1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 08:51 AM
kcrickyt
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all!

Ok, 2 part question here and hopefully I can fix the 2 problems without losing whats left of my hair. The first problem is this, I installed a new billet grill in my 2000 F-150(actual grill, not overlay) and now when I hit around 60mph I get a nice high pitched whistling sound and I go faster the pitch goes up and once I slow down it goes away. I did a test that I know wasn't good, but it confirmed that it was the grill causing the noise. I put a piece of cardboard over the front of the grill and hit the highway for a quick trip and NO NOISE. Has anyone else every had a problem like this??? And if so, how do you fix it. Putting the old grill back in won't work because I had to shave off the tabs that hold it in.

Second problem. Went camping this weekend and came back with a bed that has a smash in it from the front of the bed to the front of the wheelwell. I'd rather not turn it in to my insurance and this crunch is a bit more than my autobody repair skills can handle. Someone told me that the sides of the bed are just spot welded on(which it looks like they probably are) and that I can just replace the on side for a lot less than having a body shop do the repair or buying a used bed. Is this true? Do they make replacement sides for a 2000 F-150 and if so, where do I get one and are they a real pain to replace?

Any help with either of these 2 problems would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ricky Thomas

Old 04-18-2005, 09:17 AM
RIDING ROB
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check and see if you have any utility bed dealers in your area. They take alot of trade ins, so you might get a deal on a matching bed.

Old 04-18-2005, 09:23 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
What Riding Rob said. I used to work for a company in Missouri that did utility bodies for trucks and we had a huge stack of regular pickup beds in our yard. Used to sell em to those who came asking...otherwise, we would send em to the crusher about once a month.
Also check some of your local salvage yards. They may have some that aren't dented and you can usually get something like that painted for about $350.

Good luck!