter) but a regular respirator, eye protection, and face shield will suffice.

If you are going to do your own blasting (I don't, I hate blasting--I've done it wearing the full blown hood) take the necessary precautions to keep yourself safe. Do a little research on the subject, here is an article about silicosis. As you read up on the subject keep in kind exposure levels, especially the difference in expoure levels between the home hobbiest and the employee.

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/sili...silicosis.html

OK, I'll get off the soapbox

Bobby

Old 05-03-2005, 12:46 PM
j gibbs
Senior User
Bobby,

I didn't notice any soap box.

I figured that a compressed-air-fed hood was overkill and that's why I asked. I guess I should have said "what kind does everyone else use?" I know I have read on some of the paper masks' packages that they aren't intended for media blasting. I have some from work that are half masks that look like darth vader, they don't say not to use them for media blasting and they say they filter 99.5% of particles. I have used my sandblaster twice now and use the darth vader masks. So I guess I'm not being careless.

Old 05-03-2005, 02:24 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
J

LOL, thanks

You'll be in good shape. I had thought about getting sand blaster for home use but it seemed like a big hassle--getting and keeping sand dry, cleaning up after, etc. I am pretty curious about the soda blasting stuff, from the little I read it sounds like a good way to go. I just don't know how readily available the materials are.
I'm fixing to clean and paint the front of my frame (hopefully by this weekend) Its not too greasy so I'll just knock all the loose scale off, degrease it and shoot it with some Rustoleum.

I sure am ready to get this thing on the road.