Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

What do you guys do with your old antifreeze?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 09:53 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What do you guys do with your old antifreeze?

What do you guys do with your old antifreeze? Is there a place I can take this to to dispose of it in a safe manner?

Old 03-06-2005, 10:02 AM
oldfordtrucker
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The recommended disposal for old antifreeze is to pour it down a sanitary sewer! If your community has a sewage treatment plant and you are connected to it, just dump it down the drain or down the toilet (if your wife isn't looking). Do not dump into a storm drain as the antifreeze will go directly to the environment. If you have a septic system, don't dump at home. From what I understand for the county environmental departmeent, the bad stuff in antifreeze is settled out in the seweage treatment plant and become part of the sludge that is further processed somehow.

Old 03-06-2005, 10:05 AM
Texascadillac42
Elder User
I mix mine with my 5 gallon jugs of used motor oil and take it all to Auto Zone, they take it for free.

Old 03-06-2005, 10:17 AM
Crash687
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by oldfordtrucker
The recommended disposal for old antifreeze is to pour it down a sanitary sewer! If your community has a sewage treatment plant and you are connected to it, just dump it down the drain or down the toilet (if your wife isn't looking). Do not dump into a storm drain as the antifreeze will go directly to the environment. If you have a septic system, don't dump at home. From what I understand for the county environmental departmeent, the bad stuff in antifreeze is settled out in the seweage treatment plant and become part of the sludge that is further processed somehow.
They stopped telling people to pour it down a sanitary sewer,

Take any old automotive fluids to your local recycling center or automotive center that will take the fluids for free.

Old 03-06-2005, 10:17 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Feed it to stray cats....

(NO! Just kidding)

Anti freeze seems to be irresistable to felines, and it kills them. It needs to be collected and re-used, but if it is old and not necessarily useful anymore, most parts stores accept it as a recyclable substance.

The next time you go to auto zone or wherever - bring it with you and see if you can turn it in at their waste disposal site. It's usually back next to the dumpster, but you have to sign on a clip-board as to the contents of what it is. IT'S FREE - costs you nothing but time, and you are doing it right...

(KUDOS TO YA FOR ASKING!)

Last edited by Greywolf; 03-06-2005 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:20 AM
maa139
Posting Guru
I take mine to the local quick oil change place.

Matt

Old 03-06-2005, 10:26 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Save your old A-FREEZE buckets

That stuff is expensive (can we agree on that? Yeah? I thought so...)

Never just dump it, use it over. We can reduce the amount we SPEND (first of all) by putting the same A-Freeze back in a motor we build when we get done. And thinking more on it, there will always come a day when you need a pre-mixed batch of coolant to add to a low system.

Any that is left over should be kept to the side. Put it back in the jugs that the new stuff came in - you might need it some day.

You can pretty much tell if it isn't any good anymore by looking at it. If it has a lot of rust in it - don't trust it. Use a drop-ball guage to read the protection factor. If it still reads fine: THERE'S NO REASON TO PITCH IT!

Scavenge, salvage, SAVE MONEY!!!

And the less stuff that gets buried somewhere, the better off all of us are. I wouldn't want to be downstream from a waste disposal site...

~Wolf sendzzzz

Last edited by Greywolf; 03-06-2005 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:49 AM
midlf
Senior User
Well the "does not freeze" part of anti-freeze does not wear out. But the add package of corrosion protection and whatever does wear out or become consumed. However antifreeze additives are sold so perhaps that could take care of the problem.

Old 03-06-2005, 10:50 AM
Mr.Ford 351W
Senior User
Thumbs up What to do????

UMM make a lemonade of anti-freeze!!! and take it to your friends!
and give to strangers!`
( i am just kidding)
take it to your store and PUT IN THE POOLS

Old 03-06-2005, 01:12 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
I let my used AF settle and pour the clean fluid into jugs for topping off systems as long as it tests good. Anything I can't use that way gets poured into the toilet per the instructions from my local wastewater department. Apparently the sewer "bugs" love the stuff, tastes like sugar to them.

My local parts store guys frown on mixing it with oil.

Old 03-06-2005, 02:37 PM
rangersvt04
Posting Guru
I drink mine. Puts hair on your chest.
I just take to work and put it our waste oil tank

Old 03-06-2005, 02:40 PM
cetane anyone ??
Senior User
Thats the problem. It tastes like "sugar" to dogs,cats, kids, who ever. The SPCA and john law don't like that. Causes liver failure. A real tough way to go. You get REAL sick.
Thats one reason for that evergreen antifreeze or whatever the name is. It is non toxic. But then it probably won't work as well. ?????????
Toxic waste is what built America. We have got to stick up for our rights by george!
(toxic humor) sorry.
Back before the days of ethylene glycol antifreeze, they used alcohol for antifreeze. (Before WWII, I think) The main problem was that the heat made it evaporate quickly. Had to check and add frequently.
If that was still the case---would it change the tailgate parties to the hood/radiator?

Old 03-06-2005, 03:05 PM
midlf
Senior User
Using alcohol for antifreeze post dates WWII by a number of years. I remember, in the '50's, dad having to change from alcohol based antifreeze to water every spring and back again in the fall. "Prestone" first became known to many because of its use in liquid cooled aircraft engines, such as the Allisons in P-38's, during WWII. It was sometime in the 60's I believe that ethylene glycol antifreeze became standard in cars.

Old 03-06-2005, 04:59 PM
trike1946
Logistics Pro

I take mine to the township recycle center. That way I don't have to bother mixing it with oil to get rid of it.

Old 03-06-2005, 06:21 PM
marspec
Senior User
Jiffy Lube in my area charges a quarter per gallon. Auto Zone and others have nice big signs on oil tanks which basically say oil only.

Quick Reply: What do you guys do with your old antifreeze?