1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

2000 4.6 AT Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 08:37 AM
conekiller
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 4.6 AT Transmission Problem

Here's the problem: When in overdrive (though it seems to do it in other gears as well) when under slightly more load then neccessary to move down the road, ie gentle inclide or gentle acceleartion it will go 'herky jerky" (think of learing to drive a stick shift, but not as severe) as my wife calls it. It seems like the transmission wants to downshift for a brief second but then doesn't and re-engages and accelerates again. I'm assuming its transmission related as the vehicle seems to behave fine at other times.

Second question... the truck does also experience the problem described in the TSB with the 2-1 downshift. But the truck is out of warranty. Would this still be covered if I brought it in to Ford?

Thanks...
Rick Cone

Old 03-08-2005, 06:35 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! If you have a minute check out the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand FTE.
Stick around someone will be by shortly to answer your question.
We are pleased you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE
…..See you on the boards.

Old 03-24-2005, 06:31 PM
natehall37
New User
Question in the same boat

Hey conekiller, I think that I have experienced the same thing. It sounds exactly like my situation, however I am in the same boat as you I am looking for answers. So if you figure it out can you please let me know?

Old 04-03-2005, 11:39 AM
rapturez
Freshman User
I experience close to that. Looking for answers too....
My overdrive light is flashing. Means some sort of shorted circuit or switch. My truck does that hard push thing when driving 1-2 and 2-3 gears...
One thing I tried was turning overdrive off, and the gears change smoothly. Who knows, maybe it is a switch thing and nothing bigger. Hopefully someone will answer ou prayers soon.. as I do not know any Electrical stuff. I am newbie when it comes to fixing my truck. But can follow instructions really good.

97 Expedition
4x4 Eddie Bauer