1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

"stuck" fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2001, 07:20 PM
huskeyone
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"stuck" fuel filter

Hello all. I did a minor tune up on my 93E150/351 club wagon, and after much loss of skin/blood when changing the spark plugs(Never was able to get to/change #1!) I finally got to the fuel filter replacement. The last time it was changed was about 25,000 miles ago, and was done at a Ford dealership. Anywho, I was unable to disconnect the line on either end of the filter. I tried to push in, then pull out to no avail. I know on the replacement filter(non-motorcraft) that there are "lips" for lack of a better description, on the line on either side of the filter. After looking at my Haynes manual, it said that there is some kind of tool to disconnect fuel lines? Anyone ever heard of that? Just to change a fuel filter???? I still want to go to the dealership and watch the magician...er I mean mechanic change the #1 Plug!!!!!! Any help much appreciated!!!

Old 07-25-2001, 08:02 PM
ih8jfgrdn
Freshman User
"stuck" fuel filter

There is a little tool that goes over the fuel line and slides up in the connector to disconnect it. I was a little upset when I came upon mine the first time, went to my local auto parts stores and picked one up for a little of nuthing

Old 07-25-2001, 08:24 PM
huskeyone
Freshman User
"stuck" fuel filter

Appreciate the info! I'll go back to "Bobs" and see if they have the tool. Hope I don't end up at the dealership, though!

Old 07-26-2001, 12:38 PM
busdriver1
Senior User
"stuck" fuel filter

I bought my fuel connection seperator tool at NAPA so if your local NAPA doesn't have it they should be able to order it. Be forewarned that even with the tool the couplings can be kind of tricky. Also, if the vehicle is fuel injected make sure you depressurize the system before you remove the filter in order to avoid a gasoline shower.

Old 07-26-2001, 09:11 PM
huskeyone
Freshman User
"stuck" fuel filter

Ahh! So that's what they call it, a "connection separator tool"! Ok, gonna pick one of those babies up tomorrow. The only thing specifically stated in the haynes manual is called a "fuel line coupling disconnect tool", and it's not mentioned in the procedure to change the fuel filter, it refers you to another chapter(fuel and exhaust systems). I am also aware that I will need to disconnect the negative battery cable and disconnect the fuel pump switch or inertia switch to relieve the fuel pressure.
Thanks for the info!!!

Old 07-26-2001, 10:57 PM
kioolt
Senior User
"stuck" fuel filter

Disconnecting the battery will not depressurize the fuel system. I pull the fuel pump relay and then try to start the truck. This will bleed off any pressure in the fuel line.

Old 07-26-2001, 11:27 PM
Motorcraftsman
Senior User
"stuck" fuel filter