General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

any marines in here?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 01:05 PM
muscletruck7379
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
any marines in here?

i have been getting more and more interested in the marines after talking with a recruiter. I have not taken the asvap yet, but on one of the placement test i scored a 78, which means that i am qualified for about anything except a band. i was just wondering if there was anyone here that was or is enlisted that could give me some kind of view of what i am or could get myself into.

thanx,
matt

Old 03-10-2005, 01:15 PM
Max1775
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I served with 3rd Force Recon out of Camp Lejeune for 90' to 94'. It was a great experience and taught me a lot of great life lessons including discipline, integrity, honor, team work, and so much more that I couldn't even begin to describe. It is not easy though, and I definitely wouldn't recommend it to a married man. I will always be proud to be a Marine and glad I had a chance to serve my country. All I can say is give it a lot of thought before you plunge, Because you have to really want it. Good Luck! Semper FI!

Cpl. Smith USMC

Old 03-10-2005, 06:13 PM
beano
Senior User
go for it. i am glad i went.

vmfa 251

Old 03-10-2005, 09:05 PM
c ball
Senior User
I'm proud to say I was a marine .I was a crew chief and gunner on a C-123 .We flew out of Cherry Point,NC. Cpl.C ball ,VMR-153 MAG-35. 2nd Marine air group ,MCAS Cherry Pt ,NC...Once a marine always a marine... Good luck .

Old 03-10-2005, 11:13 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You gotta know better than to ask THAT-
Unless you want to bring on an entire FORCE RECON mission to enlist you!

I myself was US NAVY! And proud of it right on down to my black issue socks!

I did well, and so will you. If I had it to do over, I'd have listened to my mentor and gone straight US MARINE. The NAVY doesn't do much in terms of firearm teaching unless you're an ORDIE or a GUNNERS MATE....

(Or have a bunch of specops friends)

Can you run? Do you haunt the GYM?

Do you want to find out how you can be more than you ever dreamed you could be???

You may have doubts right now. But I'm going to tell you something straight out that will help you for the rest of your life (however it comes out).

Sometimes we seem to stand in front of a door.
We don't know for sure what is on the other side.
We KNOW that other people have gone through it and done well...
Others have gone in, and washed out...

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THE TRUTH OF YOU IS UNTIL YOU KICK IN THAT DOOR!!!
And walk on through it....

(quietly) Do you doubt your future forever? Or take the chance...

If I had hesitated when I stood where you are - the twenty year career I had might never have happened.

You have the opportunity, son. Not many qualify for it.

"DO IT! Or do not..."

I can't make that choice for you. This is yours to do -

But if you go in there -

You will become a member of the biggest worldwide fraternity/sorority that is imaginable. And you will be respected everywhere you go!

~Greywolf sendzz

WKJ AT1(AW) USN Retd

Last edited by Greywolf; 03-10-2005 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:19 PM
basstardo
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I served from 96-00 and made it to Sgt before my 4 years was up. I loved the Marine Corps, but outside life was calling louder and louder. I miss the Marine Corps still to this day, and I've been out for 5 years. I say go for it, and don't look back. It's not an easy road, but if you make up your mind to make that journey, and be successfull, you'll be just fine. It's 90% mental, and the physical part will come. Semper Fi!

Old 03-10-2005, 11:19 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
PS: Any of you that BS this man here - I'll set the record straight.

Nothing but the truth, can we agree on that?

~Wolf out

Old 03-10-2005, 11:23 PM
basstardo
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Greywolf
PS: Any of you that BS this man here - I'll set the record straight.

Nothing but the truth, can we agree on that?

~Wolf out
I'll second that Greywolf. You've been around here about the same amount of time as me (little longer) and you've ALWAYS been a straight shooter. No need to put BS in this kids mind...it's a serious decision, that in all honesty could mean life or death in the long run.

Old 03-11-2005, 01:10 AM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
VMF112
Dono

Old 03-11-2005, 02:16 AM
kermit
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
kinda off topic, not meaning to hijack your thread, but hi AT1(AW), AT2(AW) here.

Old 03-11-2005, 07:15 AM
snyiper
Senior User
I am not a Marine but do get the Opportunity to work with them on a daily basis. I say opportunity because they are a great group of individuals enlisted and retired alike. You will see no greater form of camaraderie than the corp even though I am a civvy I am accepted and treated like one of the "family" I have formed many bonds and friendships with these marines that are like none other I have had in my life. I work with the Marines with the new Cobra gunship and new Huey and we rely on each other everyday and all I can tell you is "wow"! I have seen some of the nuggets move up in rank as they applied themselves and watched them grow and mature. I may not have ever been a marine but Ill take one watching my back any day!! This is a self made decision but one I think takes careful consideration. This is one group that anyone who can should be a part of.

Glenn
Pax River

Old 03-11-2005, 08:43 AM
triplethreat
Senior User
Originally Posted by muscletruck7379
i have been getting more and more interested in the marines after talking with a recruiter. I have not taken the asvap yet, but on one of the placement test i scored a 78, which means that i am qualified for about anything except a band. i was just wondering if there was anyone here that was or is enlisted that could give me some kind of view of what i am or could get myself into.

thanx,
matt
I'm active duty Career Planner stationed at Cherry Point right now. There are tons of good things about the Marine Corps as well as plenty of bad things. For me at least the good thing like espirit de corps, pride, and loyalty are very important to me. I really don't have any complaints about the pay. But, starting off as a PFC or PVT the pay isn't going to be that great but the higher you go and the longer your in the better it gets. after 11 years I still look forward to going to work everyday.

Dan

Old 03-11-2005, 08:49 AM
quarterhorsemom
Senior User
Well I say if you are married or loking toward it....stay civilian. I know I will need a flameproof suit for saying that but I can tell you it makes married life hell to a great extent.
My husband got out of the marines several years ago and it was the best decision he could have made. I wanted a husband at home and he wanted to be home with his family. He never regretted his time in and was and always will be proud to be a marine. It was just very very stressful.
we just moved from the camp lejeune area and live kinda near cherry point. we have active duty in our lives daily through friendships, church etc. It is hard on a family.
I am proud of you for considering the corps and think you will be a kick butt marine. My husband always said the kewlest thing about marines is you can actually be one....you cant be an army, you cant be a navy, you cant be a airforce or coast guard but you can be a marine. (cute huh?) that was part of his recruiting speech.
You need to use what you really like to do or want to do and check into jobs in that area. If you happen to excel at the Tuba from your post your in trouble ...lol
Just pray about it and really make sure you and your recruiter are on the same page and dont sign anything unless you are 100% sure this is what you want.
Doubt I was much help but I have some insight to share.

Old 03-11-2005, 08:23 PM
c ball
Senior User
Joining any branch now days is serious business. If I were you I'd stay right where you are.. If Bush had any brains he'd pull all the troops out of Irag , Afghanstan and Africa .There's all ready been too many U.S. troops killed ..

Old 03-12-2005, 01:46 AM
FAB150
Senior User
Im still active duty USMC and I went straight out of high school. I dont regret it for a minute. I do think I have missed out on a lot of things with my family and friends but I have been able to take part in many other great things. The worst part is just leaving what you know and are used to. It is a great experience though. You learn alot and make some great friends. And if your like me who never left to far away from the hometown, its a great op to see some new places.

Quick Reply: any marines in here?