General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

What does it take to keep tresspassers off my property?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 08:19 AM
WildOneCraig
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure how many tresspassers you have or is it just the same bunch?
If it is the same bunch maybe try some common sense, reason and explain why it is so dangerous to be on the property!
Case ei: young buck flying around the neighbourhood, many parents screaming at him which only fuelled the fire!
I called him over and explained about all the young children playing on the quiet street. (common sense )
Made a small friendship bond talked race cars / bikes. Told him where he could drag safely and the rest is history.
moral : catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Old 04-13-2005, 10:27 AM
Aftrmidnite
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by thorseshoeing
If anyone gets hurt on your property they can sue, whether they are tresspassing or not.
I can just see someone taking me to Court and sueing me because they got Poison Ivy while trespassing

Old 04-13-2005, 11:05 AM
e1p1
Fleet Mechanic
Hate to be a spoiler as I fully sympathize, but you'd better talk to a lawyer before trying many of the tricks and "post first, shoot after" ideas. Here in CA and depending on what county you're in, you can only shoot someone if they have entered your home...and woe to you if they fall OUTSIDE after. Booby traps are considered an assault by you, or reckless endangerment by you, even if it's on your property. It's "malice aforethought".

I know the law is different in other states, but that's my point. Know what the law is, an how the courts interpret it.

What is working here for folks fed up with the "protection of the criminal" is gang up suing in small claims court. even though the limit is $5000, that's per claimant. So, you get every person in your family, or at least every person on the property deed to sue each iindividual for 5 G's, it adds up fast. in your casr you'd have to ID the perps and figure out some creative "damages" to your property you could claim. For instance, I could clam trauma to my horses psyche, making them unrideable, and have a friendly trainer claim it would cost thousands to train it out of them.

If none of that appeals to you, how about making old WWII style tank traps, the kind that look like steel crossjacks kids used to play with. That and/or planting thorny blackberry or poison oak/ivy as a border? You can control it witht a tractor and round-up.

Hmmmm....does your local sewage plant have leftover treated sewage? You could offer part of the area as a dumping ground, and put up signs. I don't know too many folks who'd hike through that. Or heck, just dump a few loads of good smelly peat and put up the sewage signs anyway...

Old 04-13-2005, 02:08 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I like the sign : WE SHOOT EVERY THIRD TRESPASSER, THE SECOND JUST CROSSED.
Dono

Old 04-13-2005, 04:17 PM
hoxiii
Postmaster
It'd cost money, but just go for a cattle fence. So long as it is posted as electrified, you have no liability. Just make sure it IS electrified. Once one person gets zapped I bet your problem would come to an end right quick like. And on the trails wide enough for trucks, put in cemented tank traps. Not much is going to make it through an 8' tall structural steel tripod. More obvious than spike strips and i don't think there's anyone stupid enough to rush one. Plus if you use scrap steel it's only about 5-10 cents a pound, or just find a warehouse that's getting torn down to get the I beams out of.

Justin

Old 04-13-2005, 04:25 PM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
FTE is a family oriented website. Now, from what I have read above, I have seen ideas offering ways to cause bodily injury and possible law suits to the owner of the land in question.
1. You cannot set booby traps ... lawsuit.
2. You cannot set up something to intentionally harm someone or their personal property. Another booby trap. Lawsuit.
3 And DUHHH... you cannot shoot anyone unless they are coming after you with a weapon .. and you'd best be able to prove it, 'cause you know you're going to land in jail/court.

I'm hoping that whoever suggested "SHOOT THEM" was being facetious.

Folks .. I'm not speaking for Ken, but I'll say this much .. this thread leans very strongly against the family oriented guidelines and I'm quite sure that Ken doesn't wish for anyone to think that FTE espouses harming someone or damaging personal property in revenge or retaliation. So .. lets keep this train of thought out of the thread from this point forward.

I'd strongly suggest contacting the local police or sheriff's dept and asking them what you can legally do to protect your property from trespassers.

Old 04-13-2005, 05:43 PM
beano
Senior User
well they basicly said the next step is putting a fence up. and after that he said i couldnt do much unless i caught them in the act. which is understandable. but i just dont understand the logic behind ignoring the signs and going around the trees. one would think they would get a clue.

Old 04-13-2005, 07:01 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1) Take the required course for obtaining a security guards "guard card". You will learn how to conduct a proper arrest.

2) Post your property with "NO TRESSPASSING" signs.

3) When they are clearly on your land, arrest them. Turn them over to the police.

End of story.

When they realise you are serious - they won't even try anymore!
GET SERIOUS! It's YOUR land...

