Newbie with questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 03:55 PM
norcalbmxer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie with questions

Just purchased a 97 PSD Crewcab f350

Runs great, except for when it is a little cold.

Only had it for about 3 days, but each morning when it is a bit cold, it doesnt want to start right away.
It only gets to the low 30's here, but the truck doesnt want to start on the first few cranks...

batterys seem to be fine, as it cranks nice and fast, it just takes about 3-4 attempts before it will start, run's fine after that.....and doesnt do it in the middle of the day, or at night...

purchased it in the city, which is about 10-15 degrees warmer then my house in the morning. Never did it when i was test driving it...

I did notice a small cloud of white smoke this morning on my first attempt to start it.....the cloud was small enough, it pretty much disapaited once it got past the front of the truck.....

can you experts give me any ideas to start with?

Old 03-19-2005, 04:48 PM
Ed Willmott
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Plug it in!

I don't know if 97 has a factory block heater but it is what you need.

Chances are your glowplug relay or glowpugs are bad. (or both)

Use the search engine here on FTE and you will find all the info you need!

Old 03-19-2005, 05:13 PM
norcalbmxer
New User
Wheres a good place to purchase both the glowplugs, and the relays online?

Old 03-19-2005, 06:55 PM
Ed Willmott
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try eBay. I have not looked at the relay but I know the glowplugs are there!

Old 03-19-2005, 09:35 PM
Medic 66
Posting Guru
I had a similar problem with the hard starting the first thing in the morning and the white smoke and I also had an assoicated "jreking" sensation around 40-45mph. Turned out to be 2 completely non functioning injectors. $1000.00 bill for that one. But still love my truck.--Medic 66

Old 03-20-2005, 08:20 AM
Freshman User
Try cycling your glow plugs twice. When the wait to start light goes off, turn key off and then back on and wait till the light goes off again. It makes a big differance on mine when I do it after it has been sitting out and not plugged in. I always get a cloud of white smoke when I first start mine when the truck is cold, and always have since it was brand new.

Old 03-20-2005, 10:11 AM
norcalbmxer
New User
Originally Posted by 509220
Try cycling your glow plugs twice. When the wait to start light goes off, turn key off and then back on and wait till the light goes off again. It makes a big differance on mine when I do it after it has been sitting out and not plugged in. I always get a cloud of white smoke when I first start mine when the truck is cold, and always have since it was brand new.
Great idea, i will try this morning! Thanks!

Old 03-20-2005, 02:00 PM
mjwhip2
Elder User
There is no real need to turn key off then on again. The glowplugs will stay on for about 1-2 minutes after the WTS light goes out. When it cold out I'll wait about 30 seconds or so after the light goes out then crank. Usually starts with no problems except on the coldest days.
Good luck and have fun

Old 03-20-2005, 03:14 PM
RickyBR
Senior User
don't worry to much about the small puff of white smoke when it is cold out, that is common for a diesel when the truck has not been running and it is cold.

Old 03-20-2005, 06:59 PM
pdkloste
Senior User
I agree with trying to plug it in. If that solves your problem, you should start looking at the glowplugs. I was also turning the key off and cycling the glow plugs 2 - 3 times.. mjwhip2 has the right idea... the glow plugs continue to heat for a minute or two. Also, I would start using Diesel Kleen or similar additive if you haven't already.

Old 03-20-2005, 09:56 PM
norcalbmxer
New User
tried cylcing the glowplugs, didnt help my situation at all, next time i'll try waiting for them to warm up for a minute or two.

checked under the truck, and it doesnt look like the original owner opted for the nifty block heater......bummer

so im spending my time over at ebay waiting for a deal on plugs and a relay........boooooo!

thanks for all the replies!