Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

SRT vs. SVT vs. GM

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 05:56 PM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truth is, gm has a lot of bases covered. anyone buying a mustang, is not buying it for performance. Atleast, I don't think. I think they are buying it because of how they look with the blue oval on the front.

Let's face it, I think if you are saving for a muscle car, you are saving for a vette. 300hp is not impressive at all really and the diesel pushers are loving it with their trucks right now. (no pun intended) just came out that way. with another grand in their truck, they can smoke the majority of the cars out there. 500-800 dollars in a chip makes them another 100-200hp easy!

I am seeing (over at the dieselplace anyway) 14 sec crew cabs. Then the extreme ones are going dowing into the 12's. They get their hauler and sports car in one so to speak.

www.duramaxracing.com (i know it is a gm site) just check out the time sheets of the 7000 pound truck though and compare to the sports cars.

Old 04-08-2005, 06:12 PM
A. Michael Foxtrot
Elder User
Ford needs to bring the FPV(Austraila) over here. GT-P, Typhoon, Falcon etc...

Old 04-08-2005, 07:33 PM
04F250CC60
Senior User
[QUOTE=mootMeddler] Is there a regular production of the Shelby cobra?

Shelby American hand builds 289 FIA's and 427 SC Cobras in their factory in Las Vegas. These are not replicas of the 64-67 Cobras. They are 2005 427 Shelby Cobras. They don't have the racing liniage of the 60's competition cars but look and run just like them.

http://www.shelbyamerican.com

Old 04-08-2005, 07:45 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
They are actually better than the 60's....

Old 04-08-2005, 10:21 PM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by duramaximizer
truth is, gm has a lot of bases covered. anyone buying a mustang, is not buying it for performance. Atleast, I don't think. I think they are buying it because of how they look with the blue oval on the front.

Let's face it, I think if you are saving for a muscle car, you are saving for a vette. 300hp is not impressive at all really and the diesel pushers are loving it with their trucks right now. (no pun intended) just came out that way. with another grand in their truck, they can smoke the majority of the cars out there. 500-800 dollars in a chip makes them another 100-200hp easy!

I am seeing (over at the dieselplace anyway) 14 sec crew cabs. Then the extreme ones are going dowing into the 12's. They get their hauler and sports car in one so to speak.

www.duramaxracing.com (i know it is a gm site) just check out the time
sheets of the 7000 pound truck though and compare to the sports cars.

I couldn't disagree more. Its all about price point, what someone can afford. For instance you can't fault the performance of the Neon SRT-4. I would never own it but that is because I can afford more.

It is all about price vs performance and the big 3 do not compete with each other at there price point. Mustang GT in the 30's, Vette in the 50's and Viper in the 70's. At every price point there is only one car at that point.

None of these are muscle cars IMO. The only 2 cars that even come close are the 300C and the GTO. You could also aad to that the CTS-V and STS-V but there really don't fit becuase of price.

Muscle cars by definition are sedan's with big power. The Mustang is a pony car, both the Vette and the Viper are sports cars.

Old 04-08-2005, 10:45 PM
Ben99GT
Senior User
Originally Posted by duramaximizer

www.duramaxracing.com (i know it is a gm site) just check out the time sheets of the 7000 pound truck though and compare to the sports cars.
People that look at nothing but horsepower don't know cars anyway. I look at the '05 GT and see potential there. They have been running mid 13s bone stock, and with nothing more than exhaust, gear, SCT tune, and a set of 17" MT slicks they have run low 12s. All despite their 300 hp rating. Somehow I don't see a new GTO is doing much better than that, even though it has 400 hp.

Old 04-08-2005, 10:57 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I seen a couple off new Mustangs today on the road. WOW. Makes the GTO look like crap. Ford cant keep up fast enough for the demand off the Mustang. Its the hottest car off the year for any manufacturer. These things willmove too. GMs in the dust again.

Old 04-08-2005, 11:06 PM
Musclecar_Fan
Senior User
I think that Ford is the one in the dust 150Ford. The Mustang that you speak of won't hold a candle to the SRT models that I listed. With the acception of the GC of course. Pull your head out of the sand and look around. Until Ford, Shelby, or Saleen put a decent motor under the hood of this car, Ford will remain right where they are in the dust. Ford has nothing to compete with the performance that Chrysler and GM have to offer. Yes the Mustang looks amazing, but is not a performance car. Its a stylish pony car. Nothing more.

Best as always.

Old 04-08-2005, 11:34 PM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would not think that any car other than an SVT would compete against the SRT or the SS. But considering the base price of a Mustang GT is 25K compared to mid 30's for any SRT other than the SRT-4 Neon I think it compares just fine.

As I said before you get about 1 sec in 1/4 mile times for every 20K invested.

Old 04-09-2005, 02:38 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Ben99GT
People that look at nothing but horsepower don't know cars anyway. I look at the '05 GT and see potential there. They have been running mid 13s bone stock, and with nothing more than exhaust, gear, SCT tune, and a set of 17" MT slicks they have run low 12s. All despite their 300 hp rating. Somehow I don't see a new GTO is doing much better than that, even though it has 400 hp.
I expect a GTO to run similar...
Check this out
http://www.capa.com.au/ls1_packs.htm
Remeber the base enigne on this site is the base Gen III, (300hp, not 400hp) and these are Australian dollars (about Au$1 equals US 0.70c)

It does not cost much at all to be packing well over 500hp without even looking into turbo/supercharging

Old 04-09-2005, 08:02 AM
Ben99GT
Senior User
Originally Posted by Musclecar_Fan
I think that Ford is the one in the dust 150Ford. The Mustang that you speak of won't hold a candle to the SRT models that I listed. With the acception of the GC of course. Pull your head out of the sand and look around. Until Ford, Shelby, or Saleen put a decent motor under the hood of this car, Ford will remain right where they are in the dust. Ford has nothing to compete with the performance that Chrysler and GM have to offer. Yes the Mustang looks amazing, but is not a performance car. Its a stylish pony car. Nothing more.

