2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CLUNK From Brake when in Park

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 02:48 AM
BLariat
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down CLUNK From Brake when in Park

When my truck is in park and I tap the brake, it makes a "clunk" sound that can actually be felt underneath the center console. This is the weirdest thing I have ever felt and it makes no sense. My initial thought is that my brakes are somehow adding stress to my drivetrain.

What do you guys think? I need to have this checked out soon!

Oh, and it only does it in park.

Old 04-17-2005, 06:39 AM
SuperCrewDude
Senior User
Originally Posted by BLariat
When my truck is in park and I tap the brake, it makes a "clunk" sound that can actually be felt underneath the center console. This is the weirdest thing I have ever felt and it makes no sense. My initial thought is that my brakes are somehow adding stress to my drivetrain.

What do you guys think? I need to have this checked out soon!

Oh, and it only does it in park.
It's the shift interlock. Try shifting out of park without touching the brake. It won't. What you're hearing is when you touch the brake it unlocks the shifter to let you shift out of park. I can't say what the noise level of it is in everyone's vehicle, but mine can be heard and felt too. I got a 2004 Screw.

Old 04-17-2005, 11:14 AM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't sweat it, BLariat, SuperCrewDude is right on the money. You hear it because you are worried about your new truck. Try it in anything else. The feds mandated the interlock many years ago. Some use vacuum and don't make much sound, but all have a lock on the shifter that releases when you touch the brake. A click, or sigh, or thud is normal.
Chris

Old 04-17-2005, 04:09 PM
BLariat
Senior User
Well, I will have had the truck a year on May 1st, and I just noticed this sound and feeling. I always lean on the center console and have never felt anything when I shifted out of park. Its kinda weird...

Old 04-19-2005, 10:11 PM
3fan
Freshman User
I've only had my truck for just a few weeks and already noticed this. I assumed thats what it was, but its nice to confirm it here.

'05 F150 STX

Old 03-11-2007, 11:02 PM
ITDave
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What ended up being the real problem / resolution to this? I have the problem now...

What ended up being the real problem / resolution to this? I have the problem now...

I had to take the console cover off per book instructions and depress the manual override to get it out of park. I would rather fix this my self if it is an easy fix as I cannot really afford to take it to the dealer right now. Please advise.

My brake lights work, however, I have seen that this can still be a fuse or a blown stop lamp circuit when this happens?

Thank you.

Dave Hobley
Dave@Hobley.com
253-486-9818

Old 03-12-2007, 01:06 AM
BLariat
Senior User
SuperCrewDude was correct. There wasn't actually anything wrong with the shifter. What I have noticed is that sometimes it is just louder than others for whatever reason.

Even when you press the brake pedal, you can't get it out of park? I haven't heard that problem yet.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:35 PM
ITDave
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have now, thanks for the info...
I had to press the manual override button under the console to get it out of park to drive it....