Discusted '05 F-350 Super Duty owner.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 08:44 AM
4wd
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Discusted '05 F-350 Super Duty owner.

I took delivery of my new '05 F-350 V-10 6-spd in Dec of 04. I have now 3500 miles on it, and have complained to both the selling dealership service department and Ford Company, and now here. These two items are really major problems.

#1--Any 6 speed truck should be sold with a right leg knee pad included for protection from shift lever injury. Every time you shift to Reverse or Granny low you bang your right knee after passing thru the shift detent.

#2--Throttle lag (and this is a biggie!) From starting off from a standing stop, it is necessary to rev the motor 1500 RPM's or more while slipping the clutch to start motion. If you start from idle and try slipping the clutch and toe depressing the throttle it will die off the line due to lack of throttle response to picking up the load from idle. The dealership has been unable to find anything wrong with the electronic accelerator action, and told me I needed to get used to driving a stick shift. This was the wrong thing to say to me. I have been operating a stick shift for 30 years, and previously owned a '99 F-250 V-10 with 5 spd tranny and ran it 92,000 miles and NEVER killed it starting from standing stop. I DO KNOW how to drive a stick. I then called the factory service complaint number and reported my complaints. They said nothing to give me any satisfaction to a satisfactory solution to this flaw. Ford has a real problem with the way their throttles at idle actively respond to engine RPM's as innitial clutch loads are placed upon the engine, and they'd better fix it and quick before someone gets hurt by having the thing die at a green light or stop sign with the person in the rear colliding with the stalled Suuper Duty..

It is bad enough I am seriously looking at getting out of this pick-up and into a chevy or dodge.
Signed
A Very disatisfied S.D. owner

Old 03-31-2005, 12:40 PM
Jossdoit
Junior User
Yeah, that really sucks. Sounds like ergonomics and manual transmissions are not Ford's specialty. Do other owners you talk to with 6 speeds have the same problems? I would start there because if this is how they build all the trucks, you might as well get rid of it because that is the way it is. Did you test drive a truck like yours before you bought it? Did it behave that way then? I guess I don't know what else to say. Good luck getting any action from Ford.

Old 03-31-2005, 01:21 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
V-10 6-spd

Don't know what the solution is there, other than a test drive prior to purchase. What axle ratio is in that thing? Unfortunately, your prior experience with the '99 told you nothing about the way the new truck drives out.

Old 03-31-2005, 01:33 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd go to a dealer and test out some other ones to see if its a problem with yours or with all of em.

Old 03-31-2005, 01:38 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just sat in one we have on the lot and tried it out. I'd have to sit with my legs spread wide apart (no comments, please) before the shifter hits my knee. I don't think any manufacturer can build a vehicle that fits everybody.

I have yet to drive an '05 V10/ 6-speed myself to check out the throttle lag, but I delivered one on Friday with that same setup, and the customer had no problem at all. In fact, I was surprised how little rpms he needed at low speeds to keep it rolling. I'd have to say the problem is with your vehicle, and you should find another dealer to check it out.

Old 03-31-2005, 01:41 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you had any body at the dealership drive it or with you. Then they could see first hand what your problems are. Then go from there. Hopefully another manual guy chip n here with thought. Post this over in the superduty or 6.0 forum if you dont get the response here. Im sure somebody will enlighten you. Sorry and Good Luck

Old 03-31-2005, 02:21 PM
Texascadillac42
Elder User
V10 6spd owner here, I have absolutely no problems with shifter/knee interference, neither does my dad who is considerably bigger than me. I dont use granny low for much of anything because I havent towed with the truck yet, but I know that reverse doesnt interfere with my legs at all, no matter what position I sit in. As for the lack of power off the line, I too feel like the V10 doesnt have the ***** that it should right off the line, however I only have 700 miles on my truck. It just feels to me that the old F150 this truck replaced has more low end grunt. I will give it more time to break the motor in. I would definitely go drive another V10 6spd truck if you can find one to see if the throttle response is the same.

Old 03-31-2005, 02:55 PM
whimsey
Senior User
Are the 2005 V-10's drive by wire like the new 5.4's. If so maybe it needs some "tweaking". What I read is sometimes the drive by wire throttle is not as responsive as the "older" cable throttle versions. Other drive by wire owners have been successful in having the dealer re-program the computer to resond better. Just an idea before you give up on your truck. I can't comment on the shifter hitting your knee in regards to your truck.

Whimsey

Old 03-31-2005, 02:55 PM
FordRuss
Senior User
Jump & Gun

Anyone else notice that he joined today, Posted once & beat feet??

