Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

A conundrum for you

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 07:06 PM
NickFordMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well guys, I may not have kids, but I'm the oldest of three, and yeah some argueing happened, but it was, and still is when we all pile in there, very roomy, and no argueing anymore. All I can say is great job on the deal Polar, you know how expensive these machines are these days.
As for having kids, doesnt matter how many I have, a minvan will never be sitting in my driveway.

Old 04-06-2005, 07:50 PM
mootMeddler
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally I think gas mileage is a huge issue. Thats why I'm saving up for a VW Jetta TDi and borrow a truck if ever needed. Because I certainly don't need that horrible mileage 100% of the time. We have an old Ford lying around if a truck is needed so I'm not gonna plunk my hard earned down on a new 5.4. The hemi IS over-rated though, don't really understand why anyone would want one.

Old 04-06-2005, 07:50 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Well- the whole experience proved two things 1) It pays to buy something right, in case you change your mind somewhere down the road and 2) a great deal on something you don't like really isn't that great a deal. At least I didn't get wounded to badly on the Caravan , and I flat stole the Expy (bought it the same way, but didn't have to go to the wilds of Vancouver Island to find it).

Old 04-06-2005, 09:32 PM
NickFordMan
Posting Guru
I'm glad you came out of battle almost injury free, lol. Gas mileage really isnt an issue with the old '96 7.3. Even with the 4:10's, the manual tranny, and driving habits that allow the floor to breathe, we can get awesome mileage out of it. Unless your standards are 25 mpg or higher, than it's a none issue, at least for me. The 6L is a different story, from I what I here, but it cant be that bad if properly broken in.

Speaking of the Jetta,(since this thread is already gone in a new direction) I think the new styling is horrible. Am I the only one? It's a nice car, and the old one got 60mpg which is great, but just the new styling on the new one would turn me off of wanting one.

Old 04-06-2005, 10:20 PM
Argo
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The only way to get whatt you want and know if it's right for you is to test drive the truck before you commit. If you don't like it, don't buy it. However, if you drive a truck that feels like a dog, and it's a 4x4 with big tires and 2.73 gears, that might be why. I don't care how powerful an engine is, it'll be a dog without the right gears. Just like a mild and relatively gutless engine will feel potent with the right gears. The best thing to do is learn as much as you can about the truck, and don't settle for one without the right mechanicals (gears, trans, engine) for you. We all have favorites, but to be frank, you can get the "right" truck from any manufacturer if optioned correctly. Unless you like your trucks boxy, with vent windows, a firm ride, and inline sixes. Then, the only option is the used market, or don't let your old one die (like me!).

Old 04-06-2005, 10:28 PM
pfogle
Lead Driver
I can tell you from experience that the 4.6 is no dog. We have an '02 E150 cargo that is loaded with carpentry tools, then it gets a 16 foot box trailer loaded with mantles and tub skirts (all made from 3/4 MDF and/or solid hard wood) whole rig weighs around 8k pounds loaded, and still will walk away from traffic if you need it to. We couldn't be happier with the 4.6, it does good on gas too.. Dad said the last trip without a trailer got him almost 18mpg.

Old 04-07-2005, 12:01 AM
polarbear
Post Fiend
pfogle- I'm a sold believer in the 4.6. Father-In-law has it in his F150, and it's put down over 150K trouble-free miles. Gets decent gas mileage, and pedals down the interstate at 75-80mph all day long. He's getting ready for a new one, and thinks the same motor will do just fine. I'm inclined to agree with him. If you think about it, what else do you need? Now want...that's another issue.

NickFordMan- that new Jetta could almost be a new thread. Don't like the new style either, but the Tdi is impressive.

Old 04-07-2005, 01:28 AM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
I wish my 4.6 got 18 mpg...

Old 04-07-2005, 02:04 AM
NickFordMan
Posting Guru
It can, but driving like grandpa all day long isnt really the way we enthusiasts like to do it, now isnt it?
The TDI is very impressive.

