1992 Ford Aerostar XL Digital Dash

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 07:58 PM
cnajp
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 Ford Aerostar XL Digital Dash

Hello,

I have recently purchased a 1992 Ford Explorer, extended.....with 130k on it. It seems to be a really nice car, but, I purchased it with knowing that there was an error with the digital dash readouts. Everything lights up, as pretty as can please, but, none of the gauges are actually working. I am not sure what is wrong, but, it really would be nice to be able to see how fast I am going....lol

Like I say, everything lights up, all of the instrument panel lights up, but, everything says zero's. It also says "error" where the odometer reading should be. I was wondering if this was an easy fix.....

Thanks to everyone for their help!

-J-

Old 04-26-2005, 06:18 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,729 Likes on 1,399 Posts
Don't know. Some of these later dashes have to be taken to the dealer and they have to program something in them, especially if it has been swapped in from a junkyard vehicle.

Old 04-26-2005, 09:52 PM
cnajp
Junior User
Question New findings about my digital dash

I found out today that if I am to unplug the battery, and plug it back in, then everything resets, and I can see my mileage again, and all of the guages work. As I am driving down the road, suddenly the dash becomes black, and then everything resets back to 0....and the odomoeter will say error. I was told that it could be the voltage regulator for the dash, since tapping the dash does nothing to fix the problem, but, I don't know the symptoms of a in-dash voltage regulator that controls the digital dash. Has anyone had a similiar experience that they might have came across, or ever heard of a voltage regulator for the dash?

Thanks very much!

-J-

Old 04-27-2005, 10:21 PM
cnajp
Junior User
Hello All!

I took the digital cluster out today and completely cleaned all connections, and checked for any wiring that was incorrect, but, everything looked great. I turned the car off and on a couple of times to make sure that everything was working correctly. Everything worked like a charm until I was driving down the road, then, suddenly, the instrument panel went completely black!! That only has happened for a split second, and then turned back on, but, this time.....it took much longer to turn back on, and when it did.....everything on the dash looked really strange. Every place there was supposed to be a number said zero, and the odometer reading went back to error again. I am supposing it could be a ground wire, but, I have no earthly idea where to look. I have a Haynes manual, which seems to be of no help to me, since I have no clue how to read the wiring diagrams within it. I was also wondering if it could be a faulty speed control or anything like that? I was also told it could be a in-dash voltage regulator, but, I don't know what one looks like. There are several underneath the dash, but, I wouldn't chance taking anything loose like that until I knew for sure, since the car is equipped with an airbag. I wouldn't want that blowing up on me.....lol

So, I am still trying to find the problem, but, with time restraining, it is hard to take alot of time to find things, but, I guess I shall try again tomorrow. Thanks again to all who have helped me!

-J-

CORRECTION: The car in question is a 1992 Ford Aerostar Extended van. 153k miles, digital instrument cluster, XLT instead of a Ford Explorer.......