1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

American Hotrod TV Show

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 05:02 PM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
answer to Sam, yes, I was implying that the 55 is grandfathered so there shouldn't be a question. And to Dick, a lot of states have adopted the NSRA inspection/definitions or a similar one drafted by SEMA that states that in a question like this "the vehicle will be titled as whatever it closest represents or appears to be" and in the states that don't use this def it really does come down to the luck of the draw. I worked for NSRA for a number of years and experience showed us that most legislators like the "grey area" because it didn't require them to try to legislate every possible scenario. (That is not an official policy in any state) but where ever we worked with them they were relieved to find that we had a workable alternative. NSRA, SEMA and SRMA are all united in this, if it's a big problem anywhere just contact your NSRA rep or a local SEMA rep. sorry to be longwinded but I hope this answers someones questions. FF56

Last edited by fatfenders56; 04-07-2005 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:04 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In CA it could only be listed if you were lucky. They have a raffle for 200 vehicles a year that are not on original frames. If they are, as you pointed out, a vehicle that is all new but is a copy of a vintage vehicle, then the smog laws will be enforced for the year the vehicle is impersonating. Clear as mud?? Jag

Old 04-07-2005, 05:33 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
You guys are making more difficult than it is. If I purchase a 50 something truck and pink and registration show 50 something truck. DMV will register the truck as a 50 something truck. When I purchased mine, DMV did not require a smog, nor did they look under the hood or check a frame etc. I paid the sales tax and registration, that was it. After a year laps, I still am not required to smog the truck, even if I put a new 5.0 in the truck. It's exempt from smog checks. The newer cars requiring a smog check are the ones where the inspections are required, not only do California residence have a 2 year smog check, but now we have to deal with "smog only" station, where you have to go to a place with a sign that states, "smog only" See what you other states get to look forward to.

Old 04-07-2005, 06:00 PM
Madathlon
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The thing about the Smog law in Non smog Trucks is that the state must Know and see that there a newer enging than stated on the reg.. IE that I stck a 2000 LT1 Vett eng in my 65 C10.. Sence 99.995% of the time there not going to look at what I have I will never be bothered.. But if I got Busted for lets saysStreet racing and they found that LT1 in there.. Than Im in for a world of hurt.. And I would have to pass a smog check for that 2000 Engine...

Old 04-07-2005, 06:39 PM
six7seta
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
see thats what i like about texas... it depends on the VIN#, when i was working on my 65 fairlane i bought a 78 lincon mark III to use the frame, suspension, trans and rear end (basicly the whole car with the fairlane body one it) and i could actually pick which VIN# i wanted to use... of course i went with the fairlane to avoid all of that.

Old 04-07-2005, 09:32 PM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
The vehicle would be a 2005 in Minnesota.

Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
OK so I buy a new mandral bent chassis made like a 55 F100 with a MII and a Currie 9" with 4 Bar, I mount a Fiberglass cab and flip front I get a Bed kit from Bert's Beds R Us. I put in a totally remanufactured Y-Block (only the block casting is original).
I try to register this vehicle in Anystate USA. WHAT YEAR IS IT?

Old 04-07-2005, 09:38 PM
innecity4wheelin
Senior User
i dont know much about the title per emissions stuff since we dont have it here anymore, but i know that when i bought a car on auction and a lot of other people i know bought a car on bill of sale, they had to apply for a new title. i was told once that if i didnt have a title i could pay court fees and take it before them and hope no one contests it. another bad thing is to make sure there are no old leins, you could spend some time trying to get them removed. my father up in northern mn was telling me that after 7 years the statute of limitations runs out and stolen or not a new title can be applied for.. just a few of my thoughts on it. either way i found it to be a run around and when you think you have the system figured out, someone changed the rules, its like trying to beat them at their own game and hoping you win i guess.

Old 04-07-2005, 09:55 PM
Madathlon
Posting Guru
The worse thing I seen involved in Titles here in Ca.. Is that if someone dont non op a car/truck Or forgets to renew the non op.. The fees can be monsteris.. My bother bought a cars for $500 and found out thats there $4500 in fees on it... He cant even get a title to dump it intill he pays the fees..

Old 04-07-2005, 10:04 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Madathlon
The worse thing I seen involved in Titles here in Ca.. Is that if someone dont non op a car/truck Or forgets to renew the non op.. The fees can be monsteris.. My bother bought a cars for $500 and found out thats there $4500 in fees on it... He cant even get a title to dump it intill he pays the fees..
Iowa does that one too. I bought a truck that hadn't been tagged for over ten years. They said they just assume the vehicle was operated on the highways for all those years illegally and you didn't get caught, so you owe the money. (preposterous of course). So you take the title to Illinois, lay down $75 and get your tags no questions asked. Then you immediately drive back across the river and tag it in Iowa for $35 with your clean IL title. Most bureacracies can be defeated somehow.