Old 04-09-2005, 12:18 PM
JohnnyBoy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Argo
The only way to get whatt you want and know if it's right for you is to test drive the truck before you commit. If you don't like it, don't buy it. However, if you drive a truck that feels like a dog, and it's a 4x4 with big tires and 2.73 gears, that might be why. I don't care how powerful an engine is, it'll be a dog without the right gears. Just like a mild and relatively gutless engine will feel potent with the right gears. The best thing to do is learn as much as you can about the truck, and don't settle for one without the right mechanicals (gears, trans, engine) for you. We all have favorites, but to be frank, you can get the "right" truck from any manufacturer if optioned correctly. Unless you like your trucks boxy, with vent windows, a firm ride, and inline sixes. Then, the only option is the used market, or don't let your old one die (like me!).
the truck I drive now has the gearing problem, not the one I want. The current truck is the one with the awsome acceleration that I cannot understand. I dod the power to weight ratios, and my chevy is about 18.5 lbs to the HP and the Ford is 19.5 lbs to the HP. I guess I'll have to sacrifice in the power areas to get a good looking and tough truck. Oh well, it's like dating a supermodel, if you want the looks, you gotta put up with the girl!

Old 04-09-2005, 11:43 PM
Argo
Posting Guru
Get the new truck with a trailer towing or heavy duty package that includes deeper gears (3.55:1 to 3.73:1) and I sincerely doubt that you will be dissapointed. The 4.3L Chevy is a strong engine in a small truck, espcially when combined with a good set of gears. That's why it feels so good. Gear your 5.4L Triton correctly and it'll kick you in the pants when you want it. HP to weight is a good factor to consider, but it also doesn't tell the whole story.

Old 04-10-2005, 09:58 AM
osbornk
Postmaster
I agree with ARGO. I have a 5.4 with 3.73 gears and plenty of "git up and go" and pulls my camper without much effort.

Old 04-10-2005, 11:26 AM
JohnnyBoy
Senior User
What I am trying to figure out, and thanks all for the info, by the way, is that with the 4.6(cant really afford a 5.4) the 3.55 better for acceleration and performance over the 3.73 (ls or not)? or the 3.55 better for economy over the 3.73 (ls or not)? Just trying to weigh my options. I am not to sure about these gear ratios and such.

Old 04-10-2005, 05:32 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
3.55 is highway gears. The 3.73 is a nice compromise for towing and mileage. Use to be stuck with 4.11s.

Old 04-10-2005, 10:50 PM
Argo
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoy
What I am trying to figure out, and thanks all for the info, by the way, is that with the 4.6(cant really afford a 5.4) the 3.55 better for acceleration and performance over the 3.73 (ls or not)? or the 3.55 better for economy over the 3.73 (ls or not)? Just trying to weigh my options. I am not to sure about these gear ratios and such.
If you are getting the 4.6, I'd recommend that you go with the deepest set of gears available from the factory. The 4.6 has a strong mid range and upper RPM powerband,but might feel soggy down low without a deep set of gears. Go with 3.73 or (if available) 4.10 gears. That'll make it run strong. I like the 4.6L in a car, but personally, in a truck, I would like more low end grunt (was the fact I have a 300ci. six a clue?), but 3.73-4.10 gears will make up for that quite nicely, especially with a 5 speed (are they even available anymore?).

As far as gear ratios go, the bigger the number, the more torque multiplication, and the lower the speed. For example, a 2.73:1 ratio would multiply 100 ft. lbs. of torque into 273 ft. lbs.of torque, but only turn the axle once for every 2.73 revolutions of the driveshaft. A 4.10:1 ratio would multiply the same 100 ft.lbs. of torque into 410 ft. lbs. of torque, but would only turn the axle once for every 4.1 revolutions of the driveshaft. Thus, the engine feels more powerful, but must also spin a higher RPM for any given speed traveled. This is why high (numerically low) gear ratios like 2.73:1 give soggy acceleration but good gas mileage and top speed on the highway, but low (numerically high) gear ratios like 4.10:1 give strong acceleration, but lower top speed and more fuel consumptionon the highway.

Last edited by Argo; 04-10-2005 at 10:58 PM.