General Automotive Discussion

Auto Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 08:40 AM
kaised
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto Transmission Problem

This is for a friends 70's Chevy, but maybe the symptoms would apply to other trannys...

What would cause reverse to only work on a level surface, and not on any type of incline? When on a slope, the engine just rev's, reverse will not engage, but it works fine on the flats.

My guess would be not enough tranny fluid? Any other suggestions?

Old 03-11-2005, 09:40 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Pump pickup is thru the filter. I've heard of filters falling off their mount, and then being much more sensitive to fluid level. The filter sits within probably, 1/4" of the pan, so you rarely have a problem like this unless the filter has moved. I'd drain the fluid, and drop the pan to inspect. Have a new gasket, filter and fluid on hand... Don't remove all the pan bolts at once, just loosen, and leave several in on one side, and place the drain pan on the opposite side. Remove bolts on drain side, and the remainder on the opposite will let the pan drop down partway, hopefully into your catch pan... Make sure the pan and gasket surface are as dry as possible when re-assembling. You do not need any sealer if you get a quality gasket.
two cents please.
tom

Old 03-11-2005, 09:47 AM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What transmission? Does 1st or 2nsd show the same problem?