Russ

Old 03-31-2005, 03:07 PM
captchas
must likly has never driven a fly by wire motor . the 99 and 05's are enough worlds apart to make him think other wise. it's him not the truck. i have driven stick for 30 years . so i have several million miles under my six and 43 years with every thing up to twin stick 15 speed macks so what stick is stick man learn the new world.

Old 03-31-2005, 06:14 PM
4wd
Elder User
I'm still here Ford Russ. I had field work to do today after I posted my complaints.

I did not test drive this truck prior to purchase. I Ordered it and took delivery and traded in my '99 SD. Naturally, I thought they did improve the thing, not went backwards.

And Joss I think you are right. Ford really doesn't give a hoot about me

Yes I suggested to the service mgr he tweak the electronics to gain throttle response. He said there was nothing he could do. It is an electronic throttle control, not a cable. And my '02 Buick Le Sabre has an electronic throttle, and it never has been a problem. But it is an automatic transmission too...

As far as captchas, I too have driven a stick for 30 years--also own John Deere farm equipment and International and Kenworth trucks with a road rangers, and international trannys..., hey, I do know how to learn a new technique to shifting, but to sit at 1500RPM's or more and wait to see the green light then burn the clutch, well it SUCKS!!!!!!!!!I have to drive it like granny to insure it starts off the line!

And driving other V-10's on the lot with 6 speeds, havn't done that yet, and why should I? I have a problem with my truck. Do you think they will trade me even up for one that doesn't die and has excellent throttle response? Like I said I had a '''99 F-250 V-10 5-spd I traded in (4.56 posi, 4-wheel drive) for this new '05 F-350 V-10, 6-spd also 4,56 posi 4-WD, Boys I have been there! I Never had any troubles with my '99 with 92,000 miles...and the 5 spd NEVER jamed my right knee to go to reverse or granny low!

Thanks for ALL your comments. Looks like I am the only one in the world with a '05 SD that has throttle lag off stop, and the 6 spd needs to be equipped with a right knee pad to prevent knee injury when shifting to reverse or granny low...By the way, I am 6'3" wt 250 lbs..maybe I am just too big for the pick-up--eh??!

Best regards to you boys! and if anyone knows of an aftermarket fix for this thing please advise!!! I mentally have been moving my right leg in towards the steering collum before shifting to Reverse or Granny low, so I am getting trained in that particular maneuvor.
Sincerely
Mark

Old 03-31-2005, 07:05 PM
anzan
Junior User
Mark, Keep after it and try out some of this advice...these guys mean well and know their stuff just as you do after 30 years grinding gears. Personally, I don't have time to fool around shiftin' gears unless we're talking '46 or '55 year models...

Old 03-31-2005, 08:26 PM
4wd
Elder User
I hear ya Anzan! I never have owned an automatic tranny pick-up. All of em since my first a '65 chev 1/2 ton 292 6 cyl with 4 spd (yes it had a granny low in it too!) have had clutches. Guess I prefere that, but with the way this thing acts, I think an automatic is the only way to go. Too bad. I liked my '99 SD V-10 with 5 spd sooo much!!!! I had a coin or two and wanted to trade up to the 350 and that 3 valve motor, unbeknownst to me the 6 spd gear shift stick was set up like it is and the throttle lagged.

Last edited by 4wd; 03-31-2005 at 08:28 PM. Reason: add wording
Old 03-31-2005, 11:19 PM
Megalodon1
Senior User
Maybe this is the same problem experienced by owners of the 6.0 PSD with 6 speed?
I've heard complaints of that combination with having little low rpm driveability. Your complaint sounds similar, since most of the PSD guys claim that you must rev to 1600 or so RPM to take off from a dead stop without stalling in first gear (not granny low).

Lot's try to blame this on the 6.0's "lack of low rpm torque" in comparision to the 7.3, others say you need to spool the turbo up because of this, but honestly this theory can't hold water really - the 6.0 still makes ALOT more torque at idle than a vortec 350 does, and I've driven one of those with the granny 5 speed and 4.10 gears - you need no throttle for first gear when pulling, and very very little for 2nd gear launches without a trailer and regardless of how much weight your carrying.

If your problem is the norm - Ford NEEDS to address this. I would not own a manual transmission truck that requires as much throttle as an engine with blown head gaskets does just to move itself! And an auto is not an option for me - I like real trucks.

Hope your problem is NOT the norm bud - and good luck with it.

Old 03-31-2005, 11:52 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
I know no one wants to hear this, but as manual transmission market share decreases with each year, and emissions regs tighten up (which is, I suspect, where some of this is coming from), this is going to be harder to adjust. And fewer dollars allocated to development of what is increasingly viewed as a niche market. I have yet to see, much less drive, a V10 6 speed this model year. Have had a fair number of 6.0's come through, though, and haven't heard similiar complaints.