Old 04-07-2005, 10:08 PM
Madathlon
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fatfenders
Iowa does that one too. I bought a truck that hadn't been tagged for over ten years. They said they just assume the vehicle was operated on the highways for all those years illegally and you didn't get caught, so you owe the money. (preposterous of course). So you take the title to Illinois, lay down $75 and get your tags no questions asked. Then you immediately drive back across the river and tag it in Iowa for $35 with your clean IL title. Most bureacracies can be defeated somehow.
Not here.. My dad left for Mass in 1969. ( I was born 1970 in Mass ) And when he came back He couldnt get his lic intill he returned the plates or paid in full all the fees up to date thats was in 1999 and it was well over $50,000.. No joke.. We have the bill on the wall at the shop... He still drivin on his Mass Lic..

Old 04-07-2005, 10:20 PM
innecity4wheelin
Senior User
here if a car isnt licensed for a few years you can sign saying it wasnt operated for that amount of time n get off. or if you buy a car you have to go out side and "have them sign" a piece of paper saying it wasnt.

Old 04-07-2005, 10:37 PM
Madathlon
Posting Guru
Thats why I bought a non smog truck out here.. Im so sick of dealing with the DVM/RMV out here.. I still cant forget when I came here.. They wanted $300 for some impact fee for my Car.. And it was Smog excempt in mass.. I had to have it smog ( Oh fun) And then when they found out the Engine wasnt stock ( 86 Cutles with a 502 in it ) I couldnt even get it Title or reg here.. I ended up Keep it reg in mass and just go home once a year so I can say I dont live in this state..

Old 04-08-2005, 12:33 AM
Madathlon
Posting Guru
Here the Story in the OC Reg
Saturday, April 2, 2005

Car builder to admit DMV fraud
Boyd Coddington, of La Habra and Discovery Channel, allegedly turned in fake hot-rod titles.

By ANDREW GALVIN
The Orange County Register

Boyd Coddington, a La Habra builder of custom cars and star of the Discovery Channel's "American Hot Rod" show, is expected next week to plead guilty to a misdemeanor charge of submitting counterfeit vehicle titles to the state Department of Motor Vehicles.

The allegations against Coddington present a window on a "systemic problem with title fraud" within the hot-rod industry that has cost California hundreds of millions of dollars in registration fees, said Robert Morgester, a deputy state attorney general who is prosecuting the case.

After having investigated for four years, Morgester estimates that 70,000 custom-built cars are registered in California based on fraudulent out-of-state titles.

These phony titles misidentify or undervalue the vehicles - stating, for example, that the cars are much older than they actually are, allowing owners to avoid registration fees and smog restrictions.

Some hot-rod enthusiasts have disputed Morgester's findings, saying that only a small percentage of hot rods carry illegal titles.

However, Coddington's attorney, Chris Wing, said Morgester's estimate of 70,000 illegally registered vehicles is "probably conservative."

Wing will appear Wednesday in Sacramento County Superior Court, where he is expected to plead guilty on Coddington's behalf to a single count of making a false statement to the DMV.

Under a plea agreement with prosecutors, Coddington will likely be ordered to pay $3,000 in restitution and perform 160 hours of community service.

Coddington didn't return a call seeking comment.

According to court papers filed by Morgester, Coddington obtained three counterfeit Pennsylvania and New York titles for 1930s-era Ford automobiles, then presented the titles to Cherrie Fowler, a DMV-licensed verifier. Fowler then submitted the fake titles to the DMV's Placentia office, the papers say. The DMV issued legitimate California titles based on the phony out-of-state titles.

The California titles were assigned to brand-new, Coddington-built vehicles that were stylized replicas of 1930s-era Fords. Coddington used the titles to sell the vehicles or award them to contest winners, the papers say.

As part of his community service, Coddington is expected to help educate the hot-rod community about the problem of illegally registered vehicles.

"What Boyd wants to do is he wants to explain to everybody in the business, because he's kind of a high-profile guy, how you can do this legally," Wing said.

Morgester called for the DMV to offer an amnesty period in which owners of illegally registered vehicles could rectify the situation without facing criminal charges.

Morgester also said that the DMV needs to change its titling procedures so that it can better catch phony out-of-state titles.

Bill Branch, a DMV spokesman, said his agency has "tightened the process to identify vehicles using 'titling mills' or out-of-state registration."

Vehicles last registered in certain states must now have their VIN numbers verified by the California Highway Patrol, Branch said.

Old 04-08-2005, 12:48 AM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Looks like we might be seeing old Boyd picking weeds and papers on the side of the freeway with Cal Trans. LOL... Kinda makes you wonder what other shady business he's up to.? Thanks for the article..

Old 04-08-2005, 01:07 AM
edsf100
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hear many stories about Boyd at local cruise nights near his shop.

Quick Reply: American Hotrod TV Show