2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

300 HP rating is misleading

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 10:27 PM
z06yellow
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by jhromy
oh and ford has NEVER replaced a rear end on these new 04-05 f150s???? i think you need to read this board a little more...what about the vibrations while driving...hear of that one yet??
Yeah.. but it hasn't left anyone stranded on the side of a boat ramp...By the way I do believe some people honestly have a vibration problem but it is not as a significant problem as you would think...Go do research on this site and see how many people complain..I looked through over 200 threads on the vibration issue and could come up with 36 different complainers..I have first hand experience with an 05 F-150 SC 4X4 5.4 3.73 limited slip-drive as smooth as I could expect any truck to drive. My family has an a construction company with 10 new F-150 and I can't find one with a vibration problem..Hell, I ask every person I see with a ford truck if they have a problem and haven't met one yet. By the way if you don't like you truck sell and get a Nissan, I could care less.. I love driving my truck...take care

Old 03-10-2005, 12:34 AM
NickFordMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well said. I havent had a problem with mine either. One of the smoothest trucks Ive owned, but not to mushy like the chitty's suspension. I think people are making up and/or imagining problems before they get on thier computers and whine about it.

Old 03-10-2005, 08:36 AM
mn 6.0
Senior User
Originally Posted by NickFordMan
well said. I havent had a problem with mine either. One of the smoothest trucks Ive owned, but not to mushy like the chitty's suspension. I think people are making up and/or imagining problems before they get on thier computers and whine about it.
I have to chime in on this one. Look up some of my old posts, I lost over $10,000 trading in Fords in less then two years. I did not make anything up. Ford would not stand behind their product. Just to spite them I bought a Dodge (hemi). I would much rather have a Ford if it performed the way it was advertised. I don't now what the horse power is, don't care either. I do know the Dodge tows a lot better than the F-150. With the F-150, I got 8.5 mpg @ 70 mph, could not use over drive. The Dodge gets 11.5 mpg @ 70 mph useing the tow - haul mode. This is with the same trailer. Now you have an honest comparison. By the way, I have had a couple of problems with the Dodge as well. The problems were fixed promply & with no excusess.

Old 03-10-2005, 08:40 AM
KevinM
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
MN 6.0 - What year F150?

Old 03-10-2005, 10:09 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well Mn6o wont probably back for another 3 months. His last post was 3 months ago. Why come back here and irritate people. Sorry for your bad luck but you got a Dodge now. Seems like your not to happy with yourDodge and wish you could buy another 150. Whywould you check back.

Old 03-10-2005, 10:32 AM
NickFordMan
Posting Guru
Haha, yes, that was an honest comparison. soun ds like you got screwed by your dealer, not Ford. 8.5 mpg? I'll believe it when i see it. Mines getting at least 13-14 at that rate.

Old 03-10-2005, 11:04 AM
mn 6.0
Senior User
It was a 2004 Screw Fx4 5.4. Reason for the post - When I bought the Dodge a few people on this site asked me check in once in a while & let them know how the Dodge is treating me, so thats what I'm doing. Not only that, I thought it might be nice for you guys to hear from someone who has actually owned both of the vehicles you are talking about.

Old 03-10-2005, 11:05 AM
mn 6.0
Senior User
Haha, yes, that was an honest comparison. soun ds like you got screwed by your dealer, not Ford. 8.5 mpg? I'll believe it when i see it. Mines getting at least 13-14 at that rate.
Read the post carfully, I said when towing a trailer. As for the dealer, they did all they could for me, I was dealing the Ford rep for the issues I was haveing. The truck was in "limp mode" & ran terrible, the Ford rep told me it was ok to dive it that way, said they were working on a fix & it shouldn't too long before they have one. That's not accepable in my book. All vehilces have problems, what counts is how those problems are solved. Ford dropped the ball on me (more then once). It looks like thay may have figured a few things out since 2004, I don't see quite as many bad things being said. SEE YA! I'M OUT OF HERE BFEORE I GET LINCHED.

Last edited by mn 6.0; 03-10-2005 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:02 PM
J Jones
Junior User
I think some of you took my comments too negatively. I actually love my truck, I just think Ford could make it even better with only a few modifications. By the way, I also had the vibration problem, which was eventually fixed with a new driveshaft. Believe me, I was not just imagining it. If you read all the reviews of full size pick-ups, it seems the number one complaint about the Ford is that it does not feel like 300 hp. Not only would a fifth gear help with accerleration when empty, more importantly, it would help a great deal when pulling heavy loads up an incline.

