1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer Brake Controller (TBC)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 09:57 AM
snakechaser
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer Brake Controller (TBC)

Hooked our trailer to our new 05 F-450 today and noticed there didn't seem to be much for trailer brakes. It has the factory tbc, checked voltages and it has only 2.7 volts at full on setting. Checked it with another truck with aftermarket controller and it reads 10-12 volts at full on postion. Checked with service manger and ford is a little vague on what it should read (at least 1-2 volts). Would hate to have to install aftermarket brake controller just to have trailer brakes. What about it ford gurues ??

Old 04-16-2005, 10:06 AM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
You were checking the VDC at a stop...the Ford Integrated TBC is speed dependent system. Known problem for those who need/want full trailer brakes at a stop. Like to test 5th wheel pin engagement, or to help slide a sliding hitch assy.

But hook that baby up to a good set of trailer brakes (not electric over hydraulic cuz it doesn't support that type) and follow the bias adjusting procedures. I bet after first good tow through town you will find that the Ford system is as good as, and better in some conditions, as the BrakeSmart system.

I like Ford's ITBC better than any other brand I have ever used.