1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

mustang tank install- note!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 07:59 PM
55forder
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mustang tank install- note!

Well, I used the tech article for finally installing my gas tank in the rear of my truck under the bed. I welded the box together, grinded out the crossmember, only to find that the tech article was made AFTER the author had installed a 4-link style rear end. Im still using my springs.
I found out at the end of the day that the tank will NOT fit under my frame with the spring hangers installed. The only way to do it is to remove them, or grind out three of the four bolts attaching the spring hanger to the frame. I dont think that its a good idea, so it looks like Im going to have to find another way to mount my tank.

I was going to get my truck together and drive it down to my friends shop to have him install the fatbar 4-link rear end, but I cant do that without a gas tank- what a snag!

Any ideas?

Rich

Old 04-04-2005, 08:07 PM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boat can in the bed, 10' of hosee, and 5 gallons of gas should get you there.

Old 04-04-2005, 08:46 PM
huronfarmer
Senior User
sounds like a plan to me chris....but then again, we're from minnesota
Darrell

Old 04-04-2005, 08:46 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 717 Likes on 257 Posts
huh ??? ;I don't understand

Rich,

I thought the stock springs were outside the frame rail ?? is yours still stock ???

I'm running ladder bars and coilovers and had no problem... where is your interference...

john

Old 04-04-2005, 09:15 PM
LEckart
Posting Guru
I only had to trim about 3/8" from the lower frame on both sides. No problem with the spring hangers. This is on a 56 and as far as I know the springs are in the original location. Check my gallery. Larry

Old 04-04-2005, 11:29 PM
55forder
Elder User
There are 4 rivets that hold my spring hangers on the frame rail. The two arrows point to where the rivets go through the crossmember, and attach to the front of the rear spring hanger. If I were to remove those rivets, there would only be the two rear rivets holding my hangers on. Would I have to grind them off, and replace the upper one with a bolt?
Im concerned with strength is why I ask.

Last edited by 55forder; 04-04-2005 at 11:34 PM.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:57 AM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Perhaps you purchased a different tank than I did but all I did was notch the crossmember at each frame rail, not remove it. I welded in a small "L" shape (turned upside down) where I notched it. I used the 69 Mustang 20 gal tank.

Old 04-05-2005, 01:40 PM
55forder
Elder User
Im using a 16 gallon tank. I purchased the tank a long time ago, as I knew I was going to be doing this install. I noticed that the 16 gallon is wider than the 20-22 gallon. I then returned to the tech article (without reading) and installed L brackets- Basically I skipped to where I left off not noticing that there were updates made to the article. Im going to trim my crossmember, and frame rail, and try and get this darned thing in. Ill post pics of my progress/regress.

Rich

Old 04-05-2005, 02:05 PM
rcflyr
Freshman User
There are 4 rivets that hold my spring hangers on the frame rail. The two arrows point to where the rivets go through the crossmember, and attach to the front of the rear spring hanger. If I were to remove those rivets, there would only be the two rear rivets holding my hangers on. Would I have to grind them off, and replace the upper one with a bolt?
Im concerned with strength is why I ask.
That is what I did with mine. I removed the rivets and replaced with grade 8 bolts. I'm in the process of putting the 22 gallon tank in mine. Without the crossmember reinstalled farther back, the frame is visibly weaker. I've reinstalled the crossmember in the very back and it seems just as strong as before.

If you were really worried about strength, you could box that section of the frame to keep it from twisting under the load of the spring.

Old 04-05-2005, 04:27 PM
55forder
Elder User
well,
I finally got that effin' tank installed. I just started from scratch, and plowed my way through. I had to trim the frame edges with a cutoff wheel, and it took a while, but its sturdy, and its gonna work. I did have to toss the nifty frame I made, because it just wasnt going to fit without removing the crossmember, but it fits perfectly smooth in between the rails.

"Trials of a first time builder" But I did it!

Rich