General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Free and Accepted Masons where are you??

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 10:35 PM
DeckedoutF150
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Free and Accepted Masons where are you??

i just thought i would post up here a thread for the free and accepted masons. it kind of seems like masopry is a dying thing these days, i am the youngest in my lodge at age 25 but i was raised to MM when i was 24. i wish there was a way to spark intrest in the minds of people to get them to join. i know alot of people think we are a cult or something but they are very uneducated about masonry, if they were willing to join and learn more it would surprise them. they have pamflets out now to give to people that explains a little about masonry and tells a little of what the lodge is all about. please post off the name of your lodge, state and town its in and if you are a officer. if you are wondering if i am really a master mason or not PM me, you know what questions to ask me to know if i am for sure or not.

I am a member of Benjamin Franklin Lodge #719 in Hamilton Ohio and I am the Chaplain of out lodge for this year.

Old 03-06-2005, 07:46 AM
924x2150
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Over the years I had two gentleman (co-workers) approach me and ask me what I thought about the Mason's. They didn't invite me, to go with them..but seemed to be cautiously sizing me up as we briefly discussed some general principles of the Masons. I also have a friend in the Mason's and he is very quiet about the subject of what goes on at the meetings. I am also Catholic, it seemed that the Mason's I talked to were interested in my religion for some reason. It is all very secretive out here.

Old 03-06-2005, 11:16 AM
Flash
Posting Guru
My grandfather was a Shriner and my dad a Mason. I always thought about it but have never had the time for all of the memory work involved. At age 58, I'm not going to have time for it any more. It is a good organization and they do good works.

Old 03-06-2005, 11:18 AM
FLgargoyle
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How would one join the Masons if they wanted too? I don't know any Masons, and they sure don/t recruit or advertise. I've heard that most organizations, such as Masons, Elks, Moose, etc., are dying out. Too bad.

Old 03-06-2005, 11:33 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Q: What is a Mason?

Q: What is a Shriner?

These are thoughts that have puzzled me over time...

I do not know if these are organizations that would be either good or bad to be affiliated with. I don't know what they are about...

For all I know, they might be totally useless

What do they do?

~Wolf

Last edited by Greywolf; 03-06-2005 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:56 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Are there any Oddfellows out there anymore? One of the small towns I grew up in here in Northern Ca. had an Oddfellows hall, and they too were secretive about their goings-on. I used to belong to an Optimists club, but I was too much of a pessimist.... -TD

Old 03-06-2005, 12:07 PM
Ruckus
Posting Guru
Smile

Is there really a secret hand shake?

Old 03-06-2005, 12:27 PM
stuart1
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink FreeMasonry

Is the oldest fraternity in the world.
Secret organization? No.
Organization with secrets? Yes.

In past years it was taboo for a Mason to approach anyone and ask if they would care to join.
With dwindling membership it was felt that it wouldn't be such a bad idea to outright ask if someone would care to become a member.
The subject of Catholosism has been raised many times. The Fraternity is usually frowned upon by the Priests as being blasphemous to God and that it really is a form of religion and a cult.
Nothing could be farther from the truth.
FreeMasonry is open to any male, free born, of mature age and under the tongue of good report.
As for Catholics? I my City there are three Lodges of Masons. In each there are many members of the Catholic faith. In conversation with them each has stated they see no threat to their religion at all.
Anglicans are another religion that has threatened banishment from the Church for membership in the Fraternity.
Secrets?
You betcha. But so do the FBI, CIA, any Military has secrets. You can talk your mouth off trying to get them to tell even one of their secrets.
Masonry is open to any religion. In fact in many Lodge rooms there can be any number of Bibles open at any given time.
We don't care what religion you are, what color, race or any of that crap.
Being an honest citizen and treating others fairly is all that is asked.
Man I could go on for hours.
If anyone wants more infomation just ask anyone who is a FreeMason for an application.

Old 03-06-2005, 03:30 PM
VikingBabe
Posting Guru
My grandfather was Scottish Rite (The other two highest are Shriners and York Rite) and my mother was a "Rainbow Girl". So was I as I did not know I could have joined "Job's Daughters" because of what my grandfather was. The boys join as DeMolay. Could have joined the Eastern Star afterwards but did not have the time. My husband was approached to join the Masons at one time but did not have the time either nor the interest.

