1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using trailer brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 07:13 AM
Ed Willmott
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Using trailer brakes

My truck came with trailer brakes -not sure of the brand and I have never used them before so I need a basic primer on what I need to know - I will be picking up a 16ft enclosed trailer soon. (dual axle 7000 GVW, but mostly empty.)

I know about the two dials. How to I determine the best setting? Is it the kind of thing that I have to get out on the road and make some stops to see?

Also, is there anyway to test the system before I drive 3 hours to pick up this trailer? I would hate to get all the way down there and find out something is wrong and be uncomfortable hauling it back.

Thanks!

Old 03-16-2005, 07:26 AM
marspec
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have a Tekonsha you can go to their website and get the instructions.

www.tekonsha.com

Also you can check at the plug to see if voltage is applied to the brake pin when the slide is moved all the way. Must move slide as Tekonsha is proportional and if truck is not moving no voltage is applied. That's usually a two person operation. One to move slide, other to check voltage.

Old 03-16-2005, 07:42 AM
chief83
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have an older brake controller you can have someone step on the brakes (or hold the manual control in the on position) and check the trailer plug with a voltage tester. I would not worry too much about the controller not working even if you don't get a chance to test it prior to picking up your trailer. A 16' trailer, tandem axle that's empty won't significantly impact the braking ability of your truck.

Old 03-16-2005, 08:59 AM
SLE
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree, don't worry about them not working with an emty 16' trailor. Your truck is more than capable of stopping that load without much problem. As for pre-testing the system do as the others have instructed with a multimeter and see if you have anything at the plug. Also if you know anyone with a trailor that is equipted with brakes just go hook it up quick and see, this will tell you for sure. I found out that the factory round plug on my 03' fits my buddies 22' flatbed trailor plug, took off with the trailor one day with all the lights, blinkers, and brake lights working. loaded up a car that I was bringing into town and it happen to get dark in the mean time so when I went to leave I turned on the headlights only to find the trailor brakes locked up, aaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrg, Sure as Shi!!!! the trailor plug was wired up differently than the truck and when the headlights were turned on it engaged the electric brakes on the trailor. Now its dark and I have to unplug the lights to move, this cann't be good. I finally turned the plug a cog or two to the side and stuffed it into the hole and was able to make the taillights and brake lights work but the blinkers would blink on the wrong side, but at least the brakes weren't locked with the headlights on. Morel of the story try every thing before you leave. Also that would've a been quite the awakening had I been runnin 60-70mph down the highway and turned on my headlights, I have a feeling I would've been buying 4 new tires for a trailor that I don't own. Hope you have better luck than myself.

Old 03-16-2005, 09:08 AM
Crash687
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ed Willmott
My truck came with trailer brakes -not sure of the brand and I have never used them before so I need a basic primer on what I need to know - I will be picking up a 16ft enclosed trailer soon. (dual axle 7000 GVW, but mostly empty.)

I know about the two dials. How to I determine the best setting? Is it the kind of thing that I have to get out on the road and make some stops to see?

Also, is there anyway to test the system before I drive 3 hours to pick up this trailer? I would hate to get all the way down there and find out something is wrong and be uncomfortable hauling it back.

Thanks!
go to the manufactrures web site(of the brake controler) for instructions. One of the dials controls the amount of braking and the other is how fast it is applied.(explained in simple terms if I miss somthing please add on)
when conntected, you will adjust the brake controller so that it feels like the trailer is just between pulling and pushing the truck when braking without locking up the trailer wheels. yes this will take a few tries and will change with the load and road conditions.