Old 04-14-2005, 01:30 PM
Schmids4.9l
Posting Guru
just lay out some bear traps

Old 04-14-2005, 03:48 PM
Ford Truck Man 04
Junior User
Ok,
put up a 3 stand barb or non-barb fence put T-posts about every 8' put a $ .25 sign every other post, on the trails and 10' on each side put 3"-5" wood posts in the ground good and put them 2'-3' and on the trails put a sign that says "NO TRESSPASSING THE LAND YOU WHERE THINKING OF ENTERING IS PRIVATE PROPERTY AND ALL TRESSPASSERS WILL BE SHOOT NO QUESTIONS ASK" after that the kids will just find some where else to play.

Old 04-14-2005, 05:40 PM
Bruker
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know if this has been mentioned or even if it would work in your situation but how about a couple of cow or pig carcass's laid on the paths? When they start to "get ripe" they should keep people away.

Old 04-14-2005, 08:47 PM
Schmids4.9l
Posting Guru
yeah hook up some seriuos juice to that fence. you'll have to put warning signs on it, but when these people touch that bad boy... man o man. when they are on your door step naggin you, just ask them if they can read. just make sure that you put signs up that say your barbed wire/ razored fence is running some high voltage. I'd do this because i can cross barbed wire fences with no problem, just gotta be careful.

Also I dont understand the whole "you cant shoot trespassers on private property" thing.

Old 04-14-2005, 09:37 PM
924x2150
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Plant a line of Osage-orange trees, pack them together closely, and you'll have to put barbed wire around them to protect them for a few years. Osage was the popular border for farmers before barb-wire, it is a nasty tough tree, is almost impossible to saw thru when mature, the sap also gives many people allergic skin reaction also. While you are waiting for that to grow, I suggest planting all the nastiest sticker bushes, thorny plants, and poison ivy you can. It would also be great to get some of those weeds that stick all over your socks, pants and shirt just by walking past them. Make that piece of ground so hard to walk thru, the natural way! I am sure some other members here have a few other good plants to recommend, they should be fast growing, tangle up into great big masses of impenetrable brush. It is also a great way to attract deer,and other game, that like to bed down or hide in thick cover.

Old 04-14-2005, 09:42 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Fordlover55
FTE is a family oriented website. Now, from what I have read above, I have seen ideas offering ways to cause bodily injury and possible law suits to the owner of the land in question.
1. You cannot set booby traps ... lawsuit.
2. You cannot set up something to intentionally harm someone or their personal property. Another booby trap. Lawsuit.
3 And DUHHH... you cannot shoot anyone unless they are coming after you with a weapon .. and you'd best be able to prove it, 'cause you know you're going to land in jail/court.

I'm hoping that whoever suggested "SHOOT THEM" was being facetious.

Folks .. I'm not speaking for Ken, but I'll say this much .. this thread leans very strongly against the family oriented guidelines and I'm quite sure that Ken doesn't wish for anyone to think that FTE espouses harming someone or damaging personal property in revenge or retaliation. So .. lets keep this train of thought out of the thread from this point forward.

I'd strongly suggest contacting the local police or sheriff's dept and asking them what you can legally do to protect your property from trespassers.
*backspace, reprint, caps ON*

Y'all? The man needs a realistic solution. Most of what I'm seeing here can get you arrested for domestic terrorism...

If you did want to go with a landscaping approach -
The cheapest way out is to transplant sprigs of some kind of sticker-bearing vine, such as blackberry, which tends to grow wild.

I still say that policing up your property is best done by first gaining the credentials to do so in your local area. Not sure how to go about it? Next time you see a security guard, ask them what class they had to go to in order to become a guard - it should be all you need. You will then be certified, and your credibility with the police will be substantially better than "Joe Citizen" ranting on the phone.

You can make a citizens arrest stick like glue...

~Wolf

Oh and PS: YES. I am absolutely serious. I took such a course in San Diego California, and found it highly informative. It was a one day affair, and had a test at the end. A certificate was issued. It was taught by a Police officer.
You seriously need to know the ins and outs of what can be done, and what will bury you. GET THE INFO - it isn't difficult at all

Last edited by Greywolf; 04-14-2005 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:53 PM
frty7ford
Elder User
Beano

I would run a Bobwire fence with tee posts on it. Post the fence and trail. Next time they come across detain them while calling the cops. If this is a range and your buisness you could sue them for lost reveanue. Talk to a lawyer and see if this will work. I would even put it in the local paper if it would work. I can't believe I just sugested that. In todays world it seems the only thing people understand is when it hurts thier pocket book. The easiest might be to just put an article in the local paper about the dangerous of stray bullets and that fact that you are having problems with tresspassers on a shooting range. Could be that some people are just not smart enough to figure it out for themself. It might also wake up a few parrents. If it is kids talk to the schools about the problem and see what they sugest.

Quick Reply: What does it take to keep tresspassers off my property?