1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'56 lap belts vs. 3 point

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 01:18 PM
azwafree
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'56 lap belts vs. 3 point

I've purchased the old style, buckle type lap belts for installation in my '56 stock-wannabee-like-Kevin's F-100. Of course, I ordered the belts before researching the forums for more information. Usually, I will only refer to available information or directions after I've purchased parts and then often wait until something is broken, misthreaded, etc. before asking or checking around. :-)

It looks like many of you have chosen to go the 3 point system. Can I ask for a few opinions on this topic as it applies to the '53 to '56's?

Any installation tips would be appreciated.

Thanks, Doug

Old 03-08-2005, 02:31 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Az -

All production vehicles went to 3-point belts some time ago because the shoulder belt helps prevent eating the dash or steering wheel in a collision. Of course, proper installation is very important.

There are aftermarket brackets for sale for our trucks to anchor the vertical belt between the door jamb and the cab lateral brace under the window. (See Mid fifty, LMC, etc). But it seems most folks prefer to fab their own from 14 gage or thicker sheet metal. Some even provide for multiple anchor holes to adjust the strap tie-down height, which I thought was slick.

The thread below was pretty instructive regarding installation tips and belt choice. You can find other threads on the topic using the "search" tool on the header at the top of the forum page.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...int+seat+belts

Old 03-11-2005, 07:55 AM
azwafree
Senior User
right direction

I'll learn the tricks on how to navigate through FTE...thanks for directing me on the 3 points. My lap belts arrived and the 60" simply doesn't extend enough to get around me. They work for Diana but she's only 90 lbs!

Thanks Randy Jack!
Originally Posted by Randy Jack
Az -

All production vehicles went to 3-point belts some time ago because the shoulder belt helps prevent eating the dash or steering wheel in a collision. Of course, proper installation is very important.

There are aftermarket brackets for sale for our trucks to anchor the vertical belt between the door jamb and the cab lateral brace under the window. (See Mid fifty, LMC, etc). But it seems most folks prefer to fab their own from 14 gage or thicker sheet metal. Some even provide for multiple anchor holes to adjust the strap tie-down height, which I thought was slick.

The thread below was pretty instructive regarding installation tips and belt choice. You can find other threads on the topic using the "search" tool on the header at the top of the forum page.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...int+seat+belts

Old 03-11-2005, 09:48 AM
SteV8e
Elder User
What you need will depend on the type of driving you do. With 4.86 gears, I don't go real fast. I drive my truck around town in nice weather; I don't take it on the highway and I store it during the Minnesota winters. My judgment tells me that lap belts are adequate for my driving. I want to stay behind the wheel and in front of the pedals, and I don't want my passenger(s) in my lap. Lap belts do that. They need to be anchored solidly through the floor with grade 8 bolts and large diameter grade 8 washers.

You have to decide what is enough. Some people won't feel safe without an airbag or multiple airbags. They think the 3 point belt alone is inadequate.

As kids, we rode in the box of the truck. I haven't seen that in many years, and I don't let my kids ride back there.

Old 03-11-2005, 12:55 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
The manufacturers went to collapsable columns in the 60s because many drivers were dying from being speared thru the chest by the rigid columns. 3 pt belts will help to keep your column as far away from you as possible in the case of an accident. Ask yourself is my life worth the few bucks difference in cost between a lap belt and a 3pt belt? Be sure when installing whatever you use that you back up any mounting points with a 4x4" 3/16" plate under the floor and use nothing less than grade8 7/16" bolts AND nuts (the bolt is only as good as the nut) for all mounts.
The insurance people say that drivers average a property damage accident every three years, and most occur within 3 miles of home. No matter how well or how little you drive, it's not YOU that you are protecting yourself against, it's the other guy that will kill you.

Old 03-11-2005, 01:28 PM
SteV8e
Elder User
Ask yourself if your life is worth driving a vehicle that does not have state of the art safety equipment.

That 3pt belt will hold you in place when that rigid column comes to meet you in your seat. Your panel truck has a stock column. Is your life not worth the cost of a modern steering column?

Old 03-11-2005, 02:46 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
If you are talking about my panel, no it does not have the stock column, steering box or wheel. That was the first thing that came out when I got it home. It also has 3 point belts. (both my daily drivers have 6 point racing harnesses in them and the Miata, being a convertible has a 4 point roll bar as well.)
~25 years ago my wife and I were nearly killed when a moving van type truck pulled out of a cross street in front of us while driving @ 55 MPH. My then fiance was driving and I yanked the wheel at the last moment turning us into the truck's tire rather than driving right underneath it. I am VERY safety concious!

