Modular V10 (6.8l)  

05 V10 vs 05 HEMI in 1/4 mile

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 07:27 PM
DenDanger
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by captchas
don't start any thing like that man. we have a few insurgents in here.
That is funny. Thanks.

Old 04-24-2005, 07:54 PM
captchas
his user name is musclecarfan. age sixteen family owns a dodge dealer and he gets hot when we ride the dcx /mopars.
good one as always fred. love my v10 . some thing we need to do is get some small rams heads decals to put on the doors like i do do with rising sun flags on my harleys tank.

Old 04-24-2005, 08:09 PM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good post Fred and I like those 289s, Back in 68 I had a Comet Caliente 289 and I even beat a Chevelle 327 because he had the old 2 speed power glide and I had the 3 speed Ford auto. I traded the Caliente 2 door hard top in on a 66 Comet Cyclone Convertable, great for picking up girls. That 289 was no where near the power of the hardtop.
I had a real good laugh Sat morn. I got a red light on the highway and this young guy in pretty little Chev gasser chops out beside me at the last sec. He must of had the baby motor because I could see he had a stick and he starts creeping the light. I got 38 years experience doing this and it is so easy with the V10. It really wasn't a race and I felt sorry for the Kid. It was a wide intersection and I was able to put my blinker on and do a lane change in front of him before we got to the other side. I kept her going till up to speed then I tapped the brake and backed off. It took a while for him to catch and pass me. I looked over with my BSEG but he was looking straight ahead.
God , I love this truck. Wrench.

Old 04-24-2005, 08:21 PM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
his user name is musclecarfan. age sixteen family owns a dodge dealer and he gets hot when we ride the dcx /mopars.
good one as always fred. love my v10 . some thing we need to do is get some small rams heads decals to put on the doors like i do do with rising sun flags on my harleys tank.
Well I can see a Dealer's son liking the Dodge product but I can 't see anybody being proud of the Mexican factories that they are building entire trucks at less than fruit picker wages. At least Ford is mostly made in US and Canada with workers making a decent wage. I know all our wiring harnesses are made in Mexico. I don't really care where a vehicle is made as much as I care that the workers make a decent living. Honda employs 4300 Canadians.
Good Deal .Capital knows no borders and travels around the world. I work for a Company based in Norway. Before that I worked for a Company based in New Zealand but I always made good coin because I live in Canada.

Old 04-25-2005, 12:58 AM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Wrench, don't get too excited..........Some Super Duties are also made in Mexico.

If your VIN starts with a 3 you're driving an import!!! Doesn't really matter to me too much but my SD is a Mexican.

BTW, got the plates for the Lightning. They read, "HEMITHS".

Old 04-25-2005, 04:48 AM
captchas
Thumbs up oboy

and i thought i was bad. 10 burning, 4 turning. good luck. flame every one you can.

Old 04-25-2005, 07:46 AM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
Smile

Originally Posted by DOHCmarauder
Wrench, don't get too excited..........Some Super Duties are also made in Mexico.

If your VIN starts with a 3 you're driving an import!!! Doesn't really matter to me too much but my SD is a Mexican.

BTW, got the plates for the Lightning. They read, "HEMITHS".
I have never seen a SD in Canada ( and we have lots of them ) that was made in Mexico. Our Vins all start with a 1 and we all have the sticker from
that good old Kentucky Truck Plant on our windows. I might be wrong but I am sure that the large majority of SD are made in the good old USA and that makes me happy. I am sure that vehicles made in Mexico can be as high a quality as anywhere, just bugs me that big companies exploit the poor and the tour bus operators in Mexico tell tourists that Mexican workers on legal work permits picking fruit in California make more money per hour than the auto workers in Mexico. That is sad!

Old 04-25-2005, 07:53 AM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
Wink

and i thought i was bad. 10 burning, 4 turning. good luck. flame every one you can.

Charlie, you know a little flame on the steak just adds to the taste.
It's the same on a forum. A little flame adds a little spice and some of us just like a little controversy in life. If any of my comments ever offend people , I truly apologize. We all post on FTE for entertainment and education and I have had a lot of both from this great website. Take care, Wrench.

Old 04-25-2005, 01:12 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Wrenchtraveller
I have never seen a SD in Canada ( and we have lots of them ) that was made in Mexico. Our Vins all start with a 1 and we all have the sticker from
that good old Kentucky Truck Plant on our windows. I might be wrong but I am sure that the large majority of SD are made in the good old USA and that makes me happy. I am sure that vehicles made in Mexico can be as high a quality as anywhere, just bugs me that big companies exploit the poor and the tour bus operators in Mexico tell tourists that Mexican workers on legal work permits picking fruit in California make more money per hour than the auto workers in Mexico. That is sad!

Not sure how they divey 'em up or where they go. It was a shock to me to find out about our beloved Ford outsourcing my Super Duty.

I'm 100% in agreement with you on the exploitation and the fact that building a factory in Mex. takes many jobs (not just UAW) from the local economies.

I do have to laugh when some people tout "Buy American" and their vehicle was built on foreign soil, or controlled by a foreign conglomerate.....read Dodge!!!

Old 04-25-2005, 06:50 PM
captchas
dohc
correct me if i'm wrong please. i think gm is also on that mexico list. along with vw. bettles, jetta's. golf comes from brazil. the rest i agree with you on.

Old 04-25-2005, 08:44 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
YOU'RE WRONG!! Just kidding!!

GM absolutely produces vehicles in Meheeco including the Silverado. Not hip on VW....

Old 04-25-2005, 09:16 PM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Very few of the SuperDuty series is assembled in Mexico. Some of the over flow 450/550 series is and those weird cab forward big trucks. My special edition Platinum F250 was assembled in Mexico.

