Idea for yearly get-together

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 11:23 AM
mzimmers
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idea for yearly get-together

Hi, all -

I was thinking about the NorCal chapter meet that we're going to have later this year. This might be the lame idea of the year, but what about scheduling a small golf tournament immediately before or after?

This idea occurred to me because I was thinking of ways to get the chapter more active. I thought back to when my father was involved in the Golden Gate Region of the Porsche Club of America. This was a super-active club, and I think one of the reasons it was so, is because they didn't focus solely on vehicle-oriented activities. They did wine-tastings, dinner parties...lots of fun stuff that wasn't Porsche-centric. And they had a blast.

Golf occurred to me because it should be fun, easy to do that time of year, and suitable for bragging rights and lies that should carry us over until 2006. What would be really cool is if we could use our trucks as the golf carts, but I imagine that might be pushing things a bit.

So...what does anyone think of this...?

Old 03-12-2005, 07:20 PM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
I haven't golfed in 8+ years. I was pretty good at tee off, but I couldn't put for ****. Then again I didn't care either

Old 03-13-2005, 01:53 AM
dad4dds
Senior User
I think doing something other than truck related is a GREAT idea, but I have never golfed in my life. I would be willing to play if it ment getting and keeping our group going.

Lets go with something. Maybe go between a couple of things.

Old 03-13-2005, 05:04 AM
WillyB
Post Fiend
I don't golf - lost my *****. But I would be interested in someplace like the state park at Brannon Island - lots of water to play in for the kids, clean rest rooms and a area for barbeques and related group activities. Camping area for those who want to camp overnight, not more than 2 or 3 hour drive for most of us.

Old 03-13-2005, 01:55 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I still like Tahoe area. there are some places around South of Tahoe where you can camp for free and have group gaterings without problems. Hope Valley comes to mind. Camping, beer, fishing, nice country, beer, BBQ, open area where we could get a cool photo opportunity with all those Ford Trucks, and beer.

Old 03-13-2005, 02:07 PM
mzimmers
Elder User
Tahoe would absolutely rock, but...I think that the powers that be have already decided on our site (somewhere near Sacramento), haven't they...?

Old 03-13-2005, 02:32 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Could always propose it. The Hope Valley area that I was referring to is accessable from Sacramento, within prolly 'bout 1-1/2 hours. Nice drive up Highway 88 through Jackson, or Highway 50 and turn South on Highway 89 just before Tahoe. I could check with The Forest Service out there to do the group gathering with a legal permit. This way we would avoid any problems with Forest Service. There is a large open area next to meadows where we could set up. Lots of dispersed camping around there too. There also are a couple of regular "pay campgrounds" around there too where restrooms are available if some people didn't want to rough it too bad (family and all).
One thing though, we would need to regulate ourselves, and make sure that no one violated any OHV laws. The area is very pristine and has alot of dirt roads to cruise on, but "off highway vehicle" rules would need to be obeyed. I know some of the Forest Service people out there and wouldn't want them to get PO'd at me for someone elses actions. Knowing that Ford Truck people are normally genuine folks, I don't think any FTE members would do anything stupid, but I have to throw that out there to make sure.
If not, Sacramento seems good too. What do ya'll think? Where's that Chapter Leader when you need him?