Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Need help pronto. Cant remove oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 11:01 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Need help pronto. Cant remove oil filter

Hey guys Im changing my oil in my 2003 PSD and now im trying to remove the oil filter. This thing seems like its welded on. I put my oil filter wrench on the filter and try to turn it off and no such luck. I put all the pressure on the wrench to remove it and it wont remove. I hate to put anymore on or risk putting a hole in the filter. Then Ill be screwed. I bought this truck two months ago and the dealership changed oil and filter then. They must have put it on too tight. They shouldnt remove that hard. My question is this. Im turning the filter counterclockwise looking up friom the bottom off the ground. Is that the right direction to loosen. Any tips or help here are appreciated?

Old 03-07-2005, 11:09 AM
ckal704
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'd start by puncturing the bottom of it and getting the oil out under control. That way if you tear a hole in it the oil won't be everywhere with you lying there with nothing to clean it up.
Once the oil is out, anything goes for taking it off. Put a cheater bar on that filter wrench and try hitting it w/ a rubber mallet or chunk of 2x4. The impact effect may help to break it loose. CCW is the correct direction for loosening.
If you have a strap wrench or a chain wrench, they sometimes grip better than some of the cheesier oil filter wrenches that are out there.
Last ditch effort migh be to drive a long, thick screwdriver right smack through the thing and turn it like a "T" handled tool to break it loose.

Those are both methods I, and others, have used in the past.

Old 03-07-2005, 11:22 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
I hope they arnt to hard to remove like this all the time. Im going to put a rubber strap in between my strap on the filter wrench and the filter that should help. How tight should I put the new one on. The book says one and a half turns after gasket contacts filter. They must of used the filter wrench to put it back on. Any more advice any one.

Old 03-07-2005, 11:45 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
mine was a PITA yesterday whe i went to chance it too. I put a good solid filter wrench on there and threw a 5 foot piece of emt conduit over the end of the handle. I gave it a little push and it came right off no problem. I love using physics to my advantage!!

-Robb

Old 03-07-2005, 11:45 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Im to the point now off bending the filter wrench if I put anymore pressure on it. The engine is cold right now would it help if it was warm. I drained the oil last night and trying to change the filter now. Maybe if I put in the new oil and warm the engine up it would loosen better. Ive never seen on this tight If i get a hole in the filter Ill never get the leverage I have right now. Im afraid Ill be stuck. Anymore help Imdespaerate.

Old 03-07-2005, 11:53 AM
mjwhip2
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ckal704
Last ditch effort migh be to drive a long, thick screwdriver right smack through the thing and turn it like a "T" handled tool to break it loose.
Thats exactly what I've had to do on more than one occasion. At any rate you need to get that old filter off. Maybe a large pair of channel locks might do some good. If there is any oil residue on the filter even a good strap (rubber) wrench will just slip on it. Just make sure you are turning it the right direction.
Mike

Old 03-07-2005, 12:04 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Ill keep working on it guys. Thanks for the tips. How tight should the new one be put on. Hand tighten 2 turns after gasket contacts filter. According to book. Is that right. Looks like they used the filter wrench to tighten. Ill check back here after awhile. If you have any more tips please feel free to post. Thanks.

Old 03-07-2005, 12:09 PM
02superstroker
Posting Guru
I also have had to do the screwdriver-thru-the-side trick more than once. It actually is quite efficient They can be a pain...

good luck.

Old 03-07-2005, 12:17 PM
mjwhip2
Elder User
Originally Posted by 150ford
Ill keep working on it guys. Thanks for the tips. How tight should the new one be put on. Hand tighten 2 turns after gasket contacts filter. According to book. Is that right. Looks like they used the filter wrench to tighten. Ill check back here after awhile. If you have any more tips please feel free to post. Thanks.
I usually go hand tight, then about 1/4 turn with the wrench. If it leaks, I go another 1/4 and so on until no more leaks.
Mike

Old 03-07-2005, 12:30 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
I wouldn't do anything until you get the baddest, meanest filter wrench that will fit properly. I'd punch no holes until I had it at least moving in the right direction. Only when you KNOW you can get it loose would I punch any holes.

Othersise, how are you going to get to the parts house for the industrial-grade filter wrench?

I use Baldwin B7039's and it says on the filter to tighten one full turn additional after gasket contact by hand, and check afterward for leaks.

However, punching the hole after it's loose to drain it, helps a lot in the messyness department.

SpringerPop

Last edited by SpringerPop; 03-07-2005 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:11 PM
Turbo_Whistler
Senior User
Try everything else first before punching a hole in it. I usually just hand tighten my new filters on about as tight as i can get them with just my hands and not using any tools. If you use tools or different devices to put it on and tighten it down becareful not to dent the filter. To get mine off i use a loop strap device thats hooked to a 1/2 inch square tube, just put the 1/2 rachett in there and crank away, strap tightens then the filter starts turning. Don't remember what this tool is called though, got it at local auto parts store though

Old 03-07-2005, 01:33 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Hey turbo I just got one off those wrenches you have with the wratchet end and wrap around strap. No such luck I put extreme pressure on it and it just dents the filter. This thing is on tighter then any thing Ive ever seen. I about ready to call the dealer have them get it off. Hes a hundred miles away. Since they put this on in the first place. Theres no reason to be on that tight. Im mad now. Here Im stuck without a truck due to this stupid filter. Does anybody have any other oil filter wrenches that I can use.

Old 03-07-2005, 01:41 PM
gseeders
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have a new filter then this is what i would do, punch a hole through it and then turn it with whatever you used to make your hole. put new filter on hand tight only. If you use a wrench only go 1/4 turn more then fill with oil. Now go to craftmans, snapon or mac tools and buy a good 2" nylon strap wrench and you will not have any more trouble. I have always put my filters on hand tight and never had any problems. good luck
gseeders

Last edited by gseeders; 03-07-2005 at 01:45 PM. Reason: mi
Old 03-07-2005, 01:44 PM
husker
Hotshot
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
First time I changed mine the strap wrench wouldn't turn it. I got one of the chain wrenches and that did the trick. Just remember that it is lefty loosey to take it off. Now I loosen the filter about a 1/2 turn before I punch the hole in the bottom when changing the filter. That way I know I can get it loose before punching the hole. Also when trying to loosen it, try to get the wrench close to the top of the filter. That way there is less chance the filter body will collapse before it comes loose. I know there isn't a lot of room up there. Good Luck.

Old 03-07-2005, 01:47 PM
polar88
Junior User
I once had a similar problem. The oil on the outside of the filter just made it too slippery to twist. On a lark, I put some 60 grit sandpaper on the inside of the filter wrench. The grit was just enought to cut through the oil and bite into the filter metal. I eventually got it off after a few bad words.

Quick Reply: Need help pronto. Cant remove oil filter