The ancient accepted history is the founders were those who served as masons building the Temple of Jerusulem that formed a Guild. At least that is the story. One reason why the architect tools in the most well known symbol of the Masons.
Basically, the Masons were a self help organization just as many Guilds were. As a Guild of craftsmen, secrets of the trade were kept and exchanged amongst the "brothers". The Guild helped out members whenever possible and where ever possible when in need....at least that was the idea. Couched in esoteric lore was one way to make sure no outsider learned craft secrets that would threaten the businesses. Made sure no "brother" decided to give away any secrets either...or else. That it is bound up in religious esoteric lore makes sense.

The Masons are and do more than that but that is the original jist.

It's not a Cult but has been accused of being that (and any other group that acts "different' from the accepted "norm") There are all kinds of misconceptions about them because of the Society secrets and ceremonies that bind them as Masons. Some are pretty "far out" there if you read some conspiracy theorists tracts.

Many of America's Founding Fathers were Masons.

Old 03-06-2005, 04:50 PM
DeckedoutF150
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Greywolf
Q: What is a Mason?

Q: What is a Shriner?

These are thoughts that have puzzled me over time...

I do not know if these are organizations that would be either good or bad to be affiliated with. I don't know what they are about...

For all I know, they might be totally useless

What do they do?

~Wolf

being a mason is a good thing and shriner is one of the higher organizations of masonry. masaons do great works and they work with kids alot. my lodge has an adopt a school program. we donate money to the school so kids that might not have money can go places with the school and so on. we also have learning programs for kids. also masons always take care of their brothern that are in need in the lodge weather its with money or in other ways. we also do work in the comunity. there are severl things going on in my lodge right now, like cepp phones for solders, pin pals for kids at the school we adopt, we help the salvation army ring the bell at christmas time, on average masons donate about $2 million dollars a day. i can tell you much about what we do in lodge but what i can say is what we do is based around the holy bible. one of the recomendations for joining is that you believe in a deity. it does not say jeaus christ but a deity. there are muslims that are masons but they are not commonly found in this country. plus if you are a member and you are out of town and you need help weather you be sick or car need fixed, all you would ahve to do is go to a lodge and they would help you in some way.

now as for some of our countries founding fathers being masons this is true. Henry Ford was a mason even heres a couple likns to web pages with famous masons:
http://www.hoffmanlodge412.org/famous.htm
http://www.durham.net/~cedar/famous.html
http://www.mastermason.com/cny-masonry/famous.htm this one tells of those who signed the constitution
http://www.la-mason.com/famous.htm
there are alot of famous free masons even Brad Paisly the country music singer is one. i have even sat in lodge with city council members.

Here are sites with general info on free masonry:
http://www.eskimo.com/~vecna/masonry.html
http://freemasonry.bcy.ca/info.html

Old 03-06-2005, 05:09 PM
33PPP
Senior User
Wink Deckedout150

I too am a member of the Mason's. I was raised 3 years ago and I am now the Jr. Deacon in the Plymouth Lodge AF & Am in Plymouth Ma. I was apprehensive to join at first, but my brother a member for over 10 years convinced me that it was a worthy Fraternity to join. And so far it has been one of the best things I have done in my life. We travel to many other lodges in the state through out the year. It's been one long learning curve if you know what I mean.
We have some younger members right out of Demolay. We have about 20 or so members under 40 and about 8 under 30. Feel free to check out our lodge at the plymouth lodge.

Good Luck and you should look foreward to moving up in the chairs.

Old 03-06-2005, 06:17 PM
Flip4ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
I am an inactive mason at the moment... i became Catholic and had to put myself in inactive status to appease my motherin law mostly (a hardcore Catholic) I asked our preist at the time, and he had no problem with it... but our new preist has a problem... but could site any good reasons why.... I personally do not see anything sacraligious about it.... but sometime you have to give up the things you like to appease other family members. I was the only one under the age of 35 int the whole lodge, but it was still fun.

Old 03-06-2005, 06:33 PM
fordborn
Post Fiend

I have often wondered about the Masons and what it took to become a member. My great grand father, my grand father, my uncle and my dad were all Masons and I know it was a very big part of their lives. My father died before we could discuss it so I know very little about them and their works but have often wondered what I may have missed.

Old 03-06-2005, 06:42 PM
shortymac83
Senior User
my great uncle was in the IOOF (International order of odd fellows), and I have a friend (who's 20) that is a mason...he asked me to join, I'm not too keen on that just as of yet...

Old 03-06-2005, 06:57 PM
mantta
Posting Guru

I have been a Master Mason for 30 years. I have not been as active in it as I should be but, I guess that wil come after I retire again.

Quick Reply: Free and Accepted Masons where are you??