Old 03-10-2005, 05:21 PM
BigDogJeepin
New User
Have you all forgotten physics class? Horsepower does not measure the "thing" that accelerates you. Torque does. Torque is the force that accelerates you. Horsepower is only your engines capacity for work.

Old 03-10-2005, 08:51 PM
kh1977
New User
Originally Posted by jhromy
oh and ford has NEVER replaced a rear end on these new 04-05 f150s???? i think you need to read this board a little more...what about the vibrations while driving...hear of that one yet??
Although I agree with our friend z06yellow, he is a bit zealous... (rightfully so!) However, all kidding aside. I have worked in construction since I was 14 1/2. Especially as of late I see a barrage of different makes of trucks. One thing is particularly interesting; the large brand name variance comes from the independents that must use their truck for work and personal. The big boys, such as the company I am employed with, are almost completely full bred Ford. The reason is predictable reliability. Our company has experimented with Dodge, Nissan, and Chevy. None came close to the overall toughness of Ford. My uncle manages a fleet that contains 200 full size pickups. They have been "pure bred" for a long time but gave Dodge a try on about 50 trucks. The outcome... great motors and bad everything else.
Point being;
Personal use = Yeah, pick what you like cause they all have kinks when they first come out and they're all under warranty. Overall, any full size make out there today has technology integrated through design to surpass any need the average commuter / weekend warrior may have;
Down and dirty, working it to the bone, beatin' it like a dog = FORD.

Heck, we've got some Ford's that look like they made it through Judgment Day. I don't have a problem hooking up an 18000 lb. gooseneck and hauling as* to the jobsite in any one of them.

Old 03-10-2005, 10:10 PM
z06yellow
New User
Red face

Originally Posted by mn 6.0
I have to chime in on this one. Look up some of my old posts, I lost over $10,000 trading in Fords in less then two years. I did not make anything up. Ford would not stand behind their product. Just to spite them I bought a Dodge (hemi). I would much rather have a Ford if it performed the way it was advertised. I don't now what the horse power is, don't care either. I do know the Dodge tows a lot better than the F-150. With the F-150, I got 8.5 mpg @ 70 mph, could not use over drive. The Dodge gets 11.5 mpg @ 70 mph useing the tow - haul mode. This is with the same trailer. Now you have an honest comparison. By the way, I have had a couple of problems with the Dodge as well. The problems were fixed promply & with no excusess.
Well, mn 6.0 you must have one nice dodge- I'm glad you like it..I like my ford too. That gas mileage for the Dodge sounds about right but is a little low the Ford..If you look at any magazine comparison on Trucks you will see that Dodge has had problems getting mpg results similar to what was on the sticker. My neighbor has a fully loaded laramie 4 X 4 with the hemi and I smoke his gas mileage..By the way he is my brother. He's had it to the dealer 4 four times because he says it is the only vehicle he has ever purchased that would not get what the window sticker said..
It is true that some complain about the Ford, saying it has a lack of power. They do have the lightning if you want to go fast or may I suggest staying away from a SC 4 X 4..Ford Trucks are heavier than the rest and I personally like that since I tow over 6000lbs on a regular basis. There is a lot more to towing than, how fast can I go. Try letting a trailer weighing 6000lb blow a tire-you will see just how quickly you wish you had more weight on your truck. Bill Ford said it best..."We are building a truck that can do everything we state it can do and do it every day without tearing it up." Detroit Auto Show.
Vehicles are not investment-you will lose money everytime.. It does appear you are not a very good negotiator though.

Old 03-10-2005, 10:24 PM
LaxChevyMan
New User
Originally Posted by BigDogJeepin
Have you all forgotten physics class? Horsepower does not measure the "thing" that accelerates you. Torque does. Torque is the force that accelerates you. Horsepower is only your engines capacity for work.
Just a refresher . Horsepower is torque X RPM/5252 and the area under the horsepower curve is what is important in acceleration

Old 03-11-2005, 12:01 AM
NickFordMan
Posting Guru
1 Horsepower unit=742 watts of power. Torque is the turning force behind a motor. You dont go anywhere without torque. Torque is more important then Hp in acceleration as well. My 7.3 diesel only has 225 hp, but has a a nice flat torque curve from about 1400-2900 of 425 ft lbs of torque. I will outpull, out accelrate any gas motor of the same yr. that is rear wheel power.

Old 03-11-2005, 02:28 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I will outpull, out accelrate any gas motor of the same yr.
Come now. That's ridiculous.

Quick Reply: 300 HP rating is misleading