1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Big Susie

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 01:36 AM
F-ONE
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Big Susie

Hello,
Let me tell y'all about Big Susie. I have always loved old vehicles as far back as I can remember. I have owned vintage cars running or not since I was 15. Out of all these vehicles I have never named one. I have always referred to my F-1 as the "50". Big Susie is different. I bought Big Susie because she had lost her home. I made the agreement sight unseen. I was told she would make a good parts truck for my F-1. Worse comes to worse I could use the parts I need and scrap the rest I was told. $200.00 later big Susie is mine. The first time I saw this truck i was amazed. It has all the parts I need. The cab is perfect mine was good but this truck is perfect. The seat is nearly mint and original. the radio cover and speker grille are minty. The gauges,perfect. Doors all the glass except the passenger wind wing are near perfect. The flathead still has the factory plug wires. I will never use these parts on my 50 F-1 because Big Susie is special. Big Susie is a 1950 Ford F-7 American 500 gpm front mount fire engine with 12,619 original miles. Painted on the doors,Susan Moore Fire Department Engine One.
The floats are stuck and it poors gas out of the carburator but it turns over well. I think it wont need much . i cant wait to fire that big Lincoln flathead up. I am a captain in the local fire department and I have talked with the chief about Big Susie being used as a public relations vehicle and as a reserve pumper. Her duties would include visitng children at churches and schools, fire prevention programs, parades,making neighborhood visits on the weekends with volunteers and off duty personell and backing up her younger sisters on major fires. That F-7 has a long way to go before she is ready. I'll haft to get her running and driving first. The department is not in the restoration business nor should it be but the benifts this truck could provide,seeing our people in happy times not just bad is worth IMHO a set of tires, a brake job and a coat of paint.
I hope to have my gallery up soon so Y'all can take a look at my 50 and Big Susie.
sorry for the length
F-One

Old 03-27-2005, 07:21 AM
g84t8f1
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a great truck.would like to see it.

ART

Old 03-27-2005, 09:06 AM
Gear Up
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds awsome. I've always had a soft spot for Fire trucks. Good luck with bringing it back to life.

Gear Up

Old 03-27-2005, 11:00 AM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Let us know when you get the gallery going. I'd like to see Big Susie too.

Old 03-27-2005, 04:04 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've heard these trucks are out there, but never see many. A short while back Ebay had a brand new NOS Flathead block listed. The listing said that it had been stored in a fire station back room. Good luck on your project hope to see some pictures soon.

Old 03-28-2005, 08:44 AM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you go guy!!My dad had a 1915 solid tire Mack and it was an invaluable public relations tool as well as fun to drive. Go for it!!!