Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4x4 / transfer-case not engaging?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 02:42 PM
cperdue3
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4x4 / transfer-case not engaging?

I recently purchased a '92 Bronco xlt w/ a 302, and 79k original miles. It's in excellent shape, with the exception of the 4wd not working, when I brought it to the attention of the guy selling it to me - he said that he "rarely ever used 4wd, but last time he tried it - it worked". I bought it anyway, after he deducted $300, and figured it might be some bad electrical connection from sitting up too long.
I've searched this forum, and found a lot of info, but not quite what I need to fix it. Below are some specifics about my Bronco-Problem:

- There is no clicking, or any noise, when I press the 4x4 button.

- I pulled the actuator motor on the transfer case to see if maybe jarring it a bit might help.

- I checked the connections at the actuator motor, and everything looked good.

- I removed the kick-plate at the passenger-side floor to check, what I think is, the controll module. After following one of the write-ups found on FTE, I removed one of the plugs on the bottom of the module, then pressed the little, square, white button - that caused a "constant", "non-blinking" LED. I think the write stated that a "constant" LED meant the module was bad (?).

Thanks in advance for your help!