Other than the obvious loss of jobs up here I have a slightly different take on the "buy America" debate... and trust me folks nobody bleeds "Red, White, N Blue" more than me. For the record and a debate for another forum I am strongly anti union.

Like I said hold your flames for another forum and thread, I just want to give another perspective to our little semi global economy relating to Ford trucks and thought you all should know one of my motivating background beliefs.

The border states, forget about the inherent danger of terrorist illegals, have a severe problem with Mexico that our government is trying to solve with NAFTA. It might work but it will take many years... we need to drag Mexico kicking and fighting into the 20th century. (Yes we are in the 21st but baby steps build strength and stability). Part of this is letting American companies establish factories and plants in Mexico to help promote a viable industrial based economy.

There are many and great debates yet to happen on if this is a good idea or not. But the Fact is, we are in to the second administration that supports NAFTA and there is no way to stop that train.

As long as the examples of American engineered products exhibit the same or better assembly standards, I am OK with my spending of my money to get the product I want and I rarely base my purchase on country of origin except with the current French attitude. ( I choose to punish those arrogant butt heads).

There are many Asian made products that are much better and much cheaper that the American product. Well, I want the most bang for my buck and thanks to me and millions like me, the American auto manufacturers finally got their heads out of their collective butts and got the message. Man the cars from 1972 to 1985 just plain sucked!

What do I care about the politics or government subsidized companies in Japan hurting the American auto maker. I owned two of the best rated sports cars in the world that would run circles around any Corvette for almost half the price.

Sorry folks that may be un American to some, but to me it was the best way to spend my money. Funny but it took Chevy 20 years to figure out that the same 20,000 loyal vette owners were all they could sell to.

OK back to your regularly scheduled BSEG debate on old school semi efficient combustion chamber design the HEMI... BTW Harley and all other engineers of motors found the lower compression and squish of the wedge head to yield more power for less fuel a long time ago... the "New Dodge Hemi" is rightly referred to as de-evolution and the only reason they sell is the new guys are too young to remember the Hemi origins and how Ford and Chevy found ways to get more HP Torque with out a head redesign and associated tooling...damn more potentially lost jobs...my o my what are we to do.

Old 04-25-2005, 09:53 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Of course you're correct............EXCEPT when jobs are lost here.

Do you have any numbers or % of Super Duties that were made in Mexico. They seem to be more common here ou west......maybe shipping is cheaper?

Funny you'd use Harley and power in the same sentence

Nothing de-evolutionized about the new pseudo-hemi. It's a great head, it's simply a crossflow wedge.

Last edited by DOHCmarauder; 04-25-2005 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:30 PM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Now come on DOHCmarader you must know that I drag race a Harley "type" big twin and and old 900/1000?? Kawa Z1B (the ?? are because I have reworked it so many times I forget what cc she is)

You got a good list in your sig and I like the new Kawa ok but the competition is always right on your heels. In 1976 when I bought the Z1B for $2634 she was the fastest production machine on the planet. Yes 175mph is passé these days, but back them Honda and Suzuki could not catch it off the show room floor.

Had a VMax for a while that was sort of fast (grin) sold it here in the states because the police did not have any sense of humor like the German Polizie do.

As a kid I always love the peculiar sound a big twin had so when I had a chance to get one under military sales in Germany I bought two. A 93FXR SuperGlide 1340 (80CI) and 93 Hugger 883cc ( I do not race my FXR but another race built frame with a pseudo Harley type big twin motor)

Mid band torque is where most 1/8 or 1/4 mile races are won and I can get the big twin down the 1/4th track under 12 sec but the old 4 in line Kawa still takes 13.172

This is purely a Pa and Son local weekend thing and we don't seriously compete other than for the noise, smells and party after fun. Two years we went all over Texas and Louisiana but that started to cost too much and we needed to think big buck 500+HP motors we decided we had just as much fun on our 1/8th local track.

No I have no idea on Mexico mix...all my dealers here in central Texas get KTP SuperDuty and the only reason I know the Platinum Edition was a Mexico build was the lack of a KTP sticker so I asked.

Truth is I don't know a danged thing on the devolution Hemi other than most of them are driven by macho arrogant hyped up young men who give up the most pitiful face when a big huge humongous 4 door long bed 4x4 smokes their butt!!..Priceless BSEG all around!

Old 04-25-2005, 11:07 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Thanks on the compliments on the list. Have to add the Lightning to it.

The pros get the ZX12 into the 9's. Pretty sure I could manage a high 10 outta her. I've only mustered enough nerve for a 170 MPH blast(indicated) closer to 160 actual.

Always been a Kaw fan. My list of street bikes starts at age 12 with a KZ-400. Had the KZ-650, KZ-750(4cyl) the very first Ninja (900) and countless dirt bikes.

Had the opportunity to see a cutaway Hemi head at SEMA. Won't argue the clientele the HEMI is attracting but I do think its specific output is impressive.

So my son is driving the Lightning the other day and sees a 1/2 ton HEMI weaving in and out of traffic behind him. The guy ends up next to him at a stop light. My kid seems to think the Dodge boy is annoyed at the plates on the L. After eyeballing my boy, my kid rolls down the window and had to be a smartaleck. My son says, "Geez, with all that noise you'd think you would've been waaaay ahead by now." Dodge boy sneers and says,"On the green"...............It was over before it even started!!! The Dodge boy wouldn't even look over at the next light.

Of course the SS Camaro had his way with the L a week or so back..........time for pulleys!!!

Quick Reply: 05 V10 vs 05 HEMI in 1/4 mile