Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

odometer error

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 08:52 PM
kylekip68
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
odometer error

hello, i recently swapped out my instrument cluster for a tach cluster. the truck stated that it had 167,000 miles on it before i did the swap. now it reads 87,000 miles. everything else works properly. i switched the odometers and it still reads 87,000 miles. i unhooked the battery to clear the computer but it still reads 87,000. is their another way to fix this? the truck is a 94 f-250 4x4 xlt, 5.8 with auto o/d.

Old 04-30-2005, 01:42 AM
subnet76
Junior User
Im not sure about your question and i dont mean to hijack your thread, but how difficult was it to install the new cluster? I would like to have one with the tach also. And did your cluster come with the odomiter in it or did you use the old one?

Old 04-30-2005, 08:49 AM
kylekip68
New User
the cluster was easy to install but i also have a tilt column which helped. the cluster came with an odometer.

Old 04-30-2005, 12:28 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Kyle: On the 94, the odometer is a digital board behind the speedometer, that also drives the servo that moves the speedo needle. The "data" value of your mileage is on that board. So, you need to swap your speedometer from your old cluster, to the new cluster. More specifically, swap this board if your original speedometer is toast.

You're other option is to take your old cluster, and your truck with the new cluster, to your local Ford Dealer for "adjustment". They have a tool that can program the correct mileage in about a minute.

Subnet: Replacing the cluster is easy... you remove the black plastic cluster shroud, which is held on with spring clips and two screws that are under the black plastic trim pieces. Once that is removed, you can remove the four screws that hold the cluster into the dash plastic, pull it forward, and disconnect the three connectors. Maybe a 10 minute job. Installation is the reverse.

Old 04-30-2005, 01:04 PM
kylekip68
New User
okay, thanks for you help frederic. i"ll try switching the whole speedometer first.

Old 05-01-2005, 11:11 PM
subnet76
Junior User
Originally Posted by frederic
Kyle: On the 94, the odometer is a digital board behind the speedometer, that also drives the servo that moves the speedo needle. The "data" value of your mileage is on that board. So, you need to swap your speedometer from your old cluster, to the new cluster. More specifically, swap this board if your original speedometer is toast.

You're other option is to take your old cluster, and your truck with the new cluster, to your local Ford Dealer for "adjustment". They have a tool that can program the correct mileage in about a minute.

Subnet: Replacing the cluster is easy... you remove the black plastic cluster shroud, which is held on with spring clips and two screws that are under the black plastic trim pieces. Once that is removed, you can remove the four screws that hold the cluster into the dash plastic, pull it forward, and disconnect the three connectors. Maybe a 10 minute job. Installation is the reverse.
Ahh, easier than I thought. I guess ill start looking for a cluster with a Tach. Thanks!