Last edited by AXracer; 03-11-2005 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:24 AM
azwafree
Senior User
The 56 ended up getting lap belts. Although, much better than nothing, not as safe as the 3 point. The big back window doesn't work with a bracket that is out there and I'm just not the fabrication guy that many of you are.
One thing is though that the factory marketed the 56 as safer due to the steeing wheel and column design. hmmmm...

Old 04-09-2005, 03:42 PM
six7seta
Senior User
im actaully going with a 5 point racing belt, just because of the kind of power that my 52F2 puts out. even though i dont have a wife and kids, i like to be around long enough to get to that point.

Old 04-09-2005, 04:24 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
I think my truck is pretty safe, though it could be safer had I planned better up front. I say none of the following to be argumentative, just throwing out some comments that might be worthy of consideration.

1. Lay everything out before you start painting and committing to interior components. Safety is a total package IMO. Handling, braking etc. Ease of use of controls (like the brake pedal) gets overlooked.

2. Seat belt hardware is only as good as what you attach it too. Grade 8 bolt gains you zero when you mount it to a piece of unreinforced floor. Take a good look, there isn't anything solid to mount it to. Mods are needed.

3. Slight offset of steering column and underhood column shaft might lessen it's effectiveness as a chest spear. Don't go crazy mounting your steering column bracket to the dash. This would probably be a good time for the hardware to give up. Hope I never test mine.

4. And never, ever install a bigblock. They're evil. Your truck will be too fast and will be a safety menace to mankind in general.

Old 04-10-2005, 12:13 AM
Purple55
Tuned
Received 58 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by fatfenders
4. And never, ever install a bigblock. They're evil. Your truck will be too fast and will be a safety menace to mankind in general.
You're fishin and I'm not bitin!

Where's John?

Old 04-10-2005, 12:45 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Purple55
You're fishin and I'm not bitin!

Where's John?
Now that you mention it, John's bigblock truck is very safe. Sorry, my bad

Old 04-11-2005, 07:56 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by six7seta
im actaully going with a 5 point racing belt, just because of the kind of power that my 52F2 puts out. even though i dont have a wife and kids, i like to be around long enough to get to that point.
A public service message from a safety concious racer: (not picking on anyone it was just an appropriate moment to post this.)
DON'T put in a racing harness for street use! This advice and warning comes from someone who actually has 5 point harnesses in two street vehicles but never (well ALMOST never, if you catch my drift...) uses them on the street.
First, for good reason there is only one "harness set" that is DOT approved for street use, it is made by Schroth, and is not a true racing harness. The buckle is a standard seatbelt buckle and the shoulder straps have loops that the lap belts pass through before buckling, unlike a harness where the straps lock into the buckle, and it does not have a crotch strap which is critical to keep the buckle from riding up and crushing your diaphram in a crash.
Second, a harness MUST be correctly mounted. The arrangement/location of the mounting points can have serious implications in whether the belts save your life or kill you. One of the factors in the death of Dale Earnhart was that a lap belt failed because of improper mounting location causing unusual stress. The crotch strap for example needs to come thru a hole in properly designed racing seat just in front of the wearer's crotch, not looped over the front of a standard type seat's cushion. The shoulder harness mount must be at a specific height relative to the wearer's shoulder height or it could crush you spine or break your collar bones.
Third, IMHO any upper body restraint other than an OEM type 3 point should not be used without a properly designed and mounted rollbar/cage to keep the roof from collapsing in a rollover. A harness doesn't allow you to move sideways so if the roof collapses you are left to support the vehicle with your head! Even the biggest NFL linebacker's neck and head isn't strong enough to do that!
Forth, it is not safe to drive on the street with a true harness. The straps, if properly tightened, hold your upper body pinned tightly to the seat. It is impossible to turn around to look out the rear window to back up or lean forward to check traffic at an angled intersection for example. You also probably won't be able to reach the dash switches or radio. Loosening the shoulder straps defeat their purpose and is MORE dangerous than no upper body restraint at all. 3 point belts include an inertia reel to allow necessary movement but lock on sudden pressure.

Old 04-11-2005, 09:04 AM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
good post Chuck, couldn't have said it better (or I would have)

Old 04-11-2005, 09:11 AM
six7seta
Senior User
thanks for that information... a few thing i didnt know... the main reason why i was putting them in was for the drag strip... they wont let me race without them. also in texas your allowed to have them in you truck, but you cant use them. there is a roll over bar that will be going in my cab so i will have the proper mounting point.. i guess i will have to rethink this. thanks

Quick Reply: '56 lap belts vs. 3 point