Best as always.
It's not 150Ford that has his head in the sand.

Ok, let's look at this list of SRTs:

Chrysler:
Sports Car
Viper SRT 10 – High 11’s

- Obviously this is out of the Mustang's league. Still considerably slower than "the" GT (40). We're talking almost a 10 mph difference in 1/4 mile trap speed between the two. GTs have laid down over 560 rwhp bone stock, with SCT software , exhaust, and pulley upgrades available. Viper what?

Sport Compact
SRT - 4 Neon runs 13.8 and with a Stage upgrade low 13's

- Slower than a new Mustang GT. MM&FF ran a bone stock 5 speed Mustang GT to 13.3, Motor Trend got a 13.5. MT got 14s out of the SRT4.

Performance Truck
SRT - 10 RAM - Mid to high 13.8 range

- Similar to an '05 GT. Judging by how these SRT's run in the real world, they aren't impressive at all, not for the money.

Performance Sedan
SRT - 8 300C - 13.2
SRT - 8 Charger (since it will be about 3 hundred lbs lighter than the 300C I would assume it will be a high 12 second car.

- A couple tenths quicker than an '05 GT for $15,000 more. So much for the Mustang not being a "stylish non performance car".

Performance SUV
SRT – 8 Grand Cherokee All wheel drive.
Don’t know what the SRT – 8 will run but we know that the 5.7 hemi runs low 15’s so the SRT – 8 Grand Cherokee should be a low 14 second SUV.

- Not quick as the '05 Mustang GT.

Performance Roadster
Crossfire SRT-6 – 3.2L 330 HP SC V6 – 13.3’s

- Couple of tenths quicker than a '05 Mustang GT for more money.

Every car on the list, save the Viper, is slower than the nearly 3 year old '03 Cobra. The 300C SRT8 gets my respect, as does the Viper. The Grand Cherokee SRT 8 would be a nice grocery getter, but it's going to be upstaged badly by the Adrenaline. Just wait until the Shelby comes out, it's just a tune a pulley swap away from slaughtering $80,000 Vipers.

Ford is in a transition period right now, when SVT get's up and running Mopar will be back to playing catchup AGAIN, don't you worry Mopar fanatics.

Last edited by Ben99GT; 04-09-2005 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-09-2005, 08:07 AM
Ben99GT
Senior User
Originally Posted by BigF350
I expect a GTO to run similar...
Check this out
http://www.capa.com.au/ls1_packs.htm
Remeber the base enigne on this site is the base Gen III, (300hp, not 400hp) and these are Australian dollars (about Au$1 equals US 0.70c)

It does not cost much at all to be packing well over 500hp without even looking into turbo/supercharging
How accurate are those numbers I wonder. I wonder if it's like Saleen who slaps underdrive pulies (2-3 horsepower), a cat back (useless w/o midpipe), a Saleen "powerflash" (which sucks) and a shifter on GT's and claim it gives them 25+ horsepower. Saleen isn't lying, they are just taking advantage of the fact Ford is somewhat conservative with the factory horsepower figures.

Old 04-09-2005, 08:56 AM
Godspeed474
Senior User
Originally Posted by A. Michael Foxtrot
Ford needs to bring the FPV(Austraila) over here. GT-P, Typhoon, Falcon etc...
http://www.fpv.com.au/index.asp?link_id=2.565
yeah look at those cars and trucks that would rape the compition only problem is there in the 60,000.00 dollar range

Old 04-09-2005, 09:27 AM
Musclecar_Fan
Senior User
Ben99GT.

Yes, SVT will get their hands on the Mustang, slap a Supercharger on it, and you will brag about how much better it is than anything Mopar has to offer. Sounds simple, and at a low cost. In other words, a cheap alternative to a company that cannot afford to build a good performance engine. All the power to them. But just remember, you can slap a supercharger and a few mods on a Civic and get it to run good 1/4 mile times.

Mopar on the other hand developes an entire new engine that will be SRT exclusive. (6.1l Hemi) Time consuming, and expensive to develope. And last but not least its an NA motor.

I would love to see Ford develope a powerhouse like the 6.1 for the
Mustang. That would be awsome to say the least. But its not gonna happen any time soon.

So, the "Mopar guys" will be just fine knowing that it takes a supercharged modded out Mustang to beat factory SRTs.

Best as always.

Last edited by Musclecar_Fan; 04-09-2005 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-09-2005, 09:41 AM
SMIGGS
Posting Guru
I guess it's alright for the Dodge boys to brag alittle now since they really have had nothing to brag about in the 80's and until the Viper was released. Knowing SVT's history they will be back. Although I bleed blue, I'm impressed with Dodge these days and their line-up of "Hemi" powered cars. Now if they would only produce it in a 2 door car that actually looks sporty. As for GM, sure, if I had 60-80 thousand dollars to drop on a Vette or Caddie I would, but not many middle class people can justify this when there is a house and college to be paid for. Either than that, what does GM or even Pontiac have to offer in the way of a performance car under 30 grand with the V8 rumble? Not much.

Quick Reply: SRT vs. SVT vs. GM